• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Man UTD (0) Vs Liverpool (2) EL Ro16 2nd Leg Pre Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
-----------------Ming------------------
Clyne--Lovren--Sakho--Moreno
----------------Can-------------------
-----Henderson---Allen-----------
--Lallana----Firmino--Coutinho

If Moreno is hurt, what do we do there?

I would go with those front ...

Flanagan would of been ideal..

Grrr..

Though Smith has performed well when called upon, so he is worth a shout..

Flanagan would of been ideal..

Grrr..

Though Smith has performed well when called upon, so he is worth a shout..

He'd been injured for like 18 months, it wasn't that unreasonable that we left him out. We had Gomez when we picked the squad.

With Fellaini: 6 wins, 7 draws, 9 losses, 27% win ratio, 1.13 points per game.

Without Fellaini: 13 wins, 3 draws, 3 losses, 68% win ratio, 2.21 points per game.

JS85195617.jpg

Don't need to be a rocket scientist to see the divisions in the squad.

If Moreno is hurt, what do we do there?

I would go with those front ...

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with using Smith for this game at LB. He's done well when played this season, but this is a big, big game. Like Moreno, he's really attack-minded but not that sound defensively; I think Van Gaal and their right mid / wing back will target him once they see him on the pitch. The alternative I suppose is to play someone like Milner or Ibe out of position. I don't think either of them is a lesser defensive player than Smith, and as the general consensus right now seems to be that one or both will be on the bench, putting one of them at LB feels okay as it isn't weakening a spot to strength another.

Between Milner and Ibe, I favour the idea of using the latter - he seems to be really short of confidence this season, so maybe playing him further back (like Rodgers did when bringing him through) will take some attacking pressure off him, while giving him more space ahead of him to start his attacking runs. When his mind's switched on and he doesn't look like he's feeling sorry for himself, he's an able defender out wide and offers pace, mobility as well as physical strength. Could help to rebuild his confidence while offering us a more experienced (relative to Smith) player on the pitch. Besides, I'm not averse to Milner starting in Coutinho's place as the left AM.

I think Klopp will probably go with Smith though.

I like the Ibe idea but it'd be a lot more plausible if the need was for the right back position rather than the left. Not that i think Ibe couldn't cope on the left.

I like the Ibe idea but it'd be a lot more plausible if the need was for the right back position rather than the left. Not that i think Ibe couldn't cope on the left.

The advantage of having Clyne though is that he can play both sides, so we could swap him if needs be. I think Milner would be a safer bet at fullback, personally.

The advantage of having Clyne though is that he can play both sides, so we could swap him if needs be. I think Milner would be a safer bet at fullback, personally.

Good point Clyne looked fine on the left, Milner does seem the safe bet though.

We've had Lallana at left back too havent we?

Swapping Clyne to accommodate Ibe as a stand-in RB will be too Benitezy I think. If Ibe isn't as good a LB stand-in as a RB one, then I think we should just stick with Smith with Milner protecting ahead of him, or Milner with Coutinho.

Good point Clyne looked fine on the left, Milner does seem the safe bet though.

We've had Lallana at left back too havent we?

Yeah, it's a bit more of a waste though putting Lallana back there, he seems to be linking well with Firmino.

As long as it isn't a CB at full back. I remember one game Rodgers started with four CBs and we were horribly shite

Stephen Hawking at left back shouldn't make much difference.
In fact, as a general rule, I reckon we could swap Mignolet and Moreno without much impact.

I wouldn't put Milner at full back personally as he's too slow and Utd have plenty of pace out wide with Depay , Lingard and Martial. I'd put Smith in.

I presume whoever plays LB (Smith?) tonight will be up against Lingard or Mata, maybe Depay at a long shot.

I'm really starting to wish we didn't fluff up all those chances to make it 3-0 last week now. Nervous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom