• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Georgian on my mind

GH.. already had Westerveld. But then bought Dudek and Kirkland.

Under Klopp we were collecting youth keepers for fun. Usually 2 at age age. 15, 16, 17, 18, 19....

They say you never forget where you were when you found out we were signing both Dudek AND Kirkland on the same day.

For me it was in the WH Smiths in Lime St station, browsing the back page of the Mirror, on my way back to uni from a trip home. Momentous.

I can’t remember. I do remember seeing when Ged was announced. It was on the front of an Echo stand at Bootle Strand.

I remember being in a card shop in town (which isn't there any more) when they announced on the Radio that Kenny had resigned (post Hillsborough). And the whole shop was stunned into silence.

I don't remember that one tbh. Would've been 8 at the time. I do remember listening to the 4-4 cup replay with Everton on the radio with my brother, might well be the first game I ever listened to tbh. And of course that pretty much precipitated the resignation, I think.

I don't remember that one tbh. Would've been 8 at the time. I do remember listening to the 4-4 cup replay with Everton on the radio with my brother, might well be the first game I ever listened to tbh. And of course that pretty much precipitated the resignation, I think.
I remember doing the exact same thing. I have no recollection of the resignation. Probably because I never realised the magnitude.

Bournemouth to pay loan fee of ~€5m?

=====

Negotiations are progressing for the transfer of Mamardashvili to @LFC who would first go on loan to @afcbournemouth

Bournemouth will pay for the loan and will complete the amount that Liverpool does not reach at a fixed 35 + 5 bonuses, it was a little more than 30 fixed and bonuses up to 35. They are close but not closed yet.

The goalkeeper wants to leave now and gain experience in the Premier League before the challenge in goal at Anfield.

View: https://x.com/Generaldepie_/status/1823891131802747040

Thanks KB

I remember hearing on the radio that we'd just bought Paul Ince. I'd just picked up some flyers for a rave I'd organised from an industrial estate near Warrington and it was pissing down on the M62. I started punching the steering wheel, it's possibly the most angry I'd ever been. I had to get off at the next junction and get drunk on my own before I drove the car over the central reservation, I was just furious. My missus had to get a taxi to pick me and the car up. I fucking hate that man.

In happier news I remember seeing we'd bought hyypia and hamman a couple of years later when the echo got delivered to the shop I was in. Was it the same day or did I make that bit up?

In happier news I remember seeing we'd bought hyypia and hamman a couple of years later when the echo got delivered to the shop I was in. Was it the same day or did I make that bit up?

Same summer, think Hamann was much later, if I remember right he was the last signing. Think Hyypia or Camara was first. Or maybe Westerveld.

Pretty sure it was that summer they shipped Ince off to Wolves, though!

Yeah I think it stuck in my head because hamman was possibly our record signing. Can't remember the details but it seemed a massive fee. I thought he was good but not great and didn't get why we'd paid so much. Anyways he turned out much better than I'd hoped. A great advert for Marlboro.

I've always had a ridiculously good memory for figures, dates etc, so I can give you the details.

Hamann ended up costing £8m I think, although it was originally reported as 7.

That was our second biggest signing ever, not the record. The record was Collymore at £8.5m, which I'm pretty sure stood until we signed Heskey for £11m towards the end of that 99/00 season.

Jesus, when we went for record signings in the 90s they just didn't deliver.

Who is our current record signing VVD? Please don't tell me that it's Nunez.

Yeah I think it stuck in my head because hamman was possibly our record signing. Can't remember the details but it seemed a massive fee. I thought he was good but not great and didn't get why we'd paid so much. Anyways he turned out much better than I'd hoped. A great advert for Marlboro.
I remember Did signed and they kept showing a worldie goal he's scored for the barcodes. Everyone thought that was his game. He didn't have much of a pre-season with us then got injured (think it was in our first game at Sheff Wed away). He played catch/up most of that season and looked a bit meh.
Then the following year he was just Didi. Fucking awesome, but not a scorer of multiple worldie goals. But I saw then why Houllier had signed him. Just the kind of player we could use right now.

I remember Did signed and they kept showing a worldie goal he's scored for the barcodes. Everyone thought that was his game. He didn't have much of a pre-season with us then got injured (think it was in our first game at Sheff Wed away). He played catch/up most of that season and looked a bit meh.
Then the following year he was just Didi. Fucking awesome, but not a scorer of multiple worldie goals. But I saw then why Houllier had signed him. Just the kind of player we could use right now.
Hamann should be called The Rug, cause he really tied the room together.

He had an amazing ability to hold up opposition attackers, and then to foul them in a way that made it look like they'd fouled him. He would stop the opposition attack and win a free kick in the process. I've never seen anyone do it quite as well as he did.
He and Sami were my big faves from that Houllier era.

I was super psyched about Litmanen. DidI got me excited too but Jani was the one back then. Since then it was the prospect of having Suarez and Torres together that only lasted about a week!

Which means we get nothing for players which would’ve provided us with huge fees in Ali, Salah and VVD. Possibly Trent too.

Seems a little bit dubious to commit to a 2 year loan up front as you never know what can happen but great to get him on the books.

Wonder if he’ll be playing for Slot by then

Same summer, think Hamann was much later, if I remember right he was the last signing. Think Hyypia or Camara was first. Or maybe Westerveld.

Pretty sure it was that summer they shipped Ince off to Wolves, though!
PA-319958.jpg

You're correct.... Hamann was the same summer, but he came in later than the above players, they were all in during May/June, Hamann arrived in July.

Vladimir SmicerLens£3,750,00024 May 1999
Titi CamaraMarseille£2,600,0001 June 1999
Stephane HenchozBlackburn Rovers£3,500,0003 June 1999
Sander WesterveldVitesse Arnhem£4,000,00015 June 1999
Erik MeijerFree TransferFree *1 July 1999
Didi HamannNewcastle United£8,000,00022 July 1999

Hyypia is my favourite-ever signing. We discovered him by chance, paid the sum of the change down the sofa and had a world-class CB and captain for years. Henchoz deserves some love, too. It's rare for a side to get 30 or below goals conceded in the league. We did both in 2000 and 2002, despite a pretty average GK.

Back
Top Bottom