• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Mark Lawrenson: How Liverpool rise is built on defence

Status
Not open for further replies.

redhorizon2

Very Active

Former Liverpool defender Mark Lawrenson expands on his TV analysis of how the Reds' improvement at the back is behind their rise up the Premier League table after they beat Southampton on Sunday to continue their push for a top-four place.
People have spent a large part of this season waiting for Liverpool's new-look attack to click but it is their defence that has played a big part in the Reds' return to form.
The 3-4-2-1 formation that manager Brendan Rodgers has adopted since the end of last year suits their fast attacking players but has given them solidity at the back too.
_81169883_liverpool'sstartingxivssouthampton.jpg

Liverpool have not become a defensive-minded team but that has given them a different way of winning games, compared to last season when their tactic was 'attack or bust' and they would concede goals but just look to outscore the opposition.
They showed it against Southampton on Sunday in a game where they were not free-flowing going forward - they only had one shot at goal in the first 70 minutes - and came under a lot of pressure.
They rode their luck a bit at St Mary's, especially with some of the decisions that went in their favour because Saints could have had at least one penalty.
But their 2-0 win was their sixth clean sheet in a 10-game unbeaten run in the Premier League, and it is clear Rodgers can rely on his defence to win him points now too.
Three at the back doing better than four

Sometimes in football you stumble on to something that is successful.
After paying £20m for centre-back Dejan Lovren in the summer, Liverpool clearly wanted and expected him to come in and be a ready-made rock.
That did not happen.
Rodgers was looking to play four at the back when he signed Lovren but it did not work - he would not have tried a three-man defence if it had.
Liverpool's average formation vs Southampton
_81168824_liverpool'saverageformationvssouthampton.jpg

He probably did not plan to play Emre Can at the back either, although he had played in that position before.
But he has been brilliant as part of that back three, and is able to play either side of Martin Skrtel - he has been on the right in the last few matches but operated on the left against Southampton.
The thing about Can is that he can use the ball and his passing ability from that position has made a big difference to the team.
Emre Can's touches vs Southampton
_81168828_emrecan'stouchesforliverpoolvssouthampton.jpg

Something else that has helped goalkeeper Simon Mignolet in particular is having a settled line-up at the back too.
It was the same during my career - when you play alongside people regularly in defence you start to appreciate what each of them can do.
Lovren came back in for Mamadou Sakho against Saints but that was their first change at the back for seven matches.
They were a bit shaky at the back at first, but got better and better as the game went on.
Ibe gives Reds a boost down the right

The real bonus has been the emergence of Jordon Ibe - not just in terms of what he offers going forward but defensively too.
He really understands what the wing-back role is all about and he has got such fantastic pace that, even if he does make a mistake, he has got a chance of recovering.
Jordon Ibe's touches vs Southampton
_81169562_jordonibe'stouchesvssouthampton.jpg

Slowly but surely, Rodgers is finding players he can rely on in every position and even better he has got competition for places too.
At left wing-back he has alternated between a winger Lazar Markovic and a left-back Alberto Moreno, who is so attacking that it really suits his game.
Rodgers has shoehorned his attack-minded and quick players into his team to try to recreate the pace he had going forward last season.
It has taken him a while but he has managed it and found a system that allows them all to fit.
Liverpool hitting form at the right time

Even without playing well on Sunday, Liverpool have beaten one of their major rivals for a top-four finish.
It was a huge win anyway, but with Manchester United losing andTottenham also dropping points it was a very good week for the Reds.
Who will make it into the Champions League spots? Well I don't think Southampton can and I don't think Tottenham will.
_81167794_top_six1_bbc.jpg

With Chelsea and Manchester City contesting the title, that leaves two places between three sides - Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool.
Three months ago, when they lost to Crystal Palace and dropped to 12th in the table it did not look like Liverpool would be in the mix but all of a sudden they have taken off.
Mark Lawrenson was speaking to BBC Sport's Chris Bevan.

I'm not Lawrenson's biggest fan but it's quite marvelous how this 3-4-3 is proving lots of doubters wrong. I know I was very skeptical initially.

I'm probably still a little and I think it's merely down to the fact that it's not conventional and our minds are wired to doubt when the status quo is being challenged. How many other top team in Europe play with 3 at the back ?

Is this the long term way to go ? I dunno but what I do like about this team is that we now have many players who are versatile and equally effective in multiple formations and positions.

And we now have a strong foundation or spine if you like to propel us to the next level i.e. to challenge consistently on all fronts especially in the CL eventually. Assuming that all our young prodigies will want to stay for the next few years, of course.

I'm excited with this team again. I'm excited how we are beginning to reap the fruits of our much-lamented youth program. We still have a few more exciting young talent to break through. And there's still Flanno to return. I'm looking forward to see what sort of players like Ibe, Can and Flanno will develop into. And I still think Brendan's the man to bring us forward.

Even if we do not win anything this season I'm optimistic and excited about the future. Exciting times.

Bollocks. All of the Top 7 have some very tough matches to come, City won't decide anything.

In kinda with you Froggie, but I still think we need to win 9 out of the remaking 12 to push us into 70+ points territory.

Wins against Spurs & Southampton were essential - as is a win against Man Ure. Taking something out of Arsenal game is also very important, but only if we're not playing just for 4th.

For me, Chelsea & Man City are the other 2 games that we can "afford" to drop points.

It means getting results in all the other games - tough, but not impossible.

Well, Bayern Munich for a start which is where I reckon we nicked it from. Barcelona were also using it, not sure if they still are.

Hmm interesting. I think it only goes to show it takes a big pair of balls to implement the system.

Also, I think not many dare to try it because they simply do not really know how to play the system. Plus they will require the right players to re-train into a 3-4-3, and not many have that set of players or even have a clue how to coach them into the system.

Think about it. 3 at the back in the electric and oft-times merciless pace of the English game - that's pretty mental, I reckon. I think LVG tried it in the beginning with the scums, didn't he ? It was quite a mess, if I recall correctly. Results were mixed and he's still fumbling around with his tactics and team. He had all the money and yet struggled to buy the right players for his ideal formation. Yes, granted he had his fair share of injuries but so did we.

I reckon Brendan's quite a genius for turning things around in such a short space of time. What I admire about this bloke is that what he promises in public, he executes it. A man of his word - I like that a lot.

In kinda with you Froggie, but I still think we need to win 9 out of the remaking 12 to push us into 70+ points territory.

Wins against Spurs & Southampton were essential - as is a win against Man Ure. Taking something out of Arsenal game is also very important, but only if we're not playing just for 4th.

For me, Chelsea & Man City are the other 2 games that we can "afford" to drop points.

It means getting results in all the other games - tough, but not impossible.

Binny posted this yesterday, which to me reinforces that this is between us, United and Southampton for 4th (I strongly believe Arsenal will get 3rd).

B-d9z3KIMAAh9Nq.png

Using that and the remaining fixtures (ignoring EL /CL / FAC fixtures and any potential knock-on effects), I can see (W8 D2 L2) :

Chelsea - 92 pts
City - 89
Arsenal - 81
Liverpool - 71
Southampton - 70
United - 68
Spurs - 66

Of course there will be some surprises against non-Top 7 teams for all of the above and it's those that may eventually decide the final placings.

Fingers crossed.

I'm not Lawrenson's biggest fan but it's quite marvelous how this 3-4-3 is proving lots of doubters wrong. I know I was very skeptical initially.

I'm probably still a little and I think it's merely down to the fact that it's not conventional and our minds are wired to doubt when the status quo is being challenged. How many other top team in Europe play with 3 at the back ?

Is this the long term way to go ? I dunno but what I do like about this team is that we now have many players who are versatile and equally effective in multiple formations and positions.

I think a lot of credit has to go to Van Gaal for coming into the British game and coming up with the idea of playing three at the back paving the way for others.

Arsenal will normally start dropping points and implode this time of the year, as they always do especially when the CL rounds resume. It's like a tradition of theirs.

It's gonna be a tight affair for 3rd place between ourselves, Arse and United. Soton will fade away to a more realistic position - because they don't have a prolific goalscorer. Spurs have a lot of away games to play and will drop points.

I think a lot of credit has to go to Van Gaal for coming into the British game and coming up with the idea of playing three at the back paving the way for others.

Fair point but his is still very much a work in progress and has been at times awful to watch. Brendan's one's exciting and required a much lower cost of expenditure.

You can't really expect many clubs to be playing three at the back. It was only invented 8 months ago, so it'll take teams a while to catch on.

Next season I fully expect most teams to be playing three at the back, while the more advanced teams will be playing the new system of bypassing the midfield and playing balls directly to a tall player playing up front.

LvG was using 3-5-2. He invented it for the Netherlands national team by robbing it off Ronald Koeman who was using it at Feyenoord with most of the same defenders.

LvG was using 3-5-2. He invented it for the Netherlands national team by robbing it off Ronald Koeman who was using it at Feyenoord with most of the same defenders.
Well, they say that necessity is the mother of invention. Van hack needed a defense for the Dutch team. So therefore by that logic he invented it.

I've no idea what I'm talking about.

Their top-flight total of 10 clean sheets is bettered only by Chelsea and Southampton.

“It's the new defensive coach that we got in that everybody thought we needed,” joked Rodgers after the match. “That's what has done the trick.”

Seems a wee bit tetchy, our Brendan, at the moment. But he's entitled to have a bit of a dig about that.

Juve has been playing 3 at the back for years now. They might not be a "top top" team, but they dominate Italy. Their's is a 3-5-2 though. Guardiola introduced a 3-4-3 system very similar to ours at Barca a few years ago and has been trying it with Bayern as well.

Seems a wee bit tetchy, our Brendan, at the moment. But he's entitled to have a bit of a dig about that.
I think he's boxing clever tbh.

By throwing media criticism back in their faces in a non confrontational manner whilst his stock is pretty high again he's making sure they think twice before sticking the knife in cos they'll be aware it may leave them with egg on their face.

He's earned a bit of crowing, but he's gotta be careful not to overplay his hand.

He's lucky he doesn't have Ferguson to contend with for mind games.

Pelle is too mild and soft for mind games. Arsene - well nobody takes him seriously. Jose is the only one capable of Ferguson-like mind games but he's got his own battles to fight right now.

I think when we begin to challenge for the title in the foreseeable seasons, that's when it'll get more interesting. Watching them two at each others' wits, battling away.

Mourinho with his Ferguson like mind games......

They only work if you actually give a fuck what the horrible bastard says.

Apparently Mourinho rang Sky to get on to Goals on Sunday yesterday. The original guest ( I think it might have been James Beattie) was dumped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom