• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Adidas from 25/26

Kinda mad how much fuss there was over switching to Nike but didn't seem like it had any big payoff

Kinda mad how much fuss there was over switching to Nike but didn't seem like it had any big payoff
I think that it went to the High Court in a dispute with NB contributed to it getting more attention than usual.

From what I've seen the Nike deal is largely seen as a success, but yeah, even with this deal we're still ~30m a year down on Uniteds contract with Adidas so there's more room for growth. United are locked in to a ten year deal though so they'll be chance to get closer during that period.

The Nike deal was much more lucrative vs the previous NB deal as LFC get a share of net sales.

Apparently this new Adidas deal guarantees LFC a significantly higher number compared to Nike. Will know more in the coming months when details come to light. Nike pissed them off by winning the German national team contract & Adidas is expected to aggressively target current Nike deals.

@Beamrider any idea how much we made from Nike deal please? I heard one Reddit commentator say £109m and the Echo was saying about £60m which is kind of shit when you think the Arse are making £75m before they've sold a shirt. Look at PSGs deal, which has a significantly smaller fan base but closer to $90m a year

@Beamrider any idea how much we made from Nike deal please? I heard one Reddit commentator say £109m and the Echo was saying about £60m which is kind of shit when you think the Arse are making £75m before they've sold a shirt. Look at PSGs deal, which has a significantly smaller fan base but closer to $90m a year
I would suggest that there's the whiff of corruption in that deal.

I found this but PSG figures seem low considering how much Nike pushes them
kit-sales-1709647774-131013.png

Short answer is no. The club doesn't publish that level of detail in their accounts.
The only indication is commercial income, which moved as follows:

2018-19 (pre Nike) £188m
2019-20 (pre Nike) £217m
2020-21 (with Nike) £217m
2021-22 £246m
2022-23 £272m

So, in the first year of the deal, commercial income didn't move at all, but it did go up by £29m the year before, which may have been a one-off, the hole for which was then filled by Nike the following year. But I'm speculating.

Needless to say, there'll be loads of other stuff in there, so you can't put those figures down to Nike alone.

As per UEFA European Club's finance & investment landscape report LFC made 113 million GBP from kit & merchandising sales which is 4th behind Barca, Real & Bayern

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2024/...with the American,to have paid off handsomely.

uefakitsales.jpg

I found this but PSG figures seem low considering how much Nike pushes them
kit-sales-1709647774-131013.png
Given it says it's UEFA sourced then those numbers should be legit, but I wasn't aware UEFA published this kind of stuff.
It also gives a realistic assessment of where City sit in terms of the value of their brand to anyone who isn't in cahoots with their owners. If these numbers can be verified, I would be putting this in evidence in the 115 trial as proof that the Etihad and other deals are massively over-priced.
The United deal is an outlier though, it's more a measure of their ability to drive a hard bargain than an assessment of where they are in the pecking order.
Remember when that marketing guy at Chevrolet was sacked after they did the shirt sponsorship deal at a huge price? Wonder what went on there?
A propos of nothing in particular, I always had a concern when intermediaries were used in our sponsorship deals as I wondered whether some of their fee ended up in the wrong hands, as with the agents (allegedly).

I know that some sponsorship deals can be linked to signings etc, I wonder if this deal will have any bearing on Mos's contract?

Short answer is no. The club doesn't publish that level of detail in their accounts.
The only indication is commercial income, which moved as follows:

2018-19 (pre Nike) £188m
2019-20 (pre Nike) £217m
2020-21 (with Nike) £217m
2021-22 £246m
2022-23 £272m

So, in the first year of the deal, commercial income didn't move at all, but it did go up by £29m the year before, which may have been a one-off, the hole for which was then filled by Nike the following year. But I'm speculating.

Needless to say, there'll be loads of other stuff in there, so you can't put those figures down to Nike alone.
Using the figures in public domain the 2022 - 23 commercial can be broken down as follows

Total Commercial income (published accounts) - 246m
Nike Kit & Merchandise (UEFA report) - 113m
Standard Chartered (media reports) - ~50m
AXA (media reports) - ~20m
Expedia (media reports) - ~9m

The above 4 deals add upto between 190 - 195m. On LFC website there are another 18 partners listed (a few of them were signed after 2022-23), which means an average of 3m per deal for the rest of them. Does that sound plausible given your experience?

They did a bunch of LeBron James collabs that I imagine wouldn't be possible with Adidas. Hard to say what payoff is/isn't as don't really follow our annual accounts.

Using the figures in public domain the 2022 - 23 commercial can be broken down as follows

Total Commercial income (published accounts) - 246m
Nike Kit & Merchandise (UEFA report) - 113m
Standard Chartered (media reports) - ~50m
AXA (media reports) - ~20m
Expedia (media reports) - ~9m

The above 4 deals add upto between 190 - 195m. On LFC website there are another 18 partners listed (a few of them were signed after 2022-23), which means an average of 3m per deal for the rest of them. Does that sound plausible given your experience?
This looks plausible to me.
On partnerships, £3m per deal is probably a bit high as an average, but there will be all kinds of other stuff in the commercial figures, including:
Retail income (NB we manage this in-house so this will be gross income, not just a percentage as with some other clubs)
Licensing income (i.e. people who pay us a royalty to make LFC-branded pencil cases or whatever)
Pre-season tour income (which would include ticketing income)
Catering and events (e.g. the likes of Players' Awards etc).
Some of the above will be included in match day income where it relates to first team games, but anything earned outside those days will sit in commercial.

Man U's shirt deal is £90m a year and according to Fifa we made from Merch, then one has to imagine the £109m spoken by Reddit reader is about accurate. So what was adidas's deal that usurped Nike?

To be fair, PSG do seem to sell a lot of shirts - just not in England - not in the Real, Barca, Man Utd, or Liverpool volume, but I’d seem more PSG shirts than other big clubs.

Back
Top Bottom