• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Match Thread [Dee can suck it - Friendly] Real Betis (N) 19:30 EDT (00:30 BST)

I don’t want to loan out Bajcetic; let’s not forget he was plucked for our Academy from another country - he needs to “put his roots down” here in Liverpool as much as possible otherwise we might find ourselves in a situation where we might have to sell him for cheap when Real/Barca come calling. His minutes would need to be managed, but I want Slot to integrate him into the team and make it clear he’s part of the long-term plans.

If it’s a straight choice between keeping Morton or Endo, who are you picking? It’s not a straightoward choice IMO…

Endo. Morton's eventual ceiling may be higher, but Endo is good enough now and we need him now. I'm all for planning ahead as much as possible, but the operative word is "possible" and we have to look after our current needs as well. IMHO of course.

Endo. Morton's eventual ceiling may be higher, but Endo is good enough now and we need him now. I'm all for planning ahead as much as possible, but the operative word is "possible" and we have to look after our current needs as well. IMHO of course.
Yeah, that's a strong argument. We need someone for the "Milner role" and that's not going to be Morton. But I also want to give Morton a chance and if we do, we might have ourselves a home-grown gem. Really don't know what's the solution is.

Yeah, that's a strong argument. We need someone for the "Milner role" and that's not going to be Morton. But I also want to give Morton a chance and if we do, we might have ourselves a home-grown gem. Really don't know what's the solution is.

Endo - 1st team
Bajcetic - Cover
Morton - EPL loan

The problem with getting Morton a loan move to a team in the EPL, is getting Morton a loan move to team in the EPL.

I think an EPL team would take Morton on loan - I believe he’s good enough and his profile is in demand. The problem for me is if after 2 years of consequtive loans (where he did well) we still don’t give him a chance, then we probably never will and it’s better to just sell.

I remember people saying that Wilson was good enough based on how he performed while out on loan.
Playing well in the Championship doesnt mean he's good in the prem.
But disregarding all that, who do we sacrifice in order for Morton to get game time?

Let's say everyone is fit and we're playing Scunthorpe U in the 4th round of the league cup. Who starts in midfield?

I've got, Bajcetic, Jones, Gravy. Maybe Elliot is in there if he's not on the wing.

I remember people saying that Wilson was good enough based on how he performed while out on loan.
Playing well in the Championship doesnt mean he's good in the prem.
But disregarding all that, who do we sacrifice in order for Morton to get game time?

Let's say everyone is fit and we're playing Scunthorpe U in the 4th round of the league cup. Who starts in midfield?

I've got, Bajcetic, Jones, Gravy. Maybe Elliot is in there if he's not on the wing.

I mean, Harry Wilson IS a Premier League player now and even scored against us. But yeah, most people could see he is not going to displace Salah any time soon - or ever reach that level.

Morton could be a different story - his passing stats are really, really good, from what I’ve seen, someone like that could just add a bit of physicality and “bite” to his game and suddenly become a complete package. Not saying he necessarily will, but he is still on a trajectory of a potentially top midfielder - it would be stupid not to give him a chance IMO, especially in a position where we’re rather thin.

I mean, Harry Wilson IS a Premier League player now and even scored against us. But yeah, most people could see he is not going to displace Salah any time soon - or ever reach that level.

Morton could be a different story - his passing stats are really, really good, from what I’ve seen, someone like that could just add a bit of physicality and “bite” to his game and suddenly become a complete package. Not saying he necessarily will, but he is still on a trajectory of a potentially top midfielder - it would be stupid not to give him a chance IMO, especially in a position where we’re rather thin.
You're right he is, but I'm talking about PL players who would be good enough to play for us. We don't exactly miss Wilson.

In an ideal situation he would get a chance, but there's some Gravy in his way imo and it's Dutch.

I can't remember the last time a Liverpool player was out for a year and got close to their previous level the following season. This will be a transitional year for Bajcetic and I could see some good sense in a loan move if it gave him more playing time to get back to his previous level.
But in his relatively small number of appearances for us to date, he has looked like a proper player, so I'd rather have him here if we can and will give him sufficient game time to get back up to speed.

He’s very young and the «injury»/growth pains will most likely not have any negative impact on him.
Dont think its any issue for him to reach his potential but he needs time and easing in these next months.

He’s very young and the «injury»/growth pains will most likely not have any negative impact on him.
Dont think its any issue for him to reach his potential but he needs time and easing in these next months.
Yeah, I hope you're right. But he's been out a long time. The likes of Gerrard and Ryan Giggs had lots of injury niggles linked to growing pains and still managed to play to high standards and had long careers. But their injuries were more frequent and short-term. Owen and Fowler stick out as players where injuries meant their best years were at the very start of their careers.
I was thinking more of older players - when players have best part of a year out, we have to make allowances for the following season as their form usually dips and then recovers the following season. We saw it most recently with Virgil.

Yeah, I hope you're right. But he's been out a long time. The likes of Gerrard and Ryan Giggs had lots of injury niggles linked to growing pains and still managed to play to high standards and had long careers. But their injuries were more frequent and short-term. Owen and Fowler stick out as players where injuries meant their best years were at the very start of their careers.
I was thinking more of older players - when players have best part of a year out, we have to make allowances for the following season as their form usually dips and then recovers the following season. We saw it most recently with Virgil.
Back in those days, Owen and Fowler were probably told to walk it off.

Yeah, I think he will need at least 6 months of easing in.
Sports science is on a whole other level now then 15-20 years ago and you’d wonder of a few careers could have been prolonged with whats available today.

I'm not sure about Gravy TBH. The raw material is there but I'm not convinced he can make it count consistently enough.

I’m telling you your hunch is right. He and Gakpo are just not good enough. Show up occasionally - won’t lead you to a title

I still have at least some hope for Gakpo - not as leader of the line, no, but as an option coming in off the left. He will have to show more and do it more consistently, but it'll help if he's picked consistently in his best position instead of being used as a jack-of-all-trades.

As for Gravy, perhaps we're now seeing why - despite the talent he clearly has - he hasn't established himself somewhere before now.

I still have at least some hope for Gakpo - not as leader of the line, no, but as an option coming in off the left. He will have to show more and do it more consistently, but it'll help if he's picked consistently in his best position instead of being used as a jack-of-all-trades.

As for Gravy, perhaps we're now seeing why - despite the talent he clearly has - he hasn't established himself somewhere before now.
Yepp, agree totally. Gakpo is a better fit in what Slot appears to be doing so let's see wrt him. As for Gravenberch, he needs to wake up before his career starts to slide away from him

Endo - 1st team sell
Bajcetic - Cover
Morton - Cover
Steph's fitness is still in question. I think we need an upgrade on Endo ideally. I can name 2-3 and @binomial probably name 2 dozens that could replace Endo.

The question is what to do about Trent in a Slott system? If its MF, he can solve the width issue on the rightside.

Steph's fitness is still in question. I think we need an upgrade on Endo ideally. I can name 2-3 and @binomial probably name 2 dozens that could replace Endo.

The question is what to do about Trent in a Slott system? If its MF, he can solve the width issue on the rightside.

The only 2 names for a new DM I've mentioned us to sign since the season ended were Wieffer and Ederson & unlike you I really like Endo, I'd very much like us to keep Endo and I see him being an important squad player for the next year or 2.

Back
Top Bottom