• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool Vs Man UTD EL Ro16 1st Leg Pre Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

6TimesaRed

Not a Bot....
Administrator
As enjoyable as it is reading the Pardew bashing, and was it a dive or not.. Big Game Thursday lads..

I'm all giddy with excitement for this one..

How should we line up ?

What do we expect from this game ?

Predictions ?

Making two Despicable cunts in a week explode with rage would be Ace.. (Van Gaal)..

Last edited:
I'll get this out the way early...

I'm super confident, we're on the rise, have a number of previously injured players fresh and finding their rhythm, and a manager settling into the role. Utd are all over the place with no sense of direction or team spirit, and a squad chock full of mediocre individuals.

I'm going for 3-0 or 4-0. Benteke to come on and bag a late brace.

Despite all the mockery and criticism he's got, Van Gaal has actually got one thing right - the Mancs are quite hard to beat at Old Trafford again. After losing 7 home games under Moyes, they've lost just 6 games across all competitions in 2 seasons under Van Gaal (if you don't count the loss after penalty kicks to Boro in the League Cup). They've had 6 goalless draws at home this season (including that Boro game), so while he's choking the life out of his team, he's also managed to constrict the opponents at home.

So our qualification most likely have to rely on us getting a home win. A goalless draw isn't ideal, but probably grudgingly acceptable. One thing's for sure - we've to do everything we can to make sure we don't concede, and if unfortunately we do, then we have to win the game.

Given that, I'm rather conflicted as to who I'd like to see in the front four. While Sturridge and Coutinho are our best individual players up front, I think I might lean in favour of form and team balance for this game, at least for the first 45 minutes. So, I think I might favour keeping the same front four that started our last two games.

Controversial and perhaps contradictory, given what I'd said earlier about needing to win this game, and here I am saying we leave our best striker and most creative player on the bench. Two things on my mind here: (1) I think we'll need to have Milner's and Lallana's work rate to help the defence check the pace of Martial and Lingard, and (2) if Milner and Lallana can play with the directness and energy that they showed against City in the league game, then, success!

Another consideration is that Van Gaal will try to choke the middle, so I think we will end up going long more often, which means we require someone tall and strong enough to challenge for the aerial clearances, yet pacy and mobile enough and willing to pull wide or run deep to reach the passes from the back. I think Origi demonstrated pretty well in the last two games that he was capable of doing these. Plus, Firmino and Origi have the higher workrate to drop deep when we need them for defensive duties.

There's still the bit about lacking a proper goalscoring threat of course, but between Firmino, Lallana and Milner, there's 13 goals scored this year, so I'm banking on them keeping the good form running. This is all assuming they can repeat the performance level they showed in the league game against City.

If we can maintain energetic pressure and harassment for the first 45 minutes, we'll hopefully fray some nerves and prepare the ground for Coutinho and Sturridge (and maybe even Benteke to draw a cheap penalty - I'd love that!) later in the second half to really exploit the gaps. First the body blows, then the killer blows.

Of course, we could do it the other way round and try to sting them with the best attacking guys right from the start, but I think Van Gaal will be preparing for that lineup and will have tasked his team to slow the game down, and assigned specific areas and players to close down hard on Sturridge, Coutinho and Firmino. City shut us down in the regulation time in the League Cup final doing just that, stifling our creative players and giving us hardly any room to play.

Anyway, really looking forward to this. The Mancs are apparently giving out free white T-shirts to ticket holders to form a white sea at the away end. Hope we tear them to shreds and it ends up looking like a limp white hanky of surrender.

----------------Mignolet-------------

Clyne------Skrtel------Lovren-----Moreno

Can-----------Henderson

------Sturridge------Firmino------Coutinho

--------------------Benteke---------------

Is Skrtel fit yet? Odd that he was on the bench against City, then not in the squad against Palace. Hasn't played since Christmas, so I'm not sure if Klopp thinks he's ready to start this game.

I've ;left out Milner. Hmmm.
I'd drop coutinho to the bench...

He has just comeback from injury, and not looking 100% tbh..

If you gonna play Tekkers uptop you have Milner to supply the crosses..

Great option to have Coutniho from the bench if things aint going our way though..

the team that played against Palace was shite, it was only after we lost Milner that we did anything. I'd drop Origi and Milner, would also be tempted to drop Lallana but am gonna give him the benefit.

I think we'll win 2-0 on Thursday and with the Mancs having to attack in their home game we'll complete the job 1-3 (5-1 on aggregate) which would be nice.

I'll get this out the way early...

I'm super confident, we're on the rise, have a number of previously injured players fresh and finding their rhythm, and a manager settling into the role. Utd are all over the place with no sense of direction or team spirit, and a squad chock full of mediocre individuals.

I'm going for 3-0 or 4-0. Benteke to come on and bag a late brace.
We were super confident and on the rise this time last year as well, United then put us back in our place. I'm not trying to reverse jinx in my usual fashion here, but Van Gaal's United has had us completely worked out every single time we've faced them, even when they've been stuttering and we've been flying, this is going to be a very tough game, and they'll probably nick yet another ugly win.

We were super confident and on the rise this time last year as well, United then put us back in our place. I'm not trying to reverse jinx in my usual fashion here, but Van Gaal's United has had us completely worked out every single time we've faced them, even when they've been stuttering and we've been flying, this is going to be a very tough game, and they'll probably nick yet another ugly win.

I don't think they had us completely worked out last time, they just sucker punched us.

As enjoyable as it is reading the Pardew bashing, and was it a dive or not.. Big Game Thursday lads..

I'm all giddy with excitement for this one..

How should we line up ?

What do we expect from this game ?

Predictions ?

Making two Despicable cunts in a week explode with rage would be Ace.. (Van Gaal)..
Not looking forward to this as they know how to beat us.

I'd go with Origi and Sturridge up top from the start but its difficult to fit everyone in. Most of our attacking players suit that left berth in Klopps formations - coutinho, firmino, Lallana (though I'd argue he's better at rw), and if Sturridge plays up top Origi is after that LW spot as well, but he runs in behind better than Firmino

I'm not too arsed about wedging coutinho in, I'd rather he play his way into the team as we sacrifice more shape if we do

Mignolet
Clyne Lovren Sakho Moreno
Milner Can
Lallana Sturridge Firmino
Origi

Give Hendo a chance off the bench, that seems the best way to fit everyone in

I'd go with Origi and Sturridge up top from the start but its difficult to fit everyone in. Most of our attacking players suit that left berth in Klopps formations - coutinho, firmino, Lallana (though I'd argue he's better at rw), and if Sturridge plays up top Origi is after that LW spot as well, but he runs in behind better than Firmino

I'm not too arsed about wedging coutinho in, I'd rather he play his way into the team as we sacrifice more shape if we do

Mignolet
Milner Can
Lallana Sturridge Firmino
Origi

Give Hendo a chance off the bench, that seems the best way to fit everyone in

Origi leading the attack with Sturridge behind? What? Why?

Ming
Henderson Can Milner
Coutinho Firmino
Sturridge

Shame Flanno isnt registered. I'd have started him instead of Moreno.

They have no Rooney and injury ridden.. Nothing to fear here guys.. Nothing at all..

We will beat them over 2 legs..

Having the 2nd leg away, is probably to our advantage, as it is our away form that shines through compared to our home form..

They have no Rooney and injury ridden.. Nothing to fear here guys.. Nothing at all..

Having the 2nd leg away, is probably to our advantage, as it is our away form that shines through compared to our home form..

Nothing to fear apart from losing our last 4 fixtures against them. And having the second leg away isn't an advantage, and nobody would choose it either.

Its never easy against the Mancs.
Can see a narrow win at home and a draw away. Hopefully. Think this will be very tight.

Yeah, there is loads to fucking fear. It's horrendous. I do think we owe the bastards big time, though LVG is an expert at strangling any creativity out of a game, and we're pretty good at that without any help anyway. I'm pretty worried about the whole thing.

The only possible advantage of being away in the second leg would be if we keep them scoreless at home, and also should it go the extra time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom