• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Different Gravy

I'm sorry Froggy that somebody has the temerity to disagree with you, but when it comes to the tough games this season, Endo is a more natural 6, and I happen to think he has a few years left at the top level. With Utd coming next week I'd like Endo to have been given more minutes.

I think he does deserve to play 6 ahead of Gravenberch, as whether or not Gravy is the future or not, right now Endo is the better 6.

Agreed, Bring back the Endo! Gravy is grand for now, but the intelligence needed for these bigger games surely demands a more seasoned #6

I don't think Endo's that viable an option if we're going to play these intricate passing triangles out from our box. Above all we need technical players back there now, so I'd persist with Gravenberch for now.

I don't think Endo's that viable an option if we're going to play these intricate passing triangles out from our box. Above all we need technical players back there now, so I'd persist with Gravenberch for now.
That's it though, I thought that Endo's passing was excellent last season, he's not some agricultural sliding tackle and boot it long player. His passing stats, short, medium and long are marginally better for last season in all of those categories than Macca, and considerably better in all those categories than Gravenberch.

https://fbref.com/en/squads/822bd0b...pool-Stats-All-Competitions#all_stats_passing

I'm sorry Froggy that somebody has the temerity to disagree with you, but when it comes to the tough games this season, Endo is a more natural 6, and I happen to think he has a few years left at the top level. With Utd coming next week I'd like Endo to have been given more minutes.

I think he does deserve to play 6 ahead of Gravenberch, as whether or not Gravy is the future or not, right now Endo is the better 6.
😂

Yes but that's assuming we play with a standard 6. Under Slot we don't. Ideally both in the pivot can attack or defend as required. That's not Endo.

Playing with just a 6 I might agree with you but we don't.

😂

Yes but that's assuming we play with a standard 6. Under Slot we don't. Ideally both in the pivot can attack or defend as required. That's not Endo.

Playing with just a 6 I might agree with you but we don't.
You say that, but as the passing stats I linked above show, Endo isn't just someone who intercepts the ball and then passes to the nearest midfielder to play a progressive pass. He's an excellent passer who, according to the stats from last year, is a more accurate passer than Gravy (and Macca), but also plays progressive passes at a similar rate to Gravy. So Endo is perfectly capable of playing as part of a progressive midfield. None of this is to diminish Gravy, who I think was certainly one of our best players against Ipswich, and played well against Brentford too. I just happen to think that the notion that Endo is some player who only breaks up play and little else disregards the evidence of last season.

You say that, but as the passing stats I linked above show, Endo isn't just someone who intercepts the ball and then passes to the nearest midfielder to play a progressive pass. He's an excellent passer who, according to the stats from last year, is a more accurate passer than Gravy (and Macca), but also plays progressive passes at a similar rate to Gravy. So Endo is perfectly capable of playing as part of a progressive midfield. None of this is to diminish Gravy, who I think was certainly one of our best players against Ipswich, and played well against Brentford too. I just happen to think that the notion that Endo is some player who only breaks up play and little else disregards the evidence of last season.
I am a huge Endo fan and think he is a very good progressive passer and a better reader of the game than Gravy (for now), but...his first touch can let him down and he is susceptible to a good press. So, I am a bit torn by the Gravy vs Endo debate.

I am a huge Endo fan and think he is a very good progressive passer and a better reader of the game than Gravy (for now), but...his first touch can let him down and he is susceptible to a good press. So, I am a bit torn by the Gravy vs Endo debate.

With 60+ games coming this season, we should have room for them both I think, no

Agreed, but who starts this weekend is the question.
It will have to be Gravy because the only (and possibly superior) alternative for this fixture has had no time on the pitch to get himself into match sharpness.

I think you're being misled by those stats. Firstly switch them to per 90 then it's obvious that the further back you go the higher the progressive metres, e.g. Alisson, Konate and Trent are almost double those of Endo whilst Jota is the lowest.
Gravenberch was played further forward by Klopp and so it's no surprise his progressive passes and completed passes from LAST SEASON are lower than those of an out and out DM.

Whilst technically Endo is capable he's clearly nowhere near the level of Gravy though both are more than capable of playing defence splitting passes Gravy is a far better dribbler or able to carry the ball at pace. And Gravy looks emminently more suited to the Slot system - clearly Slot thinks so.

Has he been called up by that fraud for next weeks nation games btw?

He shits all over that trio that featured in the Euros.

Netherlands Squad:​

Goalkeepers: Mark Flekken (Brentford), Nick Olij (Sparta Rotterdam), Bart Verbruggen (Brighton & Hove Albion)
Defenders: Nathan Ake (Manchester City), Lutsharel Geertruida (Feyenoord), Denzel Dumfries (Inter Milan), Matthijs de Ligt (Manchester United), Jeremy Frimpong (Bayer Leverkusen), Jorrel Hato (Ajax Amsterdam), Jurrien Timber (Arsenal), Micky van de Ven (Tottenham Hotspur), Virgil van Dijk (Liverpool)
Midfielders: Ryan Gravenberch (Liverpool), Tijjani Reijnders (AC Milan), Jerdy Schouten (PSV Eindhoven), Xavi Simons (RB Leipzig), Quinten Timber (Feyenoord), Joey Veerman (PSV Eindhoven)
Forwards: Brian Brobbey (Ajax Amsterdam), Cody Gakpo (Liverpool), Donyell Malen (Borussia Dortmund), Wout Weghorst (Ajax Amsterdam), Joshua Zirkzee (Manchester United).

Virge and Gakpo will be starters - Ryan probably sub

He was very good today, but a big judgememt will come on his performance against Man United away, where he will be up against a team that will want to prove a point and also have a very loud crowd on his back. If he manages to keep his composure in that game and deliver like he has then we can assume he can do that role.
I am answering my question everyone.

He has passed the test and I am very happy. He was brilliant today, and to add to what makes this a great performance was the fact that he was playing against a team managed by a former manager of his who knows him well, so should have instructed his team better to overcome him. He schooled Mainoo today in playing a dynmic hybrid 6/8 role. I am more than happy now for him to be that player we were hoping in Zubi. I think in Jan if we are still after a controller 6 we better not spend anything north of 35M GBP as that guy will be his understudy.

He’s been a revelation to me so far this season.
I did not imagine he would be performing to this level based on what I witnessed last year.

I’m buzzed to fuck and made up for him.
Read that like you left ‘and made up for’ out of that last sentence.

It's always been clear that he's got a lot of talent and good attributes, including that all important C-3PO frame.

There is a long way to go but it's been a super positive start from him. I love the way he often uses his first / second touch to take opposition players out of the game.

It's always been clear that he's got a lot of talent and good attributes, including that all important C-3PO frame.

There is a long way to go but it's been a super positive start from him. I love the way he often uses his first / second touch to take opposition players out of the game.

Yes, our midfields of old used lots of passing out wide and cross field to break through the lines. We have this in our armoury, but every time Grav steps past a man and accelerates forward at pace, the whole shape of the opposition changes. You sense panic, the start trying to work out who they're marking. Szobo, Trent & the front three start making runs. It is incredibly powerful.

Gravenberch flourishing in new role​

The heaviness – and familiarity – of Manchester United’s defeat put an almost certain end to Casemiro’s time at the club. With Sir Jim Ratcliffe sat gloomily in the stands, it may hasten Erik ten Hag’s tenure towards a time that Ruud van Nistelrooy becomes caretaker manager. Casemiro’s dreadful 45 minutes was full of self-inflicted, scatterbrained mistakes but another Dutchman in Ryan Gravenberch had a little to do with it. He dominated central midfield in both halves. Arne Slot’s most obvious Liverpool innovation so far is making a holding midfielder out of his compatriot. Fifty years ago, Bob Paisley converted Bill Shankly’s final signing, Ray Kennedy, from bustling striker to brilliant attacking midfielder. In repurposing Gravenberch perhaps Slot can make a high-class Liverpool player of Jürgen Klopp’s final addition. Klopp never got to the bottom of Gravenberch. Next up for Slot’s renovation expertise: Darwin Núñez?

Back
Top Bottom