• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool's pre-season schedule

Judging from what I’ve seen so far in the pre-season, it seems the players are training with the ball from the get go - where are the cross-country marathon runs, group bike trips, swimming in icy lakes? Maybe it’s the new science behind it, but I slightly worry whether the physical endurance “foundation” will be there for us this season.

Slots teams have been known for excellent fitness and physical data and best of all very few injuries. I posted something about how they are monitoring Nyoni during pre season.

Judging from what I’ve seen so far in the pre-season, it seems the players are training with the ball from the get go - where are the cross-country marathon runs, group bike trips, swimming in icy lakes? Maybe it’s the new science behind it, but I slightly worry whether the physical endurance “foundation” will be there for us this season.

Pretty sure the bike trips, icy swims and long runs were leisure activities for team bonding and mental relaxation rather than anything fitness related.

None of those things are more taxing than running on a football field.

Doesn't really fit here or anywhere else but nice to see that United are without Yoro and Hojlund for our game at the start of the season.

So what are everyone's takeaways so far? It's hard to read too much into it given the shortage of our best players, but overall the Slot and the players appear to be adapting and embracing the new era.

I think the biggest changes have been we are more compact off the ball and seem to be defending in greater numbers.

VDV looks good enough to be a squad option. I'm less anxious about the CB options now for sure.

Carvalho looked livelier against Arsenal. His better work coming in more central areas, but anonymous against Betis.

Elliott has maintained his high form since last season. Some early indications he can thrive under Slot, which many predicted.

Against Arsenal we performed better than the sum of our parts, IMO. Which gives me some comfort in Slots tactical game.

The players genuinely appear to enjoy the new playing style. The defenders enjoy being less vulnerable, the midfielders having more influence with the ball and potentially the attackers if they can more frequently be released in space, like Salahs goal against Arsenal. That wasn't a typical Klopp counter attack goal. There was more build up in deeper area and then bang, we go and Salah has half the pitch to himself. The attackers will need to become more reliant on the midfield, which they may find frustrating, but very early days to assess the attack.

The real tests are yet to come and we shouldn't place too much on a pre-season tour, however, there's been very little to criticise. The early signs looks as promising as they could.

So what are everyone's takeaways so far? It's hard to read too much into it given the shortage of our best players, but overall the Slot and the players appear to be adapting and embracing the new era.

I think the biggest changes have been we are more compact off the ball and seem to be defending in greater numbers.

VDV looks good enough to be a squad option. I'm less anxious about the CB options now for sure.

Carvalho looked livelier against Arsenal. His better work coming in more central areas, but anonymous against Betis.

Elliott has maintained his high form since last season. Some early indications he can thrive under Slot, which many predicted.

Against Arsenal we performed better than the sum of our parts, IMO. Which gives me some comfort in Slots tactical game.

The players genuinely appear to enjoy the new playing style. The defenders enjoy being less vulnerable, the midfielders having more influence with the ball and potentially the attackers if they can more frequently be released in space, like Salahs goal against Arsenal. That wasn't a typical Klopp counter attack goal. There was more build up in deeper area and then bang, we go and Salah has half the pitch to himself. The attackers will need to become more reliant on the midfield, which they may find frustrating, but very early days to assess the attack.

The real tests are yet to come and we shouldn't place too much on a pre-season tour, however, there's been very little to criticise. The early signs looks as promising as they could.

Feels positive. Its only two games, but they players are clearly adapting ok to his approach and we have a lot of technically gifted players so I can see this only developing more when players like Trent, Macca, Diaz etc. are back in the squad.

I'll be more interested once we actually see how the methods and plans shape out with enough players back. He's playing attacking mids in the forward line purely as our attackers are mostly still away.

I feel confident we will have a strong start, as those who have been around for pre season look to be sharp and good enough to challenge PL opponents as seen against Arsenal.

Tyler Morton: “The style the gaffer is implementing is working and I think it worked today. You can see it’s starting to click already and that’s a big compliment to the management team. I think the players out there today were brilliant, a lot of standout players. I think it’s going to improve quickly and I think it was a very good step in a good direction.”

“He loves Total Football. He’s come in and it’s a style a lot of players love. If you don’t love the style he plays, you shouldn’t be a footballer really! It’s Total Football and it’s every midfielder’s dream. You could see it today in the triangles that were played; he’s big on triangles and they were working today. I thought it was brilliant, I thought we dominated and against a very good Arsenal side it was a great display.”

“I’m definitely picking up things here. It’s a very tough pre-season, very intense, you’ve got to work hard for everything. I think that’s what we’re doing, that’s what I’m doing especially.”

===========

Definitely more than a hint of flattery, but also I think it’s true that midfielders in particular will enjoy Slot’s style more - Curtis essentially said the same thing. The caveat is that they all will have to be good enough and press-resistant enough to handle this playing style, because the ball getting passed around in midfield more means there will be more opportunities for the opponents to counter-press us. You cannot have any weak links on the ball.

Yes we are so good and have signed so many new players this summer, I don't see how we can fit in as someone as shite as Trent the vice captain scouser into a team that finished 3rd last season. Guess best thing we can now do is someone like Madrid will pick him up end of next season!
I would say jesus wept but don't want to offend some on here...

Reference to Trent’s role in this team. Read the fucking posts above first. Really isn’t that hard…

Reference to Trent’s role in this team. Read the fucking posts above first. Really isn’t that hard…
Oh, the one post that referenced Trent that caused you to melt down…maybe reply directly to it or quote it if you’re responding 2.5 hours later and after the conversation has moved on.

Oh, the one post that referenced Trent that caused you to melt down…maybe reply directly to it or quote it if you’re responding 2.5 hours later and after the conversation has moved on.
Melt down? You sound like one of those nuts from twitter. Think the sarcasm went over your head, was related to Trent’s role and it’s not just only posts on this thread.
Wasn’t even nothing to do with you, did I quote you? Are you some kind self appointed authority suddenly here? Wind your neck in and watch a rerun of the olympic opening ceremony or something.

Melt down? You sound like one of those nuts from twitter. Think the sarcasm went over your head, was related to Trent’s role and it’s not just only posts on this thread.
Wasn’t even nothing to do with you, did I quote you? Are you some kind self appointed authority suddenly here? Wind your neck in and watch a rerun of the olympic opening ceremony or something.
I’m struggling a bit with the Olympic ceremony reference unless you’re going all gammon on me.

Anyway, so sorry to upset your zen-like calm on a Friday with a light hearted disagreement and bit of sarcasm.

I’m struggling a bit with the Olympic ceremony reference unless you’re going all gammon on me.

Anyway, so sorry to upset your zen-like calm on a Friday with a light hearted disagreement and bit of sarcasm.

Was related to someone taken offense on here around to the blue smurf, anyway was just a bit of fun. I can’t wait to see Trent in Slot’s dirty slot once the season starts.

Getting back to the topic, I have a feeling that Morton-Bajcetic-Elliott could be our starting midfield in 2-3 years - they look like they would complement each other’s qualities perfectly (Morton as holder and long passer, Bajcetic as combative and creative box-to-box #8 and Elliott as chance creator) and having a home-grown trio that know each other’s game perfectly will make them more than a sum of their parts, like it did for Busquets-Xavi-Iniesta (if you forgive the lofty comparison, but I think it’s a valid one - none of these players would have thrived to the same extent in a different system that was not perfeftly tailored to their strengths).

Would I be comfortable with Morton as our main starting #6 this season - no, I wouldn’t. And I think we have to be very careful with Bajcetic’s playing time for the next few months. But I think we need to build with Morton and Baj and Harvеy in mind (maybe Nyoni as well) - they might well be our future in Slot’s possession-based system and I think I am starting to see the contours of this future already.

Getting back to the topic, I have a feeling that Morton-Bajcetic-Elliott could be our starting midfield in 2-3 years - they look like they would complement each other’s qualities perfectly (Morton as holder and long passer, Bajcetic as combative and creative box-to-box #8 and Elliott as chance creator) and having a home-grown trio that know each other’s game perfectly will make them more than a sum of their parts, like it did for Busquets-Xavi-Iniesta (if you forgive the lofty comparison, but I think it’s a valid one - none of these players would have thrived to the same extent in a different system that was not perfeftly tailored to their strengths).

Would I be comfortable with Morton as our main starting #6 this season - no, I wouldn’t. And I think we have to be very careful with Bajcetic’s playing time for the next few months. But I think we need to build with Morton and Baj and Harvеy in mind (maybe Nyoni as well) - they might well be our future in Slot’s possession-based system and I think I am starting to see the contours of this future already.
True fact - Iniesta goes to bed wearing Elliott pyjamas.

Back
Top Bottom