• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Different Gravy

It's always been clear that he's got a lot of talent and good attributes, including that all important C-3PO frame.

There is a long way to go but it's been a super positive start from him. I love the way he often uses his first / second touch to take opposition players out of the game.
That is the superior technical ability we know he possesses. Now Slot has found the best position to utilise him to the very best of his abilities - I don't think anyone saw that coming. People were saying he can't defend - look at his stats (recoveries, tackles) vs United (and Ips + BF), outstanding. And he's still very young. Such a high ceiling still.

I still can't get over his involvement in that disallowed goal, the first touch to take him past Mainoo was breathtakingly good, then striving forward and picking the right pass at the right time....since it ended up being offside in hindsight he may've been better off having a pop with his weaker foot.

There were and still are legitimate concerns about Grav. He's a lazy cunt who probs does loads of beak at the weekend. But he is only a kid. If he's sorted himself out then fair enough. But it's been two weeks of good play against absolute toilet opposition after a year of shit so please forgive me if I still think he's a fucking wankbag

I am answering my question everyone.

He has passed the test and I am very happy. He was brilliant today, and to add to what makes this a great performance was the fact that he was playing against a team managed by a former manager of his who knows him well, so should have instructed his team better to overcome him. He schooled Mainoo today in playing a dynmic hybrid 6/8 role. I am more than happy now for him to be that player we were hoping in Zubi. I think in Jan if we are still after a controller 6 we better not spend anything north of 35M GBP as that guy will be his understudy.

See… you can be sensible, you Top Top Red!!

There were and still are legitimate concerns about Grav. He's a lazy cunt who probs does loads of beak at the weekend. But he is only a kid. If he's sorted himself out then fair enough. But it's been two weeks of good play against absolute toilet opposition after a year of shit so please forgive me if I still think he's a fucking wankbag
I have doubts - that Arsenal away performance last season is strong on my mind. But the one very big change in our approach that maybe contributing to his performances and by extension also TAA's defensive performances is that Slot knows how to make use of talented skilled midfielders better than Klopp. My biggest beef with Klopp has been that he was good at training the midfield to press and recover the ball but did not seem to advise or give guidance on how to better use their talents. I get the feeling that Slot can coach midfielders better, and its good to see. All of them in our midfield are ballers - last season I honestly did not think Klopp knew what or how to use Gravy and this impacted my own view of Gravy as being surplus to requirements or trying to work out 'what the fuck is he ?'.

Must be fucking weird being in another country playing another club and noticing that 5 of your old teammates are with the other team and your old manager too.

This is where he will blossom. He has that touch just to run it through a few players, take them out the game and ruin their shape.
Exactly, that touch and awareness was enough to let him bypass their midfield and create the chance that Trent converted but was later ruled to be offside.

United and Ten Hag have been in denial about Casemiro for ages now. Our boys may have just ended his top-level career yesterday (if you can even call United "top-level").
And that touch and turn from Gravy to leave Mainoo flailing is a thing of beauty. Simple, elegant, deadly. Shame about Mo's offside.
More of this please.

United and Ten Hag have been in denial about Casemiro for ages now. Our boys may have just ended his top-level career yesterday (if you can even call United "top-level").
And that touch and turn from Gravy to leave Mainoo flailing is a thing of beauty. Simple, elegant, deadly. Shame about Mo's offside.
More of this please.

feels pretty familiar, i think we had similar denial for a bit with fabinho but thankfully he wasn’t on silly money and impossible to shift

This right here is one of the things I like with Gravy:

View: https://streamable.com/1wqfy6

I know another midfielder who'd just pass it back.

200w.gif

One of Liverpool’s main objectives in the summer window was to sign a new central midfielder. The Reds revamped in the middle of the park 12 months ago, bringing in Alexis Mac Allister, Dominik Szoboszlai, Wataru Endo and Ryan Gravenberch following a number of high-profile exits.

Yet it felt as though there was a piece missing to the midfield puzzle. Liverpool sought to rectify the issue in their pursuit of Martín Zubimendi, but the player’s reluctance to swap sunny San Sebastian for Merseyside was a blow to the club. Unbeknown to many, though, the answer to Liverpool’s midfield problem was already on the books.

When he arrived last summer, Mac Allister was initially used as the deepest lying midfielder in Jürgen Klopp’s favoured 4-3-3 setup, at least until Endo established himself as a key cog. Arne Slot has moved the Reds to a 4-2-3-1 system, however, one he favoured during his time as Feyenoord boss.

The aim, then, was to partner Mac Allister with a more natural holder to grant the Argentinian the freedom to push on and link the two banks of midfield, a system that the 25-year-old thrived in during his time with Brighton. If the opening weeks of the season are anything to go by, then Slot had the solution to this issue all along.

Gravenberch struggled for regular minutes under Klopp last season, making just 12 league starts in his debut campaign at Anfield following his arrival from Bayern Munich. A deadline-day arrival from the Bundesliga side, he could have been perceived as a bit of a panic buy to swell the club’s midfield ranks.

Yet Gravenberch’s early impact this season at the base of the midfield has contributed to Liverpool’s 100% start, with three successive clean sheets to boot. Supporters are no longer yearning for Zubimendi. Gravenberch ranks top for tackles (eight) and interceptions (seven), and second for total passes (176) of all Liverpool players after the opening three games. No Liverpool player has won more ground duels than the young Dutchman (15).

Playing in a 4-2-3-1 isn’t an alien concept for Gravenberch, who excelled as part of a double pivot for Ajax under Erik ten Hag. However, he did so alongside a more natural ball-winning midfielder in Edson Álvarez. Now, Gravenberch is the one that looks to shield the defence and get the ball rolling when he does reclaim possession, and he is doing so impressively.

The Reds eased to a 3-0 win at Manchester United, though they could and should have won by more, and Gravenberch was imperious in the middle of the park. With the games set to come thick and fast following Liverpool’s return to the Champions League – a competition revamped with the addition of two extra games in the league stage – the Reds may dip into the market in the new year to help ease the pressure on Gravenberch and Mac Allister.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/aug/30/federico-chiesa-liverpool-juventus-italy
Following a couple of confidence-sapping spell at Bayern and a hit-and-miss debut campaign at Anfield, Gravenberch has been hugely influential in Liverpool’s flying start to life under the former Feyenoord boss.

“He has to develop in that position, that’s also clear, but he’s comfortable with the ball, he can run, he can keep running,” Slot said of Gravenberch as Liverpool’s No 6 before their season opener at Ipswich last month. At 22, there is plenty of time to improve in the role, while his displays in the wins over Ipswich, Brentford and United has seen Gravenberch exceed early expectations and give hope he might just prove to be the battling midfielder Liverpool have needed for some time now.

Interesting comments from Hargreaves who reckons we still need a 6 as neither Gravenberch nor Macca fill that role and all top sides winning titles or the CL have one. Hmmm maybe Slot is starting a new trend then although we maybe nearer to Arsenal than City in terms of midfielders.

Interesting comments from Hargreaves who reckons we still need a 6 as neither Gravenberch nor Macca fill that role and all top sides winning titles or the CL have one. Hmmm maybe Slot is starting a new trend then although we maybe nearer to Arsenal than City in terms of midfielders.

I was confused by his comments - does he imply that Gravy and Macca cannot tackle? Because the stats say otherwise! And his insistence that you cannot win with a “conductor” at #6 makes him sound a bit like a football Neanderthal - it’s quite the opposite IMO: you cannot be a top team with a pure destroyer at #6, those days are gone.

Overall, I think the pundits are a step behind the managers in terms of understanding the evolution of football. Some are more than one step behind, mind…

I have a feeling that the Zubidooby story isn't over yet. Slot probably wants a third option for that double pivot role.

I have a feeling that the Zubidooby story isn't over yet. Slot probably wants a third option for that double pivot role.

I'm hoping it's done; at least the zooby part. Be arsed fucking about with him again. Ideally we identify another 6, either as depth, or if the gravy train derails for that position

I was confused by his comments - does he imply that Gravy and Macca cannot tackle? Because the stats say otherwise! And his insistence that you cannot win with a “conductor” at #6 makes him sound a bit like a football Neanderthal - it’s quite the opposite IMO: you cannot be a top team with a pure destroyer at #6, those days are gone.

Overall, I think the pundits are a step behind the managers in terms of understanding the evolution of football. Some are more than one step behind, mind…

Hargreaves makes as much sense as Michael Owen. They should start a podcast together.

We can discuss world class next year. I like what we’ve seen and now just need consistency.

Like. A. New. Signing. 😂

Back
Top Bottom