• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

COPA AMERICA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the entire game, and that was my takeaway, too. This was Nunez's moment—playing against ten-man Colombia for more than a half and not delivering. Uruguay committed so much forward, and Diaz had so many opportunities to score, and he did not impress either.

Of course, folks will point out the overall number of goals we scored. But that does not tell the whole story. It is also the consistency of goal scoring. I remember in Salah's third season; there was a big debate here on Salah vs Suarez. Folks pointed out the goal scored per game by Suarez in that season. Suarez's total goal scored in the number of games he played was spectacular, but they came in bursts - 4 or 5 against Norwich,hattrick against some other team. The peak was something we had not seen before. Salah's consistency was sensational - a goal literally every game.

One creates legendary memories. The other wins you the premier league.

I believe we have the attack to get close to what is needed to win the PL in total numbers. I don't think they have the consistency to distribute it among games - that boring day in and day out, no matter who the opposition is, we will score more than you. This assumes Slott is as effective as Klopp in squeezing performance out of his attack.
We fell short against City, Utd, Arsenal, the Atalantas. When the pressure is on, and going into the final leg of the season, these guys couldn't deliver. That to me is starking.

We cannot always create 20 chances and finish off 1 or 2. Against poorer sides we might create 20 chances, but against the top sides, or when we are having a bad day where we struggle to create clear cut chances they will need to count. But Nunez and Diaz cannot be relied on.

Even in this Copa, I have seen nothing to tell me they are snapping out of it anytime soon. When the pressure is on, they do not deliver, as per what we have witness all of last season.

Darwin starts for Uruguay in the third place game against Canada. We'll see how his mental state is and if he can focus on the task ahead for 90 minutes.

Also possibly Suarez's swansong at the international level.

Darwin starts for Uruguay in the third place game against Canada. We'll see how his mental state is and if he can focus on the task ahead for 90 minutes.

Also possibly Suarez's swansong at the international level.

Darwin subbed off at HT along with Ugarte.

So are finally coming to the conclusion that Darwin sporadically sparkles, generally against lesser opposition or are there still a few hoisting the “bestest striker in the world” banner?

Tough loss for Canada. Suarez equalizes in injury time and then Canada misses two penalties, including MOTM Kone and our captain, Davies.

We were surprisingly the much better team, even with rotating the squad to let some of the younger players play. A huge step forward for us but gutting way for it to end.

So are finally coming to the conclusion that Darwin sporadically sparkles, generally against lesser opposition or are there still a few hoisting the “bestest striker in the world” banner?

He was completely anonymous tonight. Suarez offered much more after coming on.

He was completely anonymous tonight. Suarez offered much more after coming on.

So I guess the narrative that Nunez plays better for Bielsa and Uruguay is dead - apparently what happened is that he scored against lesser/easier opponents and once again didn’t deliver when it mattered most. Maybe I’m being harsh, but that’s one way to read it.

Or maybe he was just physically exhausted after a long season.

He's not going to have much of a pre-season. We are getting the same sporadic Darwin back if he is not going to be banned for 99 years.

So I guess the narrative that Nunez plays better for Bielsa and Uruguay is dead - apparently what happened is that he scored against lesser/easier opponents and once again didn’t deliver when it mattered most. Maybe I’m being harsh, but that’s one way to read it.

Or he didn’t give a shit about a losers final.

If we don’t win shit and you can partly blame his misses then people will continue to want him out of the club. If we win shit most people won’t care how many he scores/doesn’t score.

Outshined by a 40-year old.

Or maybe his head isnt in the right place after what happened a few days ago?

Regardless, we need a new striker going forward. Just a shame there arent many good alternatives out there.

Shame we didnt go for Isak. Watching him for Newcastle makes me think he would have been perfect for us.

Jesus that's BS mate.

Goals against those minnows Brazil, Argentina and Colombia (2 games).

5 goals in 7 games in 2024
5 goals in 6 games in 2023.

I've never subscribed to the idea Bielsa has unlocked Nunez, nor do I think you can read too much from international football. He just a maddening inconsistent player and human being. We either have to sell him or plan around his current personality and abilities. The club should not plan the recruitment strategy in the expectation that Nunez will suddenly click into gear and replace the goals previously scored by Mo Salah. That may have been the plan at the time of his signing, but all evidence since then is demonstrating what a risk it would be. I spend my days wishing Diogo Jotas body was made of better stuff.

Or maybe his head isnt in the right place after what happened a few days ago?

Regardless, we need a new striker going forward. Just a shame there arent many good alternatives out there.

Shame we didnt go for Isak. Watching him for Newcastle makes me think he would have been perfect for us.
He gets injured alot

This thread is shit without Nunez in the tournament now. I mean the talent in South America has conpletely died now.

This thread is shit without Nunez in the tournament now. I mean the talent in South America has conpletely died now.

Richard Rios says hi. He's the new superstar on the block, sexy as a mother fucker too. Keep an eye out.

Further delayed now until 2:15, what a complete farce......gotta be up in a little over 5 hours for work, knew this was a bad idea. VERY VERY BAD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom