• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Slot – first impressions?

I think there may be some management smarts in that there’s an awareness Klopps attachment to players had a long term downside - being too comfy

And the new manager needed to get people back on their toes. It happens over time with any leader in any org who has longevity.

Bit of a kick in the posterior.

Loves control and defensive stability. The kind of control we need:

Slot on clean sheets: “Pleasing although in the second half we needed Alisson. In an ideal situation he is only there to play out of the back. It was good that we kept control of the game.”

I think he's very direct and hard on the players in the press so far. That is fine if we are winning, as is everything else.

View: https://x.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1830288022983622686

One of Klopp’s few weaknesses, I felt, was giving Man United a bit too much respect, particularly at Old Trafford. We all knew United’s current team didn’t warrant it, but perhaps the sense of historical rivalry played on Klopp’s mind a little bit.

Slot seems to have none of it. Coming from Eredivisie he has a measure of Ten Hag and was absolutely ruthless in dismantling his tactics. Then at 3:0 we went into low gear, protecting the result and our legs just like we would against any other team. Nothing personal, just taking care of business.

The Mancs wanted Klopp before we got him. I can't help wondering whether he might have soft-pedalled his statements about them out of respect for that, a bit like a player not celebrating if he scores against his previous club.

Slot's done well so far. I like his straightforward replies to questions and I'm impressed with the way he's built on what went before on the field.

View: https://x.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1830288022983622686

One of Klopp’s few weaknesses, I felt, was giving Man United a bit too much respect, particularly at Old Trafford. We all knew United’s current team didn’t warrant it, but perhaps the sense of historical rivalry played on Klopp’s mind a little bit.

Slot seems to have none of it. Coming from Eredivisie he has a measure of Ten Hag and was absolutely ruthless in dismantling his team’s game. Then at 3:0 we went into low gear, protecting the result and our legs just like we would against any other team. Nothing personal, just taking care of business.

The reason we are better than united now has very little to do with slot, and a ton to do with klopp, who deep dicked them many a time.

The reason we are better than united now has very little to do with slot, and a ton to do with klopp, who deep dicked them many a time.

That’s true, Klopp was the one who took a club with no direction and made it a world-class outfit. Any comparisons between Klopp and Slot need to acknowledge that fact - Slot himself certainly does.

If we’re taking Ipswich as this year’s Luton, we’ve already bettered 2 results from last season by +4. That’ll do me for now.

If any one's got the stats on the KMs run by the team under Klopp vs Slot pls?
We seem far more organised in defence, sacrificing chance creation but not enough to hamper us

If any one's got the stats on the KMs run by the team under Klopp vs Slot pls?
We seem far more organised in defence, sacrificing chance creation but not enough to hamper us
This part I'm suspicious of. We aren't conceding certain kinds of breaks, that were suicidal, but we are conceding chances, including big ones. Statistically we are a little lucky to have three clean sheets.

This part I'm suspicious of. We aren't conceding certain kinds of breaks, that were suicidal, but we are conceding chances, including big ones. Statistically we are a little lucky to have three clean sheets.
So I'm guessing you missed the stats above? Highest Xg / lowest Xga?

So I'm guessing you missed the stats above? Highest Xg / lowest Xga?

I think if you ship the first goal, you will have higher xga, as you have to risk more chasing a game. This is what fucked us so badly last season, and we haven't exactly started a single game that well this season, have we? The reason we haven't done yet isn't that we are so rock solid, but that we are good, perhaps have improved a bit, and have been lucky.

We simply don't have any sort of reasonable sample size for these stats to be meaningful.

Maybe true re: Quansah. But Konate has looked good and played an important role in the last two games, so it looks to have been a good decision.
Indeed. Let’s see how it plays out when we need Quansah, as we all know it’s only a matter of time that we will. Hopefully he comes back stronger for it.

What evidence is there that Quansah has had his confidence assassinated? He looked a bit pissed off after he was subbed and didn't jump up & down when we scored ... is that it?
Starting the season at CB, being hooked at HT, being singled out for criticism when the whole team lost duels in that first, then being benched not getting a single minute since even though all three results were comfortable is evidence enough for me. Time will tell if I’m right if and when he gets another chance I guess. Of course you may believe his confidence has not been affected.

"I don't have any evidence, and I'll now change "confidence assassinated" to "confidence affected." On the latter characterization, I'd agree that it's hardly a boost, however how he dealt with the whole Matip thing means it might make him super motivated too. "My idea was to get over him anyway." That isn't the declaration of a brittle will.

If he thought that about Matip, he can bide his time for a ding dong with Konate. I'll be fine watching that competition, I just hope it isn't inevitably decided by a doctor.

Starting the season at CB, being hooked at HT, being singled out for criticism when the whole team lost duels in that first, then being benched not getting a single minute since even though all three results were comfortable is evidence enough for me. Time will tell if I’m right if and when he gets another chance I guess. Of course you may believe his confidence has not been affected.
So no actual evidence that he has lost any confidence, just some events that might or might not lead to him losing confidence. I could equally say that Slot has torpedoed Elliot's, Jones' and Endo's confidence as they haven't featured to any extent in a proper Slot lineup; poor Kelleher is shot to ribbons and even Trent is probably very nervous having been subbed in all 3 matches so far

Indeed. Let’s see how it plays out when we need Quansah, as we all know it’s only a matter of time that we will. Hopefully he comes back stronger for it.

If he doesn't, then its proof he's not ready to be starting in a title challenging team. He looked great at times last season, and he bounced back from his mistake that was part of what cost us the title challenge against United last season too.

I think fans are making more negative comments about his substitution than Slot did.

Quansah will get plenty of game time when cup competitions get going. Konate has little chance of playing 3 games in 8 days. I imagine the two of them to flip flop at various stages of the season, but Konate has been excellent, so i don't really get the panic.

In the Man Utd post match interview Slot talked about wanting players who "aggressively win duels" and I think there's an argument now to say that Quansah will have in the back of his mind that he needs to be 100% committed to the duels he finds himself in.

Reactions: LMG
Back
Top Bottom