• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

João Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
“Prior to joining Wolves, Gomes expressed his craving to play in Europe's premier club competition, though he cited Liverpool as a club he dreamt of playing for.

Speaking in the summer of 2022, Gomes, as quoted by ESPN Brazil, said: "Liverpool is a team I would play for. I have the greatest desire to play. Playing in the Champions League is my biggest dream and that of my family, my biggest dream in football."

============

Looks like us, United, Bayern and a few other clubs are seriously interested in him and Wolves are quoting £60M. Exactly the type of player I was talking about in other threads - a defensive pitbull at #8, but with top-level technique. An absolute no-brainer of a signing if we can win the competition for him.

View: https://youtu.be/MfW5tSmGGAY?si=anUL4GDO-gtFusvM

View: https://youtu.be/0Yl3DYiirWs?si=F8cZDoWZLw6N5ULv

View: https://youtu.be/oxnZLNItxc8?si=dsZiFTcMS_bWcMuQ

Would love to sign him, and as I said in the other thread this feels like a typical us signing.

Says a lot that I have absolutely no idea who this is however

Yes
Would love to sign him, and as I said in the other thread this feels like a typical us signing.

Yes, if by 'us signing' you meant "we scouted him since 2022 but decided to let Wolves sign him for £15m and now one year later we are going to bid three times that to sign him from Wolves"

Yes

Yes, if by 'us signing' you meant "we scouted him since 2022 but decided to let Wolves sign him for £15m and now one year later we are going to bid three times that to sign him from Wolves"

No, in terms of its a player that is 23 and playing for a lower placed club (were he has proved himself) and now ready to make the next step.

But yes, should have signed him in 2022.

It was inevitable really, once we missed our chance to sign him for 15m a couple years ago that something like this would come around. Wolves have just sold Kilman for 40m so highly unlikely they're going to want to lose another key player and will probably demand at least 4x the price they paid if they are to.

Typical Liverpool FC always late to the party on these kind of deals. Begged to join us despite the noise he was making and we still had the nerve to turn our back.

Our model hinges on players achieving a specified number of games by a defined age and proving themselves proficient at a high level (such as international or Champions League). This approach is supplemented by actively pursuing the top prospects aged 15, 16, and 17 from other academies. It needs acknowledgement that many scouted prospects may not neatly fit into either of these frameworks. In such instances, we prioritise allowing clubs like Brighton, Wolves, and other development-focused teams, to assume the risk of promoting these players to the Premier League. This strategy allows them to develop in an environment that offers guaranteed playing time and reduced pressure. We shouldn't automatically assume 'inaction' is a mistake. Often it's by design. Long-term the savings made/money recouped on academy prospects like Elliott, Bajectic, Nyoni, Kelleher, Jones, etc, will cover what many would consider a premium on signing a more proven, established but still young footballer for the first team (Szobo, Mac Allister, etc. If you sign players in the middle of these frameworks it can block off the development of the younger players coming through and then there isn't the money to sign the more established player we wanted, or we now need two players because a young player hasn't come through as anticipated, etc. Some gap between these frameworks does make some sense, even if it means there is some frustration that players could have obtained cheaper. There's no perfect approach to transfer recruitment, especially on one with fewer resources than some rivals, but it's fair enough to say we have been getting decent bang for our buck in results in recent years, and the club know what they're doing.

As for Gomes, he looks like a smart signing. I'd be interested in the data, but he could well be better than Endo already with years and years on his side. That's what we need to be looking for.

I don't particularly remember Gomes from Wolves but from those YT vids he doesn't look like a 6 or DM. Nothing like Endo. More like a box to box 8, often ahead of the midfield.

I don't particularly remember Gomes from Wolves but from those YT vids he doesn't look like a 6 or DM Nothing like Endo. More like a box to box 8, often ahead of the midfield.

Exactly. Although I think he’s powerful and well-rounded enough he can play as #6 too. But at present he is more of a roaming destroyer.

I think Joao Gomes fits us much better than Ugarte, and we also know that he has adapted to the league.

Someone pull up Endo's stats. I think he is severely underrated in one aspect of what he does; passing it forward and breaking the lines.

Neither Hendo, Fab or Gini does as well as him and Macca in making the forward passes from midfield.

Last season was the best I had seen from our midfield in forward passes, breaking the line and being an overall threat, even when compared against our title winning season. If we had more reliable forwards, we would have won the league easily.

Ultimately, if this Joao fella is not an improvement on Endo's passing game already, then there is little point in spending what we know will be big money to get him here.

Someone pull up Endo's stats. I think he is severely overrated in one aspect of what he does; passing it forward and breaking the lines.

Neither Hendo, Fab or Gini does as well as him and Macca in making the forward passes from midfield.

Last season was the best I had seen from our midfield in forward passes, breaking the line and being an overall threat, even when compared against our title winning season. If we had more reliable forwards, we would have won the league easily.

Ultimately, if this Joao fella is not an improvement on Endo's passing game already, then there is little point in spending what we know will be big money to get him here.
You mean underrated?

Someone pull up Endo's stats. I think he is severely underrated in one aspect of what he does; passing it forward and breaking the lines.

Joao Gomes and Endo had the same amount of progressive passes last season, with 101. Endo had more attempts per game and in general made 25 more passing attempts then Joao Gomes per game.

Given they play for two very different set ups both tactically and quality wise I'm not sure its a good indicator to use.
Endo will obviously have much more of the ball during games and plays with much more quality around him.

Joao Gomes actually makes more tackles and blocks, but Endo is quite superior in the air and winning headed duels.

In an ideal World our new midfielder would be of the same size and stature as Rodri or Declan Rice for the added physicality. But I guess you cant get everything.

Always a bit surprised when people are so eager to replace Endo when he was definitely in our top three players last season and our best DM since forever.

Always a bit surprised when people are so eager to replace Endo when he was definitely in our top three players last season and our best DM since forever.
Just getting old init. Future planning

I totally get that but i don't get the assumption that whoever we get will be better right now.

I totally get that but i don't get the assumption that whoever we get will be better right now.
Always the gamble though. Can't stand still all together. Who's to say we won't get someone in, this season is 75% endo 25% new guy, then next season it's 50/50 split, then we're ready for when endo is 34 and legs are going. it's forever our issue, we cannot future plan

Like I say I'm not on about that, I just don't think it's an area we'll get an upgrade that will win us the title this season. Last season we wasted so many chances, so I'd say that's the main area we could improve. VVD also needs replacing but I doubt anyone we buy will make us better. A decent LB would.

If our first choice players to cover any position long-term become available, or if we have to swoop to stop them going elsewhere, then we should absolutely do those deals. But I'm happy to persist with Endo and Virgil if not, but I do think we need to manage their minutes so they're not goosed come the sharp end of the season, as Virgil was last year, understandably so given how much football he played.
I agree with what seems to be the consensus here that there are other positions that are higher priority. We can make use of our ageing players by managing their minutes and through the style of play (which may mean less emphasis on the high line in Virgil's case).

i wouldn’t say replace, as such, but I don’t see Endo going a whole season playing every match and relying on Badger’s fitness would be risky.

I’d see it more as a “Robbo” signing - someone we can spend a good few months integrating while Endo continues his good work, so that by the business end of the season we have 2 DM’s in competition with a youngster as backup.

Whether Gomes is tge one or not, I don’t know - he’s certainly not going to be as cheap as a “Robbo”.

Like I say I'm not on about that, I just don't think it's an area we'll get an upgrade that will win us the title this season. Last season we wasted so many chances, so I'd say that's the main area we could improve. VVD also needs replacing but I doubt anyone we buy will make us better. A decent LB would.
I do agree with you on that front. The chances thing i would have to say we're not going to resolve. We're not going to buy a 20 a season striker, nor a winger who sets up that many. We're probably looking at the same front line, with maybe gakpo being the consistent starter on the left, with jota/nunez central and salah right. I do hope however that we see more from our midfielders. Macca was great, but really it's the like of szob, (thought it hurts me to say it) Elliott and jones who needed to step up a bit more on the goal scoring part. IF we can somehow keep jota fit we'd probably score more than last season.

Hard to know however what we'll target as none of us really know yet how slot will set up with us.

Joao Gomes and Endo had the same amount of progressive passes last season, with 101. Endo had more attempts per game and in general made 25 more passing attempts then Joao Gomes per game.

Given they play for two very different set ups both tactically and quality wise I'm not sure its a good indicator to use.
Endo will obviously have much more of the ball during games and plays with much more quality around him.

Joao Gomes actually makes more tackles and blocks, but Endo is quite superior in the air and winning headed duels.

In an ideal World our new midfielder would be of the same size and stature as Rodri or Declan Rice for the added physicality. But I guess you cant get everything.

I think Endo also tends to receive the ball a bit deeper than Gomes, so his progressive pass numbers should be superior. Gomes is more press-resistant and you can trust him to receive the ball higher up the pitch, a bit like Gini.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom