• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool VS Man City CL QF 1st leg pre Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what you're saying here is we don't really have any options, which was obvious when Lallana went off and all we could do was bring Lovren on. If Can is fit he plays. If not one of Gini or Ox does depending on whether Klopp wakes up with a hard on or a disappointing flop.

That's it, apart from the disgusting Matip or Lovren conundrum, which you may as well toss a coin about.

Another reason we still need coins!

If we need to resort to him at any time I still think Ings will get a goal or two before the season is out. And that could even be in the CL - he looked quite sharp when he came on.

Don't know whether to laugh at Everton or shit myself about Wednesday

SQ3oHon.jpg

As an addition to the whole Matip\Lovren who should start debate.......................

Life as a Liverpool defender must be tough at times.
While the fun stuff is happening at the other end of the pitch, the defenders may never quite know if they are going to be starting from one game to the next.
Having started in the 2-1 defeat at Manchester United on 10 March, Dejan Lovren was left out of the squad for the 5-0 win against Watford a week later, then returned to the bench as Liverpool edged Crystal Palace 2-1 on Saturday.
Lovren certainly cops plenty of flak, a fact the Croatia international bemoaned in an interview with the Times on Sunday, stopping short of sticking on a T-shirt with the words "why always me?" on it.
But maybe his ire is fair.
[xtable]
{thead}
{tr}
{th=colspan:5}Liverpool defenders in 2017-18{/th}
{/tr}
{tr}
{th} {/th}
{th}Dejan Lovren{/th}
{th}Joel Matip{/th}
{th}Virgil van Dijk{/th}
{th}Ragnar Klavan{/th}
{/tr}
{/thead}
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Appearances{/td}
{td}24{/td}
{td}25{/td}
{td}20{/td}
{td}15{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Clean sheets{/td}
{td}8{/td}
{td}9{/td}
{td}4{/td}
{td}6{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Goals conceded{/td}
{td}22{/td}
{td}27{/td}
{td}25{/td}
{td}13{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Tackle success %{/td}
{td}71{/td}
{td}69{/td}
{td}65{/td}
{td}78{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Clearances{/td}
{td}123{/td}
{td}96{/td}
{td}124{/td}
{td}63{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Aerial battles won{/td}
{td}90{/td}
{td}57{/td}
{td}108{/td}
{td}34{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Errors leading to goals{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
Statistically, Lovren stacks up pretty well against his fellow Liverpool defenders, with only Virgil van Dijk making more clearances and winning more aerial battles. He also started 12 of Liverpool's 18-match unbeaten run earlier this season.
Lovren's trouble is that when he makes a mistake, he makes a mistake. His errors this season have come in high-profile games - namely the 4-1 defeatby Tottenham in October and the 2-1 loss at Manchester United.

I'd like to see us go to the back three that finished the game on Saturday. Give TAA and Robbo more cover and make it more difficult for City.

---------------Karius---------------
------Matip--Lovren--VVD------
TAA-----Hendo--Millie----Robbo I like the idea of Milner for this as a) he is thriving making runs to join the front 4 but also capable of tracking back in the channels.
----Salah----Firmino----Mane

I am assuming that Can isn't going to play, otherwise I might go for Can at DM rather than Lovren...

I'd like to see us go to the back three that finished the game on Saturday. Give TAA and Robbo more cover and make it more difficult for City.

---------------Karius---------------
------Matip--Lovren--VVD------
TAA-----Hendo--Millie----Robbo I like the idea of Milner for this as a) he is thriving making runs to join the front 4 but also capable of tracking back in the channels.
----Salah----Firmino----Mane

I am assuming that Can isn't going to play, otherwise I might go for Can at DM rather than Lovren...

I think this is asking for trouble. Rather than three CBs we need to defend against them higher up the pitch and turn them over in midfield and in their own half (a tactic that worked very well at Anfield). They don't like it up them! I'd stick with 4 at the back and throw Chamberlain on for Matip.

I think this is asking for trouble. Rather than three CBs we need to defend against them higher up the pitch and turn them over in midfield and in their own half (a tactic that worked very well at Anfield). They don't like it up them! I'd stick with 4 at the back and throw Chamberlain on for Matip.

True - if we went 4 at the back I think a nudge to one of Can/Hendo/Milner to give TAA extra support would be essential. If he is going to be targeted, lets make it a hard route to exploit.

Agree that we need to take the game to them in order to avoid coming to Anfield with a deficit.

I remember at the Anfield game it was highlighted that we targeted Fernandinho with pressing heavily - I wonder whether they'll have plans to counteract that this time around. I'm buzzing for this game.

I remember at the Anfield game it was highlighted that we targeted Fernandinho with pressing heavily - I wonder whether they'll have plans to counteract that this time around. I'm buzzing for this game.
It could make sense to have firmino drop back a bit to press him and hopefully force some errors

It’s not going to matter a fuck who’s playing in defence when we batter 8 past them.

It appears that Can is losing the race to be fit for tomorrow. So the only midfield change could be wijnaldum out and Oxlade-chamberlain in.

Had a geordie mate laughing at me about Gini last night. Shelvey and 20 million quid and you don't even see him. We got bummed on that deal.
Yeah, can't argue with that

If shelvey actually showed any sign he could learn to curb his cuntiness, id be doubly annoyed

I've only just realised that we are at home for the first leg. We need to go for the jugular - ignore my back 3 chat. Treat it like a one off knock out game - we can't afford not to win and take a lead to the Etihad.

Shelvey is one of the most frustrating players ever, and is horrendously inconsistent. Wouldnt want him anywhere near our team.

Wijnaldum gets a bit to much stick on here in all honesty, but consistency is an issue for him as well.

Had a geordie mate laughing at me about Gini last night. Shelvey and 20 million quid and you don't even see him. We got bummed on that deal.

Shelvey is a real creative force from the middle of the park, but he slacks on the defensive side of the game. If you could inject a little more graft and a little more pace into him he'd be amazing.

I wouldn't be comfortable with Klavan coming straight in given lack of game time (that, and he also prefers RCB) so looks like Dejan will be stepping up for the remainder of the season. If Gomez wasn't injured I wonder whether this would be a good excuse for him to be trialled at CB in some upcoming league games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom