• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Different Gravy

Sure, Gravenberch probably, almost surely has some shortcomings as #6. But there is also tremendous upside in your #6 being able to do THIS:

View: https://x.com/SMXLFC/status/1824907756652183580

Kind of reminds me of that Naby Keita skill in his first game, when everyone thought it was a sign of things to come, but of course it wasn’t. With Ryan you feel he can actually deliver on a promie of a two-way midfielder with silky skills and dominant athleticism that Keita was supposed to be.

Thought he did well in an unfamiliar role but will need a lot of help from everyone else if he’s going to thrive there.

Thought he did well in an unfamiliar role but will need a lot of help from everyone else if he’s going to thrive there.

It’s not an unfamiliar role though - it’s a role he played at Ajax and at Bayern.

His problem has been since leaving Ajax at a very young age he hasn’t played consistently or in any one position.

This rotating double pivot suits him and if we play him there consistently I’d be confident we’ll start to see the best of him.

I love that his first thought is always to go forward, none of this sideways/backward passing rubbish
tumblr_oylxzeaemE1vbcnq8o1_500.gif

Like I said previously, I wouldn't mind managing with Gravy and Stefan (at DM), and our current backline/cover, if it means we spend some fcuking money on sorting out our attack (today was like Old Trafford all over again with some of those misses).

Salah needs back up.

And Diaz needs to be a sub.

I would love to have signed Kudus. He can cover LW, CF and RW. Has pace, quality and end product.

RW - Salah/Kudus (back up)/Diaz (3rd)
CF - Jota/Kudus (back up)/Cody (3rd)
LW - Kudus/Diaz (back up)/Cody (3rd)

85M for Kudus this summer.
Sell Nunez and buy Isak for 100M next summer.
KUDUS was brilliant against Villa yesterday, he is like Mane. We should definitely be in for him if at all possible.

Sure, Gravenberch probably, almost surely has some shortcomings as #6. But there is also tremendous upside in your #6 being able to do THIS:

Kind of reminds me of that Naby Keita skill in his first game, when everyone thought it was a sign of things to come, but of course it wasn’t. With Ryan you feel he can actually deliver on a promie of a two-way midfielder with silky skills and dominant athleticism that Keita was supposed to be.

Just remember everyone that is praising Gravey, this is the first time you have sucked on him since he signed, and then only against a newly promoted team in the PL. So hold your mouths and think before jumping on the Curtis hate train.

Gravy is able to 'disable media'?

Watching ex Chelsea player Kovacic boss Chelsea's new quarter billion pound midfield, does make me wonder. Are new shiny signings always the right solution when you have a press resistant, physically capable, technical solution already in house? Kovacic was at Real Madrid young for a reason; he's actually was/is a top talent. Similarly, there's a reason why Ryan was first picked up by Bayern.

So whilst I like the idea of getting in an upgrade on Endo, even if we had signed Zubi, I would prefer Ryan be given the chance in the double pivot first, because I think his ceiling in the PL is a lot higher (Zubi would be a good rotation though, because I don't think Stef B is ready). If he puts on a bit of muscle, learns the art of tackling and improves his concentration, there are shades of Yaya/Vieira in his game, in terms of driving forward with the ball (and a lovely first touch for a big man).

Watching ex Chelsea player Kovacic boss Chelsea's new quarter billion pound midfield, does make me wonder. Are new shiny signings always the right solution when you have a press resistant, physically capable, technical solution already in house? Kovacic was at Real Madrid young for a reason; he's actually was/is a top talent. Similarly, there's a reason why Ryan was first picked up by Bayern.

So whilst I like the idea of getting in an upgrade on Endo, even if we had signed Zubi, I would prefer Ryan be given the chance in the double pivot first, because I think his ceiling in the PL is a lot higher (Zubi would be a good rotation though, because I don't think Stef B is ready). If he puts on a bit of muscle, learns the art of tackling and improves his concentration, there are shades of Yaya/Vieira in his game, in terms of driving forward with the ball (and a lovely first touch for a big man).
We are not collecting players like toy men in the hope some manager can get them playing together. Apart from Chelsea all other teams get what they need to complete the team. We cant get just one player.

We are not collecting players like toy men in the hope some manager can get them playing together. Apart from Chelsea all other teams get what they need to complete the team. We cant get just one player.
Well, yeah, I agree that we've have a very strange transfer window so far.

Some good sales. But no additions and no contract extensions. I just hope we're playing the long game and going to do something good in these final 10 days.

Well, yeah, I agree that we've have a very strange transfer window so far.

Some good sales. But no additions and no contract extensions. I just hope we're playing the long game and going to do something good in these final 10 days.

I am hoping that that is what all of us are hoping, anyone thinking we have enough to last this season is not thinking straight. I really hope come the close of this window we have:

HOPING NEEDS (MUST HAVES)

1) A defender to replace Gomez if he leaves. If we don't - there is no point watching us this season.
2) A defensively minded midfielder - if we don't then we won't last the season for a sustained title challenge.

BONUS - BUT NO NECESSARY

3) An attacker of some kind - that can cover for Salah and is more lethal in front of goal than Nunez/Diaz

BONUS (ACCEPTABLE - BUT NOT LOSING SLEEP OVER IT)

4) that giant goalkeeper - for the future

I am hoping that that is what all of us are hoping, anyone thinking we have enough to last this season is not thinking straight. I really hope come the close of this window we have:

HOPING NEEDS (MUST HAVES)

1) A defender to replace Gomez if he leaves. If we don't - there is no point watching us this season.
2) A defensively minded midfielder - if we don't then we won't last the season for a sustained title challenge.

BONUS - BUT NO NECESSARY

3) An attacker of some kind - that can cover for Salah and is more lethal in front of goal than Nunez/Diaz

BONUS (ACCEPTABLE - BUT NOT LOSING SLEEP OVER IT)

4) that giant goalkeeper - for the future

I'm so tired of our shit finishing costing us. We created enough chances to win the league last year. If we had clutch Mane instead of Diaz/Nunez, we beat City at Anfield, United at Old Trafford and Everton at Goodison, and we win the league. So personally I would swap 3 and 1. Sell Nunez, buy Isak.

I'm so tired of our shit finishing costing us. We created enough chances to win the league last year. If we had clutch Mane instead of Diaz/Nunez, we beat City at Anfield, United at Old Trafford and Everton at Goodison, and we win the league. So personally I would swap 3 and 1. Sell Nunez, buy Isak.
Isak is injury prone - one of the miracles of our legendary forward line was that the trio were nearly always available for us. Isak to me is another is just below Jota in terms of injury record.

But agree on the finishing costing us the league - it did, but we also could not keep it safe at the other end.

Isak is injury prone - one of the miracles of our legendary forward line was that the trio were nearly always available for us. Isak to me is another is just below Jota in terms of injury record.

But agree on the finishing costing us the league - it did, but we also could not keep it safe at the other end.

I think the defensive record can improve under Slot, with this new shape out of possession, where we fall into a 442. And have a compact 4. Also, if we are not so committed to counterpressing every time we get the ball and have more control over the game.

Such a strategy would infer there's going to be less opportunities to attack but also higher quality chances created. But as we saw at the weekend, even with a couple of sitters, Diaz missed the shot, rounding the GK or easy cut back for a tap-in goal. That sort of profligacy means that games are in balance for longer (and not over by half time), which mean, we're more likely to need to attack more and not control games. When were our clinical best, we were 2-0 up by half time and oppositions' spirits were broken. Also, missing sitters, at Ipswich, we can get away with. However, we can't get away with such chances missed at Old Trafford or the Emirates.

Grav Mac and Szobo are all very good players there's no getting away from that, they just need to show it more often.

In time under this coaching and once they start to hit their prime years, could be one of the best midfield trio in Europe.

You do realize that City have Rodri, right?

First of all I saw most of that game, I thought the best midfielder was Lavia despite being on the losing side.

Now regarding your point of Grav, - I think one good game against newly promoted Ipswich is not good enough to trust him for the whole season in that position. it is not going to work and it won't.

First of all I saw most of that game, I thought the best midfielder was Lavia despite being on the losing side.

Now regarding your point of Grav, - I think one good game against newly promoted Ipswich is not good enough to trust him for the whole season in that position. it is not going to work and it won't.
I want us to sign a number 6 (like a Zubi) as cover/rotation still because of this reason.

But I still want Ryan to have first crack at the role.

"If all the other 10 players would've played shit at Ipswich then maybe Ryan wouldn't have been able to have a good game." - Arne has a way with words.

I haven't a clue, I'm sure he means well ... He also back peddled on the Quansah remarks from Ipswich match, might see a few misinterpretations this season due to language.

Back
Top Bottom