• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool VS Man City CL QF 1st leg pre Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If all midfielders are fit, I'd have Can & Wijnaldum in.

Henderson and Milner are too slow to cope with City's pace and incisiveness.

Can won't be fit by all accounts.

I think Milner will play at right back. Ox Hendo Gini in midfield.

This is defo the calmest I've ever been thinking about a match of this size against such obviously great opposition.

I'm not being funny but I don't know how many of their players have won loads of things. I know hardly any of ours have. But say Sterling... He's won a league cup since he left 3 years ago. Silva has won the league. I dunno how many of them will know what's hit them tomorrow. Sane. Fuck all. De Bruyne. 26 years old. Won fuck all. Kyle Walker. 27 Absolutely fuck all.

Fuck em.

Not only is this our best shot at winning it just cos it's at home first, but also cos City can win the league against Utd this weekend.

We can say it won't matter & they'll be pragmatic about it all we like, but there isn't a player in that squad who will want to miss the weekends match & that could mean they'll be prepared to give a couple of percent less than usual.

It's often said you can't win a two legged tie in the first leg, but we could certainly lose it by not taking advantage of this opportunity.

I'm fucking shitting myself, but like skully, it's a boss feeling. This is what being a footy fan is all about.

I just remembered I won a shagload when we played them in the league by backing that we'd score 4 or more and that there would be 6 or more goals in the game, so I'm all in on that again.

They will be SHITTING themselves. They'll double up on Salah and Mane will get a hatrick. There's no point thinking otherwise. Kompany's hamstring has probably just gone in his sleep while he was dreaming like a dog.

Fuck em.

Hello Everyone

Many thanks for that post @Woland - it's kinda bought my manhood back regarding feelings towards this game. Initially my feeling was - we will do them !! - but as the day has got closer to this first leg - I begin to feel a bit of the old nerves kicking in. It feels like that last time when we beat them in the league there was a real cause for redemption/revenge after what happened in that 5-0 loss and we had to prove to the rest rest of the world we were just as good as them. This time - hearing Matip is out, Can is out - it feels kind of strange - almost as if the last game against them never happened.

I really don't know what to expect - and it makes me nervous thinking about Sane vs TAA. Surely the boy will not be shown up and taken for a ride again - coz what Rashford did well .. you can multiply by 5 as to what Sane will do. But as Shearer said regarding the weekend - 2nd half against Palace he was a different player and he attacked them - so if he starts instead of Clyne then lets hope he gives that Sane guy something to think about. I have no doubt that the midfield will be Henderson, Gini, and Ox in that starting lineup. Front three pick themselves, only mystery being who plays at right-back ?

I really hope we play a tactical game against them and it's not just all gung-ho this time, it has to be more akin to the way we played them last season at home when we won the game 1-0. That was a tactical masterclass from Klopp with a depleted squad that had not won for what 7/8 ? games.

I don't feel we will be humiliated on our own turf - I expect every player to turn up for this game, but what worries me from the press conference is Klopp's own appearance ? - there was not this same expression of determination to actually win as we saw before the league game. Is he worried about losing more players and Everton in the next game ? - I get the feeling that the club's hierarchy may expect him to not treat this upcoming game with the same importance as finishing in the top 4 in the league.

Also - I do have this feeling that UEFA want a final of Barca vs Madrid this time round - the final showdown between Messi vs Ronaldo on a world club stage. Fuck knows - but with Juve losing so badly you get the feeling it maybe heading in that direction. Still find it hard to believe we have landed these City c*nts !!

MORON

Shitting myself for this one. I fear a monster fuck up like the away league match rendering the second leg meaningless and the whole thing a flop.

It's that half time at Istanbul feeling I hate the thought of

If I remember correctly I thought Milner did well against them? He's not going to last 95 mins though.

I'm not even that worried if we don't win tonight, it most certainly won't be over as we score more away from home anyway and I'm really confident we can go there, score a few, and get a result. Just feeling good about this despite the regular naysayers and worriers shitting themselves.

I keep reading that the league victory over them will have given us confidence we can do it again, which has some merit I guess. My concern though is that we showed our hand there, and City will be better prepared for it this time, and that Guardiola has a plan to overcome it. You can guarantee we're going to bring the same assaulting pressure. Leap on Fernandinho when it's played to him, don't let him turn, harass, try to nick it off him and spring the counter. It worked a treat a few months back, but surely Pep knows that's coming again?

I suspect they'll try to bypass the first line of press. That pinged chip over the midfield line to Sterling or Sane out wide, and try to expose our full-backs one on one will be the go. Sane made a mess of us for his goal in the home league, they'll look to bring him in more rather than hoping their midfield triumvirate will get space to create - because they won't.

Games played at the pace that this one will be played at - and it'll be a million miles per hour for the first 30 minutes - always ensue in tow things: 1 - mistakes. Top players usually survive, the next level get exposed. Look for the Lovren's, TAA's, Otamendi's, etc to make a blooper or 5. The pace of the game will get to them. And 2 - it'll open up late, and really open up. The game stretches, you can't continue with the same level of intensity and pressure, and gaps appear.

What I am looking forward to is seeing who steps up and not only manages in this type of pressure, but revels in it. You could argue that this is the biggest game of every single player in our side's career. The Europa League final perhaps, but is this bigger? Salah had Egypt's qualifier, and the insanity it brought... But surely the vast majority of our players haven't had anything like this for club or country? Have they got the balls to live in this heat, and demand the ball, and take risks, and be prepared to try and change the shape of a game that'll be the biggest of their lives? You'll find out a lot about some of the players we speculate over every single day of the week tonight.

Ultimately, I have no fucking clue what the scoreline will be. I could see us sneaking one, or I could see us getting done 5-4 just as easily - but I will guarantee last half-hour goals. I just see the game opening up, and the absolute quality players on the pitch taking advantage of it as the game wears on.

I actually think we set up better for the second leg, by virtue of our terrific away from so far in this comp, and our counter-attacking nature. Key is to keep ourselves in it in this first tie. Typically a high-scoring draw giving them away goals would be a disaster, in this instance I'd happily take a 2-2 or something.

Anyway, we've waited 10-odd years for a night like this to come around again. Let it fucking rip.

Last edited:
This is defo the calmest I've ever been thinking about a match of this size against such obviously great opposition.

I'm not being funny but I don't know how many of their players have won loads of things. I know hardly any of ours have. But say Sterling... He's won a league cup since he left 3 years ago. Silva has won the league. I dunno how many of them will know what's hit them tomorrow. Sane. Fuck all. De Bruyne. 26 years old. Won fuck all. Kyle Walker. 27 Absolutely fuck all.

Fuck em.

Yeah... it is a bit weird...

I'd say that 99% of the vibe i've been receiving is that City are such heavy favourites that we expect we are gonna lose...

I ain't so sure that they are "the best premier league team ever" etc...

We can do these and I think we might smack em.

Of course we might just get smacked as well... i am shitting it...

Just woke up from a dream of going to a final with my mate who I've been to all finals with, who died 2 years ago. Normal scene of bars before hand, a mix of regular, corporate and blag tickets in our group. Ended as I was making my way into the complimentary pre match bar (yes I had the corporate) so don't know the score ... but we were at the final. It's a sign from above.

I might not even sleep tonight

I cant!! It's on at 2 am here... and I haven't got it on my Vietnamese fucking bag of shit satellite network.... So i'm hoping one of yous will be posting some fucking streaming links... so I can watch a spinning symbol saying its loading....

It's a disaster...

Just woke up from a dream of going to a final with my mate who I've been to all finals with, who died 2 years ago. Normal scene of bars before hand, a mix of regular, corporate and blag tickets in our group. Ended as I was making my way into the complimentary pre match bar (yes I had the corporate) so don't know the score ... but we were at the final. It's a sign from above.

Yeah man... I'm getting slightly over excited too... I love your omen chief... it's guaranteed victory that is... I can feel it in the ether...

My dog is mystic as fuck, he basically avoids me and wanders around the house and outdoors doing guard dog duties but somehow when I'm watching the footy he often appears and pays me attention and we always ALWAYS score when he shows up, It is crazy... I have no idea how he knows but...It's some mystic shit that is.

But I follow the rules, I never call him in because that is not the same as him using his mystic goal antenna and I don't wanna jinx it... I possibly think I might be excessively superstitious perhaps...and I apply my superstitious nature it to many stupid things, I am in a betting sweeepstake here at work, and the year we finished second with Suarez I predicted we would win one of the later season games and we lost...

The following week I picked we would lose.. and we won..

So then I picked another defeat... and we won again...

So that was that, the superstition was formed and now like an anti-Mark Lawrenson I never pick a Liverpool win even though I think we might win and even though there is money riding on my weeks picks etc

Yes...

I suspect I might be getting over excited.

I cant!! It's on at 2 am here... and I haven't got it on my Vietnamese fucking bag of shit satellite network.... So i'm hoping one of yous will be posting some fucking streaming links... so I can watch a spinning symbol saying its loading....

It's a disaster...
Install Acestream right now and be ready for that.
The website based streams are generally shite.

I keep reading that the league victory over them will have given us confidence we can do it again, which has some merit I guess. My concern though is that we showed our hand there, and City will be better prepared for it this time, and that Guardiola has a plan to overcome it. You can guarantee we're going to bring the same assaulting pressure. Leap on Fernandinho when it's played to him, don't let him turn, harass, try to nick it off him and spring the counter. It worked a treat a few months back, but surely Pep knows that's coming again?

I suspect they'll try to bypass the first line of press. That pinged chip over the midfield line to Sterling or Sane out wide, and try to expose our full-backs one on one will be the go. Sane made a mess of us for his goal in the home league, they'll look to bring him in more rather than hoping their midfield triumvirate will get space to create - because they won't.

Good post, wanted to pick up on this point, as despite this being the correct thing for Pep to do, I can't see him doing it, he's a man that never likes to compromise on his pass at all costs philosophy, so whilst I reckon he's got a plan to deal with the Fernandinho trap, I don't think it involves long balls, he'll find a way to out pass our press. To be fair, for long times at Anfield they did this very well, but it only takes a couple of turnovers to let us in, and that's what we do so well.

In regards to this tie, I don't think we'll go through, this City team are too good for us this season, we need the summer and Keita and whoever else we sign to really push them, but I'm not too fussed. We can play this game free of pressure and expectation in my eyes, go into the game and play our natural game, and produce a spectacule, it'll be one of the best champions league ties of the last few years, but I expect City will have enough to edge us out.

In regards to this tie, I don't think we'll go through, this City team are too good for us this season, we need the summer and Keita and whoever else we sign to really push them, but I'm not too fussed. We can play this game free of pressure and expectation in my eyes, go into the game and play our natural game, and produce a spectacule, it'll be one of the best champions league ties of the last few years, but I expect City will have enough to edge us out.
We do not play this game free of pressure. We are Liverpool, European royalty– 5 european cups and 3 UEFA cups. Man City have 1 cup winner's cup. Yes, they're swimming in Arab money, they're supposedly the best thing since sliced bread and we haven't won owt in years, but I think there will always be expectation on us in these big European nights, and rightly so.

Ryan has a point regarding them being ready for us this time. Other teams tried the same type of press as us following our win but failed. The solution is easy for them ... when they have the ball at the back and are passing it around they have been told to pass to specific individuals who will be free from the pressing and waiting at a specific position. I saw in the their game against west ham .. a back line city player just pass without looking...knowing someone would be at that position. It was clearly a way to overcome the issue they found with us.

For us i think we need to keep our heads cool and just keep the fucking ball and stop any of their build up. We shouuld not be attempting to play at 100mph .. its mad and tiring and we will lose control of the game.

“I can really understand that everybody makes a big thing of the game – it is a big thing. It’s only football still, but it’s a big game,” the manager told Liverpoolfc.com.
“It’s what we were all dreaming of when we were young so having it is pretty special. I’m absolutely excited about the opportunity we have.
“We know how difficult it will be but that’s no problem. In the Champions League quarter-finals if you had an easy game something would be wrong. It’s not an easy game – it’s actually the opposite.
“But because it’s football and because we have a lot of talented boys in our squad, we have a chance. And that’s absolutely enough to go into the game with a lot of optimism; without any guarantees but with a lot of optimism.
“Hopefully we can really deliver. That’s important. It’s not granted but I think we have a good chance to deliver – and then it will be a very interesting game.”

Team Comparison in CL

[xtable]
{colgroup}
{col=75x@}{/col}{col}{/col}{col=50%x@}{/col}{col}{/col}{col=75x@}{/col}
{/colgroup}
{thead}
{tr}
{th=colspan:2}Liverpool{/th}
{th}Comparison{/th}
{th=colspan:2}Manchester City{/th}
{/tr}
{/thead}
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}
image.php
{/td}
{td}8{/td}
{th=scope:row}Games Played{/th}
{td}8{/td}
{td}
image.php
{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
  • Defence

[xtable]
    {colgroup}
    {col=25%x@}{/col}{col=50%x@}{/col}{col=25%x@}{/col}
    {/colgroup}
    {thead}
    {tr}
    {th}Liverpool{/th}
    {th}Comparison{/th}
    {th}Manchester City{/th}
    {/tr}
    {/thead}
    {tbody}
    {tr}
    {td}6{/td}
    {th=scope:row}Goals Conceded{/th}
    {td}7{/td}
    {/tr}
    {tr}
    {td}5{/td}
    {th=scope:row}Clean Sheets{/th}
    {td}4{/td}
    {/tr}
    {tr}
    {td}22{/td}
    {th=scope:row}Shots Faced (on target){/th}
    {td}29{/td}
    {/tr}
    {tr}
    {td}98{/td}
    {th=scope:row}Tackles Won{/th}
    {td}80{/td}
    {/tr}
    {tr}
    {td}50{/td}
    {th=scope:row}Tackles Lost{/th}
    {td}42{/td}
    {/tr}
    {tr}
    {td}66.2%{/td}
    {th=scope:row}Tackles Won (%){/th}
    {td}65.6%{/td}
    {/tr}
    {tr}
    {td}473{/td}
    {th=scope:row}Duels Won{/th}
    {td}415{/td}
    {/tr}
    {tr}
    {td}428{/td}
    {th=scope:row}Duels lost{/th}
    {td}374{/td}
    {/tr}
    {tr}
    {td}52.5%{/td}
    {th=scope:row}Duels won (%){/th}
    {td}52.6%{/td}
    {/tr}
    {/tbody}
    [/xtable]

• Attack

[xtable]
    {colgroup}
    {/colgroup}
    {thead}
    {tr}
    {th}Liverpool{/th}
    {th}Comparison{/th}
    {th}Manchester City{/th}
    {/tr}
    {/thead}
    {tbody}
    {tr}
    {td}28{/td}
    {th=scope:row}Goals Scored{/th}
    {td}19{/td}
    {/tr}
    {tr}
    {td}64{/td}
    {th=scope:row}Shots On Target{/th}
    {td}44{/td}
    {/tr}
    {tr}
    {td}53{/td}
    {th=scope:row}Shots Off Target{/th}
    {td}32{/td}
    {/tr}
    {tr}
    {td}54.7%{/td}
    {th=scope:row}Shot Accuracy (excluding blocked shots){/th}
    {td}57.9%{/td}
    {/tr}
    {tr}
    {td}23.9%{/td}
    {th=scope:row}Conversion Rate (%){/th}
    {td}25%{/td}
    {/tr}
    {tr}
    {td}22{/td}
    {th=scope:row}Assists{/th}
    {td}14{/td}
    {/tr}
    {/tbody}
    [/xtable]

• [xtable]
      {colgroup}
      {/colgroup}
      {thead}
      {tr}
      {th}Liverpool{/th}
      {th}Comparison{/th}
      {th}Manchester City{/th}
      {/tr}
      {/thead}
      {tbody}
      {tr}
      {td}4,187{/td}
      {th=scope:row}Successful Passes{/th}
      {td}5,596{/td}
      {/tr}
      {tr}
      {td}772{/td}
      {th=scope:row}Unsuccessful Passes{/th}
      {td}617{/td}
      {/tr}
      {tr}
      {td}84.4%{/td}
      {th=scope:row}Pass accuracy{/th}
      {td}90.1%{/td}
      {/tr}
      {tr}
      {td}30{/td}
      {th=scope:row}Successful crosses{/th}
      {td}19{/td}
      {/tr}
      {tr}
      {td}91{/td}
      {th=scope:row}Unsuccessful Crosses{/th}
      {td}62{/td}
      {/tr}
      {tr}
      {td}24.8%{/td}
      {th=scope:row}Cross accuracy{/th}
      {td}23.5%{/td}
      {/tr}
      {tr}
      {td}115{/td}
      {th=scope:row}Successful dribbles{/th}
      {td}150{/td}
      {/tr}
      {tr}
      {td}62{/td}
      {th=scope:row}Unsuccessful dribbles{/th}
      {td}55{/td}
      {/tr}
      {tr}
      {td}65%{/td}
      {th=scope:row}Dribbles success{/th}
      {td}73.2%{/td}
      {/tr}
      {/tbody}
      [/xtable]
      • Discipline

[xtable]
        {colgroup}
        {/colgroup}
        {thead}
        {tr}
        {th}Liverpool{/th}
        {th}Comparison{/th}
        {th}Manchester City{/th}
        {/tr}
        {/thead}
        {tbody}
        {tr}
        {td}77{/td}
        {th=scope:row}Fouls Won{/th}
        {td}77{/td}
        {/tr}
        {tr}
        {td}99{/td}
        {th=scope:row}Fouls Conceded{/th}
        {td}77{/td}
        {/tr}
        {tr}
        {td}8{/td}
        {th=scope:row}Yellow Cards{/th}
        {td}13{/td}
        {/tr}
        {tr}
        {td}1{/td}
        {th=scope:row}Red Cards{/th}
        {td}0{/td}
        {/tr}
        {/tbody}
        [/xtable]

At his pre-match press conference, Guardiola was quizzed on whether the manner of City’s loss at Anfield three months ago would persuade him to adapt his naturally attacking philosophy on this occasion.
He rejected the suggestion.
Klopp struck a similar chord in his appraisal of the tie, signalling that Liverpool do not intend to let the ambition at the heart of their game be diminished by pressure or practicalities.
“Usually in a quarter-final or semi-final, you can think about playing the first game at home or the first game away and not conceding a goal,” said the German.
“But it’s against City – they can score at Anfield, they can score at home or they can score on the moon!
“It’s not about getting a result, it’s about winning the game and trying to win the second one as well. We don’t think too much about the second leg in Manchester. We only go into the game and want to enjoy it; we want to work hard, be on our highest level and make the people happy. That’s the plan.”
It was a nine-minute blitz that defeated City last time.
With the score 1-1 and the match evenly balanced early in the second half, a frantic passage of play saw goals from Roberto Firmino, Sadio Mane – who also hit the post – and Mohamed Salah establish a lead that even a late flurry from the visitors could not overcome.

Klopp does not usually lean on the previous match against an opponent to inform his players of what is required for the latest one, but admitted an exception in this case.
“It will be involved in the meeting,” he said. “Only a little reminder.”
But that performance belongs in the past. The manager’s primary message is to make the most of the present.
“We didn’t do what we did against Manchester City for the first time in the game against City – we did it before,” Klopp explained.
“The big difference is that in a game like this, with an opponent like this, if you do what you do only at 99 per cent you get beat. Therefore we need to do what we do at 100 per cent.
“We need to be brave, we need to be ready to make mistakes and sort them afterwards with the formation, with another player or with another challenge. It will be really exciting.
“On this level, everybody punishes you for your mistakes – and we do the same pretty much. So it’s about still doing the mistakes but having a solution for sorting it, being brave and being lively.
“Be full of confidence because it’s not a coincidence that we are at this stage – we qualified and we played a fantastic Champions League campaign so far, so let’s enjoy it.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom