• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool Vs Man UTD EL Ro16 1st Leg Pre Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight's referee has given out more cards this season than any other .... Moreno had better watch his ass and it's probably lucky Milner is out with a virus because he's usually guaranteed at least one.

Liverpool and Manchester United players should be wary of Spanish official Carlos Velasco Carballo on Thursday night as he is not afraid of going into his pockets to collect his yellow and red card.
The 44-year-old, who has been refereeing in La Liga since 2004, has shown 74 yellows and six reds during his last 12 games. Carballo's last match in the middle saw him issue eight yellows and one red during Deportivo's 3-3 draw with Malaga on Saturday.

Last edited:
The negativity on RedCafe is delightful - the vast majority think we're going to hand them their arse, they're right 😀

General gist : Other than the brilliant perfomance at Anfield last season, Van Gaal has been extremely lucky against this lot, and with De Gea saving his ass more than once. At some point, that luck will run out.

Lingard is suspended. Januzaj & Pereira are cup-tied,Fosu-Mensah is not registered.
Injured and unlikely to play/start : Borthwick-Jackson (out), Rooney (out), Valencia (doubtful), Keane (out), Jones (out), Schweinsteiger (out), Shaw (out), Young (out).

Last edited:
United's Away performances this season :
PL : 5 wins, 4 draws and 6 defeats, goal difference of 18-20.
EL : 1 win, 1 draw and 3 defeats

Likely United team :

.............................de Gea

Varela .....Smalling ...... Blind ....... Rojo

.............Herrera ............Schneiderlin

....Rashford........ Mata ........Memphis

...........................Martial
---
Romero; Darmian, Riley, Valencia, Poole, Carrick, Fellaini

Blind was supposedly virtually out on his feet vs. WBA so there is a possible change there with Darmian replacing him and Rojo going to CB.

The negativity on RedCafe is delightful - the vast majority think we're going to hand them their arse, they're right 😀

General gist : Other than the brilliant perfomance at Anfield last season, Van Gaal has been extremely lucky against this lot, and with De Gea saving his ass more than once. At some point, that luck will run out.

Lingard is suspended. Januzaj & Pereira are cup-tied,Fosu-Mensah is not registered.
Injured and unlikely to play/start : Borthwick-Jackson (out), Rooney (out), Valencia (doubtful), Keane (out), Jones (out), Schweinsteiger (out), Shaw (out), Young (out).

I remember when the draw was first made, someone mentioned that they were confident on RedCafe that they'd stuff us. That was right after they'd stuffed the mighty Shrewsbury 3-0 and the Danish Autobots 5-1. The confidence must've hit record highs after their wins over the Goons and Watford. And then West Brom happened and they're depressed again. That's the roller coaster stuff we ourselves have been used to in recent seasons bar 13/14. While we see light at the end of the tunnel though, I hope their ride lasts forever. Just hope they're not done with the downward swing these 2 weeks.

Didn't know Lingard was suspended, so that's good news. I dread opponents' pace as much as height. I suppose Mata will start on the right then with Depay on the other flank and Martial pushed up front. Unless Van Gaal's going to play the world's best youngster Rashford up front and Martial on the left.

Romero; Darmian, Riley, Valencia, Poole, Carrick, Fellaini

I hope we get Fellaini sent off from the bench if he doesn't start. Have Benteke walk past him, brush his feet and exaggerate the contact, sprawling onto the grass perhaps? Have Allen going over to give Benteke his last rites for extra dramatic effect.

Our pressing game is best suited against teams who actually want to come out and play. Van Gaal won't - he'll defend deep, let us have possession and try and hit us on the break with pace.

Not sure therefore if Lallana and Firmino are suited to play this game. Their pressing and quick feet are good against teams which push forward, and afford them pockets of space. Against teams which defend deep, they end up running around in circles.

I'd definitely play a two man attack with Coutinho behind them. That two man attack could be either Origi-Sturridge or Benteke-Sturridge.

Origi-Sturridge is a naturally better combination, as Origi does the running that Sturridge doesn't want to. But for this game, I'd be tempted to give Benteke-Sturridge a go for the following reasons:

1) Against a team that's going to defend deep, you need your best finishers on the pitch, and Benteke>Origi at finishing every day of the week
2) Benteke's confidence should be high after the winner against Palace
3) Benteke has a good record against United. Plus Blind and Smalling are both liable to be bullied as Rondon showed on the weekend.

Tonight's referee has given out more cards this season than any other .... Moreno had better watch his ass and it's probably lucky Milner is out with a virus because he's usually guaranteed at least one.

Just seen this in a report:
United defender Chris Smalling and Liverpool full-back Alberto Moreno are both one booking away from a suspension.

How about we lose Moreno and they lose Smalling for the second leg. I'll take that trade.

Our pressing game is best suited against teams who actually want to come out and play. Van Gaal won't - he'll defend deep, let us have possession and try and hit us on the break with pace.

Not sure therefore if Lallana and Firmino are suited to play this game. Their pressing and quick feet are good against teams which push forward, and afford them pockets of space. Against teams which defend deep, they end up running around in circles.

It works the other way though in that, United like to play out from deep, you have Blind and then you have the likes Herrara dropping deep to collect possession. I think you have to get amongst that deep triangle at the heart of their defense and stop it building the play, then you cut off the midfield and attack.

I'm nearly inclined to agree with your point about Sturridge and Benteke, the only issue being that both of them are lazy as fuck. So it could either be a partnership made in heaven if they click (and get a few chances), or an attack that's too easily cut off from the rest of the team.

We all know that that teenwolf looking motherfucker is going to have another stormer in goal for them tonight, they are so fucking jammy. I fully expect us to hammer them, him to pull out a string of super saves, and them to dick us 0-1 or something.

Interesting about the ref. Just seen that skybet have a price boost of 8/1 to 10/1 for both a red card and penalty awarded. Might invest a tenner on it given the ref's liking to wave the cards.

A rumour on Twitter of a back 3 with Caulker in the middle of the 3.

Can't see that. Klopp isn't a 3 at the back type I don't think

And yet that's exactly what United have been all season .. tons of possession but a failure to convert that into goals. I don't see United sitting deep and going ultra-defensive at all, ergo it will hopefully suit Firmino & Lallana.
Their problem is in attack, they simply lack creativity from midfield and struggle in the final third. I think the way both teams have matured this season, and the way the are playing now, it suits us better.

Last edited:
Just seen this in a report:

How about we lose Moreno and they lose Smalling for the second leg. I'll take that trade.
Oh Moreno will get his for sure (with this Referee) and although Smalling is now a damn good player and isn't a dirty or petulant player he's still a CB which means the occasional Yellow. Yep can see that happening with Firmino, Studge and Lallana up front.

I'm more optimistic than some of you about the ref. Obv.we do have to be careful with him, but he is Spanish and we tend to do well with Spanish refs. 🙂

A lot is being made of the referee's propensity for giving yellow and red cards but that's mainly in the spanish domestic game which is card happy at the best of times. In European games his average is way lower, in his last 18 European games he's given out 60 cards (59 yellow and 1 red)which averages out at under 4 per game (3.88) and when compared to his his last 18 league games in Spain it's 127 cards (120 yellow and 7 red) which averages out at 7 per game (7.05).

In Abu Dhabi at the mo. Game kicks off here at midnight. Ringing around to the pubs now trying to find one with commentary. Loads showing it but said they'll have live music playing, so no commentary. Jokers.

Nervous about the game. Fingers crossed we batter them. Milner and Flanagan will be big losses. They are two who would totally understand the magnitude of the game and wouldn't allow the Mancs try bully us.

In Abu Dhabi at the mo. Game kicks off here at midnight. Ringing around to the pubs now trying to find one with commentary. Loads showing it but said they'll have live music playing, so no commentary. Jokers.

Nervous about the game. Fingers crossed we batter them. Milner and Flanagan will be big losses. They are two who would totally understand the magnitude of the game and wouldn't allow the Mancs try bully us.

If you can get down to Dubai, than Goodfellas at the Rami Roze hotel is where the local branch of the supporters watch the match. There will be commentary in English.

If you can get down to Dubai, than Goodfellas at the Rami Roze hotel is where the local branch of the supporters watch the match. There will be commentary in English.
Travelling to another city to watch an LFC game on the telly, that's some hardcore shit right there.

Thanks man. Got a place here in Abu Dhabi with English commentary. It's the local supporters club place. Handy. If hate to watch the match with the commentary muted and a shit live band banging on.

So if Milner is out is he gonna throw Allen in to tighten it up or go balls out and have Coutinho and Lallana with Firmino and Studge?

If it's the former, I'd start with Lallana over Coutinho. I know he won't coz he rested him on Sunday, but on form I reckon he should, swapping them on 60 or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom