• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Different Gravy

As an aside, Slot frequently praises Jürgen and the state in which he left things here. It's clear that Slot is hugely grateful not only for Jürgen's legacy but for the generous way Jürgen handed over to him. My bet is that's contributed big time to the smoothness of the transition.

As for Gravy, when the season started I thought it was just a matter of time before we moved him on. Just goes to show you never know what's over the next hill.

Question is would this have happened if Klopp stuck around?

Most people learn to walk first before they make the next step up to run. Pretty sure Superman didn't immediately fly when he came out of the womb.

Some do it quicker, some slower. Some had to go through the furnace first for that gold to be purified.

Nunez, however........well he's still a very expensive baby learning the offside rule.

Most people learn to walk first before they make the next step up to run. Pretty sure Superman didn't immediately fly when he came out of the womb.

Some do it quicker, some slower. Some had to go through the furnace first for that gold to be purified.

Nunez, however........well he's still a very expensive baby learning the offside rule.
Nunez will never become the striker we need. It's his third season and it's pretty evident now that we paid nearly £100 mill for a player in the Welbeck, Mateta, Woods tier of strikers.

Question is would this have happened if Klopp stuck around?
Hard to tell, but slot credits klopp with his development off the ball. Said he was surprised by how he was as he only knew the ajax version of gravenberch. Plus shouldn't we really credit zubimendi for his development, as he's only playing this role because he turned us down thank god. Zubimendi looks so lightweight.

No. Credit where it's really due - Slot for working out a smart way forward for the player and Gravy himself for knuckling down (in a way many of us, me included, wondered if he had in him) and making it work. I like what little I've seen of Zubimendi and, if his heart had been in it, I think that transfer could well have worked, but it's only marginally relevant (if at all) to the Gravy situation.

Nunez will never become the striker we need. It's his third season and it's pretty evident now that we paid nearly £100 mill for a player in the Welbeck, Mateta, Woods tier of strikers.

Sorry but i disagree. Nobody at this level, would throw a 100M on a noob, without doing extensive homework on the player first. Clearly, many saw something special in Nunez, and these aren't your fantasy league experts either. Our staff are of the highest level, so clearly they know something most of us don't.

The difference i suspect is in the head and maturity.

Gravvy whom most, incl. me, took the piss last season, never once moaned or threw a strop, instead he seems to be popular in the dressing room, whenever i watch the club's videos, always smiling and being cheerful. Even when he hardly gets game time. That's the kind of attitude that most managers/coaches love. Humble, hardworking, rarely complains, and willing to buckle down and learn and improve one's game. Nobody can diss that.

Nunez, on the other hand, thinks the world's out to get him, feels a sense of injustice and unfair treatment against him, and goes to fight an entire football stadium full of fans. Literally.

It's really not that hard to see what's Nunez's main problem, when you put Gravy and him side by side.

Many have said it in the beginning when he first joined, that maybe he's the sensitive type and needs an arm around him. Well he's had a few seasons of Klopp's hugs. Surely that's enough to have matured him a little. It's pretty obvious when he went full Nunez during Copa, he backslided instead.

The thing is, he's not like a Suarez or a Cantona, where their maverick geniuses allow them to get out of jail free, on the odd occasions they go full mental. Nunez's nowhere near that level yet. But he certainly has shown glimpses that he can get there.

If only someone knows how to get into his head and sort those loose screws out first. I thought Bielsa was that guy, but hmm....still lots of work to be done, i guess.

He's definitely no Welbeck or Mateta. The last goal he scored proves that, and it wasn't a fluke.

Sorry but i disagree. Nobody at this level, would throw a 100M on a noob, without doing extensive homework on the player first. Clearly, many saw something special in Nunez, and these aren't your fantasy league experts either. Our staff are of the highest level, so clearly they know something most of us don't.

Gravvy whom most, incl. me, took the piss last season, never once moaned or threw a strop, instead he seems to be popular in the dressing room, whenever i watch the club's videos, always smiling and cheerful. Even when he hardly gets game time. That's the kind of attitude that most managers/coaches love. Humble, hardworking, rarely complains, and willing to buckle down and learn and improve one's game. Nobody can diss that.

Nunez, on the other hand, thinks the world's out to get him, feels a sense of injustice and unfair treatment against him, and goes to fight an entire football stadium full of fans. Literally.

It's really not that hard to see what's Nunez's main problem, when you put Gravy and him side by side.

Many have said it in the beginning when he first joined, that maybe he's the sensitive type and needs an arm around him. Well he's had a few seasons of Klopp's hugs. Surely that's enough to have matured him a little. It's pretty obvious when he went full Nunez during Copa, he backslided instead.

The thing is, he's not like a Suarez or a Cantona, where their maverick geniuses allow them to get out of jail free, on the odd occasions they go full mental. Nunez's nowhere near that level yet. But he certainly has shown glimpses that he can get there.

If only someone knows how to get into his head and sort those loose screws out first. I thought Bielsa was that guy, but hmm....still lots of work to be done, i guess.

He's definitely no Welbeck or Mateta. The last goal he scored proves that, and it wasn't a fluke.

I was tempted to just say excuses, excuses... but you seem to have deep insight into the psyche of our players and your finger on the pulse of what's going in both in the Liverpool and the international teams dressing rooms, so who knows!

But yeah, Steve McManaman was on about him being young and not knowing the language during the match yesterday.

The guy is 25, this is third year at Liverpool. A lot of work to be done?

Maybe by the time he gets his testimonial, we'll all be able to finally see the pay off for all that extensive homework.

Gravvy whom most, incl. me, took the piss last season, never once moaned or threw a strop, instead he seems to be popular in the dressing room, whenever i watch the club's videos, always smiling and being cheerful. Even when he hardly gets game time. That's the kind of attitude that most managers/coaches love. Humble, hardworking, rarely complains, and willing to buckle down and learn and improve one's game. Nobody can diss that.

I think @keniget basically covered what I was going to reply.
Come on it's his third season...

Brilliant performance again last night. I doubt Klopp would have considered playing Gravenberch as a number six. Perhaps he could have tried him there instead of Mac Allister, but Gravenberch hasn't really shown much defensive awareness or work rate when used as an eight. Plus, Klopp hasn't been focusing as much on a possession-based style, so there are several reasons why it may not have been an option. The club deserves praise for seeing the potential and value in the signing and Slot deserves huge credit for transforming a player who struggled at two big clubs into one of the top performers in Europe. The breakout of Gravenberch is the defining story of the season so far

After 2 years as a bit-part player I just hope his body can cope with the demands we need from him.

As for Gravy, when the season started I thought it was just a matter of time before we moved him on. Just goes to show you never know what's over the next hill.
This is not "the way". What you should say was "I have been saying for the last 12 months that he would bed in & become a world beater in his second season,. I always had faith". The veracity of this statement is irrelevant to "the way"

As an aside, Slot frequently praises Jürgen and the state in which he left things here. It's clear that Slot is hugely grateful not only for Jürgen's legacy but for the generous way Jürgen handed over to him. My bet is that's contributed big time to the smoothness of the transition.

I was going to say just this. Lovely to see the nod to Klopp. Something I doubt the likes of Rodgers would have done.

Yeah, Kloppo singing a song for Arne, and putting so much good Karma into the transition. I mean, it's highly unusual. He really is an amazing guy, it would be easy to take all his goodness for granted.

And Yes JJ, I really presumed RG was just another on the conveyor belt of players who came in to much fanfare, but meh. A bit like I feel about Sboz now.

As an aside, my wife is a very modest person, but a very good person. She manages people, as people. Treats them well, mentors them, looks out for them because she cares - it's who she is. Recently it was revealed that people are asking to transfer in and work for her. She was bowled over. Massive compliment. Quickly forgotten of course, but it reminds me of Kloppo. It's good to give a F about people. Makes the world a happier place.

Back
Top Bottom