• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match: Man City (N) - Community Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a great watch which was the main thing. Real intensity. Think Shitty looked a bit behind the curve and we served them their arses first half, totally dominant. Second half we seemed to run out of steam and try and sit back which didn't really work until Nunez provided that threat in behind with his pace. Think that'll be a well used tactic this season. Well pleased to win really as it was played very competitively.

Here's hoping Haaland continues to finish like a donkey. I feel for the mirrors in his gaff!

The difference in energy yesterday compared to the end of last season was massive. City looked like Everton. We're fucking boss, just ran out of steam last year. Hopefully with the bigger better squad we'll be picking up big ears in Istanbul after walking the league.

🙂 and Mo has got his Mojo back he’s sharp …I just loved watching that game

You’re assuming Guardiola let’s his players do whatever they want in their pressing from goal kicks / when our goalkeeper starts the play.
I think they’re 100% instructed, as it’s not a 1 or 2 player press. Over half the team have to move very precisely depending on what happens per zone. I would very much assume Guardiola instructed them to setup differently multiple times during the game. This is Guardiola we’re talking about here.
Yeah - having watched that clip you posted I quite agree. As you said. Interesting.

Mo was doing things he wasn’t doing last 3rd of the lasr season. Mo needs to understand he will have to be rested for a lot more next season for the benefit of himself.

You’re assuming Guardiola let’s his players do whatever they want in their pressing from goal kicks / when our goalkeeper starts the play.
I think they’re 100% instructed, as it’s not a 1 or 2 player press. Over half the team have to move very precisely depending on what happens per zone. I would very much assume Guardiola instructed them to setup differently multiple times during the game. This is Guardiola we’re talking about here.
Oh no I agree, I'm sure he has instructed them. It's just that the guy who made the breakdown kept saying : "and Guardiola has changed tactics here" ... and here and again (like 6 times in 42 mins) and that I seriously doubt. Players wouldn't even be able to hear him most of the time let alone the whole team make complete tactical changes 6 times in one half.

I thought we looked more sharp and ready for the season than City. They've also only played 2 games prior to yesterday.
As I mentioned a page back in terms of City's readiness : City came back to training the same time as us and pretty much everyone else. They stayed at home, bar 2 games in the USA, this means far less traveling (and jet lag / tiredness) however more importantly it means far more time on the training pitch and in the gym and in their case it means better/stronger competition (look at the strength of their squad for 11 vs 11 training sessions) than against some Aussie / Thai / US team on crappy pitches.

I'm sure they thought this out and reckoned they'd be further ahead in their fitness preparedness than spending many hours in planes, cars and on the road.

Last edited:
Hmm Mahrez was their top scorer last season - 24 goals !

In terms of City readiness : I'm hearing this excuse a lot however it doesn't stack up. City came back to training the same time as everyone else (or top teams like us should I say). They stayed at home, bar 2 games in the USA, this means far less traveling (and jet lag / tiredness) however more importantly it means far more time on the training pitch and in their case it means better/stronger competition (look at the strength of their squad for 11 vs 11) than against some Aussie / Thai / US team. I actually think this was a deliberate decision to better prepare their squad, because they don't need the dinero touring brings in.

Yeah - But 7 of those goals came in the Champions League, 4 in the League cup & 2 in the FA Cup - he scored 11 in the league , which is less than Mane, Jots & Salah.

So, if he’s there to scorer, from the right - great - there’s their problem right there.

Not trying to make excuses for them - but match fitness Vs physical fitness - it’ll take a few games to gel - we won’t get a game as easy as this against them all season.

Pep is known for using the start of the season as the final part of «pre season».
It will take a few games to get them going.
They lost the Community shield to Leicester last season as well.

Let's not start this again. The way he plays in that position is taught in training and is integral to the way this team is a beast.

right but why does AR not allow so many of the same goals in behind him? Does he not go forward as much?

I mean, don’t shitty love moanin a lot. Probs part of the reason for their absolute horrible bitter fans ..

Virgil though haha 😀

The Premier League would be boring with out Liverpool keeping up with Shitty !

Manchester City
have won four of the last five Premier League titles, with only Liverpool being able to get remotely close to Pep Guardiola’s side in that time – something Ian Wright pointed out pre-match on Saturday.

While rival fans and ‘banter’ social media accounts find pleasure in Liverpool not winning the league, missing out on two of the last four seasons by just a single point, without Jurgen Klopp‘s side City would have just won five titles in a row – something that has never happened in English football history.

Those same people who revel in Liverpool not winning a title are quick to deride leagues like the Bundesliga and Ligue 1, where Bayern Munich and PSG dominate so easily.
Without Liverpool, the Premier League would be one of those so-called ‘Farmers Leagues’ now.
And this is something Ian Wright pointed out on Saturday ahead of the Community Shield.
“Imagine if Liverpool weren’t doing what they’re doing,” said the former Arsenal striker.
“If Liverpool weren’t doing what they’re doing, City would be running away with the league. It would be boring.
“People are saying I’m a closet Liverpool fan! I’m thankful for them [Liverpool] because we wouldn’t [have any competition] so they deserve credit and good luck to them – I hope they can [compete].”

Wright added on City’s transfers too: “City are so good and now they’ve signed Erling Haaland as well might be the final piece in their jigsaw.
“Liverpool are having to do the work they have to do to get players out to get them in whereas City are able to buy a player like this [Haaland] and Kalvin Phillips and [Julian] Alvarez.”
Wright is correct in his assessment, as he often is as a pundit, able to see the full picture.
Liverpool got a slight marker on City ahead of the new season with Saturday’s Community Shield win, but they know that City often start slow before hitting near-perfection later in the season.
City added Haaland on wages reported to be £375,000 per week this summer, along with Kalvin Phillips and Julian Alvarez. They’re also looking to add another expensive full-back with their pursuit of Brighton‘s Marc Cucurella.
Cucurella would become the fifth full-back signed by Pep Guardiola for over £25 million in the last five seasons, following Joao Cancelo (£25m + Danilo), Benjamin Mendy (£52m), Kyle Walker (£45m) and Danilo (£26m).

right but why does AR not allow so many of the same goals in behind him? Does he not go forward as much?
I think it’s mainly a concentration issue with Alexander Arnold. He also quite regularly passes the ball back to the goalkeeper or centre-half seemingly without checking for danger.

Last edited:
Well he does have Virg behind him and he rarely ventures forward as much as Matip or Konate. That said AR doesn't score, take as many FKs or assist as many goals either.

With TAA it's just something you have to accept, the ratio is something like 10 assists to one defensive lapse leading to a goal. Isn't that worth it? Our success over the past few seasons would suggest it is.

Well he does have Virg behind him and he rarely ventures forward as much as Matip or Konate. That said AR doesn't score, take as many FKs or assist as many goals either.

With TAA it's just something you have to accept, the ratio is something like 10 assists to one defensive lapse leading to a goal. Isn't that worth it? Our success over the past few seasons would suggest it is.
100%. Klopp always says that it is a team responsibility to defend. Trent is instructed to get forward because of all of the dividends it provides with the knowledge it leaves a gap and it is our responsibility as a team to cover that gap.

Good points man, but that goal in the CL final makes me wonder if it is worth it. Will keep an eye on the ratio for sure, but just seen too many goals given up in big games. I'm also thinking of games where he's ball watching and slow to react off the mark.

Good points man, but that goal in the CL final makes me wonder if it is worth it. Will keep an eye on the ratio for sure, but just seen too many goals given up in big games. I'm also thinking of games where he's ball watching and slow to react off the mark.
He wasn't far upfield for that goal but was level and close to Vinícius Júnior . He just switched off and left his man loose. I have to admit that it's probably not frequently that this occurs; we just tend to remember these lapses as they often happen to result in key goal in tight matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom