• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Match Thread [Friendly] Liverpool vs Arsenal - Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia, July 31st 19:30 EDT (00:30 BST)

So how much are we getting beat by and how slow and shit at finishing is Mo?

Just keeping up with all those more knowledgeable than I?

We are ahead of Arsenal on current sharpness. Goal came pretty much after break in play for water at 30-odd minutes

Messed up a few attacks there, Harv couldn’t make up his mind and lost the ball, then Jota miss kicking a good chance.

Pretty bad from Tsimikas for their goal.
It was bad from a number of players if you rewind about 10 seconds. Zinchenko allowed to walk past 2 players, then when Martinelli crosses, Quansah doesn’t even look where he’s heading it and falls to an Arsenal player in the box.

Our build up play is horrible. We're still a Klopp team forcing ourselves into Slotball. We shouldn't be losing the ball that much when we're just paying it around!

Can see the players struggling to hold themselves back from going full transition monster mode.

We look great once we're just outside the opposition box though. It's a team with four natural 10s playing in midfield.

It’s just a preseason and I think there’ll be plenty more goals here, but that half was EXACTLY everything we saw all last year…

Some outstanding play, in patches. We really could and should have scored 5 or 6 (Jota post, Jota sitter, Harvey not sliding Mo in, twice) before they got their one goal, courtesy of some silly decisions when defending (plus Havertz was offside).

I’ll not care about this match the second it’s over, but we’ve seen this before…

Completely different second half... We couldn't keep the ball at all, and they ran the show, particularly when we brought on all of the local fan club members for a run with 20 to go. That said, the didn't create much of anything, bar one fairly routine save from Kev. And, credit where it's due, we defended well from about 20 yards out, with Sepp having a very decent outing and Quansah quietly playing well, beyond that incredible tackle in the first half. We also owned the ball for all of the 5 minutes of added time at the end, which was a very pleasant surprise.

Just got back to hotel from the match. First half was ours. Second half we barely got out of our half. Decent win and a good statement of defensive dexterity. Some lovely passing. A great finish by Mo. nothing to make you sing about and nothing to make you cry about really. All good.

Sidebar that’s a huge stadium. Got out of car park easily which was a surprise

I think I dozed through part of the match, but nevertheless I guess I'll post some observations (hopefully I didn't dream those up!):

1. Harvеy is insanely good at providing the last killer pass and the way to maximize that is playing him at #10. Great assists for both goals and also for Jota's chance – we have no one else in the team who can do what he does with that kind of consistency and efficiency. He's like Shaqiri with far better pressing and defensive ability.

2. Our build-up from the back looks like it still needs work, but also let's not forget we're playing with a 3rd-5th choice CBs, back-up full-backs and constantly changing midfield. If Virge and Konate start messing it up, then I would get worried.

3. Endo looked much more assured today; came on and did what a senior DM needs to do.

4. I don't think Slot is giving much away with his tactics or positions in pre-season games. Szobo played a false 9 in the first game and #6 in the 2nd, Nyoni went the opposite way – neither will probably play in either of those positions when the real games start. So read into this at your peril.

5. So good to see Jota leading the line! The sharpness in front of goal will come, but he is already doing so many good things up front, having returned to training just 2 days ago. Replace Carvalho with Gakpo and I think that front 4 could well be the one to start the season.

It’s just a preseason and I think there’ll be plenty more goals here, but that half was EXACTLY everything we saw all last year…

Some outstanding play, in patches. We really could and should have scored 5 or 6 (Jota post, Jota sitter, The Boy not sliding Mo in, twice) before they got their one goal, courtesy of some silly decisions when defending (plus Havertz was offside).

I’ll not care about this match the second it’s over, but we’ve seen this before…

Great jinx regarding goals btw.

I think I dozed through part of the match, but nevertheless I guess I'll post some observations (hopefully I didn't dream those up!):

1. Harvеy is insanely good at providing the last killer pass and the way to maximize that is playing him at #10. Great assists for both goals and also for Jota's chance – we have no one else in the team who can do what he does with that kind of consistency and efficiency. He's like Shaqiri with far better pressing and defensive ability.

2. Our build-up from the back looks like it still needs work, but also let's not forget we're playing with a 3rd-5th choice CBs, back-up full-backs and constantly changing midfield. If Virge and Konate start messing it up, then I would get worried.

3. Endo looked much more assured today; came on and did what a senior DM needs to do.

4. I don't think Slot is giving much away with his tactics or positions in pre-season games. Szobo played a false 9 in the first game and #6 in the 2nd, Nyoni went the opposite way – neither will probably play in either of those positions when the real games start. So read into this at your peril.

5. So good to see Jota leading the line! The sharpness in front of goal will come, but he is already doing so many good things up front, having returned to training just 2 days ago. Replace Carvalho with Gakpo and I think that front 4 could well be the one to start the season.

I thought we were really impressive in the first half. Limited Arsenal and played some very good football. Its only pre season but quite an impressive result given the strength of that Arsenal team. They’re missing 3-4 players and we played the kids and back ups from the 70th minute. The 3 subs at half time also showed the importance of a striker in the Slot system as we lost a lot of our attacking play.

Only pre season but at least we look sharp and you can see Slots ideas.
Positive start.

Back
Top Bottom