• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Georgian on my mind

Player wants it to close
Don't we all, 2 weeks of hearing the same shit.

We'll probably still be trying to conclude this on deadline day, only to hear reports come out the club that Hughes was angry the deal fell through because Valencia gave him their word a deal could be reached at 35m or some bollocks.

Really good deal this. Most likely to stay on loan at Valencia for 12-24 months depending on Ali.
Feels good to have the GK situation for the future sorted. We all know what an absolute pain it is to have a shit GK.

yaaay-saturday-night-live.gif

Why are we making such a pigs ear of these signings. Whats changed from our usual behind closed doors approach where we hear a rumour next minute the fuckers signed.
This lad, Gordon, the Mammas boy. All drawn out embarrassing nonsenses. We seem to have regressed badly in our approach.

I mean great, we almost have a back up keeper for next season. Ter. Rif. Ic.

If Ali drops off or decides to move on in the next 1-3 years, this may be the most forward thinking, important signing we could make.

But I'm worried it could have the effect of pushing him out the door sooner than otherwise would happen.

Also concerned that he's not as good with the ball at his feet (who is, tbf?) and that we'll have to change our style of player further to accommodate the swap.

This transfer is funny if it goes through. I can see all these clubs from the lower leagues and lower PL clubs phoning up:

Some Other Club: "Hi is that LFC ? - Can we talk to your Transfer department",

LFC Switchboard: "yes will transfer you now..."

LFC Agent: "Hello - how can I help you ?"

Some other club: "Hi - we really need a player that is a DM, but he has to be nearly world class but he wont join us, was wondering if you can bid for him and then if he accepts we can come to some loan arrangement for him ?"

LFC Agent: "Of course we can do that, I'll arrange an appointment with Mr Hughes"

So no we are intermediaries for the other clubs that cannot get that player, but we can and loan them out.

This is exactly the sort of move everyone is moaning we didn't do over the past few seasons, the kind of forward planning we've lacked. I get it's frustrating that other moves haven't come to fruition, but this is the kind of progressive planning that's exactly what we didn't do with Salah and VVD.

This signing a bit like your parents handing you the keys to a Corsa on your 14th birthday. You didn't ask for it and you have to stare out the window looking at the fucker for 2 years hoping it will be of any use.

When Hughes said there would be a crescendo of August deals I didn't take that to mean we were buying players off Valencia and handing them straight back, but here we are.

Moaning over, if this guy ends up replacing Allison for years then we'll look back on this transfer happily.From what I can tell he's massive, agile, gets down rapidly, has decent positioning, and generally stops more goals than he has any right to. I've read he's clunky with the ball, which is something he needs to work on. At 23 he's got plenty of time yet.

This is exactly the sort of move everyone is moaning we didn't do over the past few seasons, the kind of forward planning we've lacked. I get it's frustrating that other moves haven't come to fruition, but this is the kind of progressive planning that's exactly what we didn't do with Salah and VVD.
We have been doing it loads with our youngsters over the years, Q was loaned out the season before last before we started him in games last season. It's nothing new as far I can see, but what makes this funny is that the first major signing he is making is going to be loaned out to his old club, and unlike what you are talking about - this signing is gonna be over the £30M mark.

We have been doing it loads with our youngsters over the years, Q was loaned out the season before last before we started him in games last season. It's nothing new as far I can see, but what makes this funny is that the first major signing he is making is going to be loaned out to his old club, and unlike what you are talking about - this signing is gonna be over the £30M mark.
What's the price got to do with anything? Do you think we would pay any less to forward plan and replace Salah or VVD?

Cheap punts on youngsters are different. We'll do 10-15 or so and maybe one or two will come good and a few more will make us a few quid back.

What's the price got to do with anything? Do you think we would pay any less to forward plan and replace Salah or VVD?

Cheap punts on youngsters are different. We'll do 10-15 or so and maybe one or two will come good and a few more will make us a few quid back.

Price has everything to do with it, we have done this before actually - with Naby Keita, so it really is nothing new for us. My bad.

Price has everything to do with it, we have done this before actually - with Naby Keita, so it really is nothing new for us. My bad.
Its not really something we've done prolifically, Keita is only one example really. We've not forward planned in this way so much previously. Otherwise we'd have replaced Bobby and Mane with better/more suitable replacements.

I think we arguably might have done it (forward planned) when buying Diaz, but I don't recall it being a trend as such, certainly not one that was obvious.

It's nothing like Keita - with him the club wanted him immediately, but couldn't get him so negotiated a deal to get him 12 months later. The failure of Keita had nothing to do with the structure of the deal.

This is buying someone, who we don't need or want immediately, as a future replacement for an established star and is a really good example of future planning.

Comparing it to the Keita deal and implying it is likely to fail as a result, is like saying we should never spend over €30M for a player as that is what we did with Carrol and look what happened there ...

Its an excellent signing for an absolute steal of a fee. Planning ahead like we've been talking about that the club needs to do, but when we actually do it our fans complain its in the wrong position.

Chelsea were quoted 80 mill for this lad last season but Valencia's dire financial state means that they have to sell.
In other words we wouldn't have moved now if it wasn't for the fee that could be agreed.

Having one of the best up and coming goalkeepers ready to come in once needed is a brilliant place to be in. And if we don't need him we will probably double our money given how he will develop.

Credit to Hughes for this one.

To be honest I really don't give two fucks about this deal, mainly because I think we might be wasting another season of doing nothing by not getting what we need as priority. However, if this guy is as good as we hope then it will be known as a great piece of business, but right now I really don't give a shit about this.

I dont think anyone can look at a deal for a potential world class keeper and long term replacement for Ali in isolation and not be happy.

Problem is signings arent made in a vacuum and the paying public (us) are not stupid. The NEED state for a keeper is 2026 or 2027 the need state for a CB and a DM (and given regression a LB)

Given what we know about the need to balance the books is spending 30m of our premium now on a player that we arguably wont need for 2 years good BUSINESS.....yes maybe, is it a good step towards trophies. Come on.

What happens in 2 years? We identify the Mac and Dom replacements for 2029 and bring them in?

Im a patient man. Im not a stupid one.

If Alisson has said he wants to leave in 2025 or 2026, then the need for a new top goalkeeper is and starts now.
Alisson is contracted to 2027.
The GK market could be an absolute mess or very expencive at that point.

You get a 80 mill quoted GK for 30 mill, only 23 and that position is either sorted or will net a profit.

The Dom and Mac stuff is irrelevant to this discussion, as is the need for a LB/LCB and DM. We need both but that doesnt mean that with shouldnt sign the big lad.
This is about being opportunistic in the transfer market and we’ve gotten a bloody good deal.

If Alisson has said he wants to leave in 2025 or 2026, then the need for a new top goalkeeper is and starts now.
Alisson is contracted to 2027.
The GK market could be an absolute mess or very expencive at that point.

You get a 80 mill quoted GK for 30 mill, only 23 and that position is either sorted or will net a profit.

The Dom and Mac stuff is irrelevant to this discussion, as is the need for a LB/LCB and DM. We need both but that doesnt mean that with shouldnt sign the big lad.
This is about being opportunistic in the transfer market and we’ve gotten a bloody good deal.
First off we havnt signed him yet. And latest bid is at 34m

Second of all I agree, nothing against signing a player, as long as the other more pressing needs are addressed alongside.

The need for improving the team to compete is not and should never be considered an irrelevancy.

A new keeper out on loan for 2 years does not improve this team.
This team that finished 3rd with some ongoing frailties.

As ive said a few times. We still have time.

The Graven-likeanewsigning bullshit isnt washing with me though.

Isn't succession planning bringing a new shiny player in and selling the person he's replacing? Or are we letting a £30 million(?) asset leave on a free in a couple of years?

Yeah I generally agree with this. Kinda feel sorry for the young GKs we've accumulated over the years as Klopp & team tried to build a group to find the Ali succession plan. However - if the opportunity to pick up someone who could very quickly become one of the best in the world arises, why wouldn't you take it.

I wouldn't be surprised if we could get similar fee for Kelleher if/when we decide to cash in.

Back
Top Bottom