• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Search for a new #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kane is one of the best around so is a very different proposition to some of the names mentioned in this thread who are a tier (or two) below him.

That said, I don't think there is any point trying to get a player like that right now. Given that we are in transition it's better to get a player that can develop with the team rather than one who will be done by the time we're (hopefully) looking for that extra bit of quality to take us all the way.
The Euros have shown up his limitations - incapable of playing the lone 9 on the shoulder since whatever pace he had has gone.

The Euros have shown up his limitations - incapable of playing the lone 9 on the shoulder since whatever pace he had has gone.
Agreed. Splashing £100 million on someone who may only have 18 months left in them is short sighted or a massive gamble.

Weren't we in the dev phase when Van Dijk was signed?

It wouldn't be unreasonable to argue that a midfielder / striker with quality comparable to what we got with Alisson and VDV would see us instantly level up. Getting great players will always do that... however, still think we had a much more settled team back then for those two to slot into.

True he was more proven
It's going to make a huge difference to our appeal to players. We're now relying on the lure of Liverpool, and hoping that Arne can impress them when he speaks to them. Back then it was "Do you want to play for Klopp?", 5 minutes of banter and hugs with the big man and the response was "Sort the details out with my agent, where do I sign?". We're a harder sell now, and if we go into a few years of transition then we'll become an in-between club again, rather than a destination, and all these players will want release clauses for Madrid and the likes.

I would still sign Toney if the price was in anyway reasonable. We cannot wait long for a new goal scorer to emerge. We also need someone who is able to hold the ball up and feed others, especially if Gakpo goes back to the LW, which is likely. Signing Toney provides us with a reliable source of goals as Salah ages and we figure out what to do with Nunez, Jota, Diaz and whatever else. It doesn't have to be Toney, but if we are aiming to win a title when Salah, VVD, and Alisson are at the club, which we should, then signing an expensive but reliable source of goals should not be sniffed at.

Which forwards are there between 26-29 that could come in and make an instant impact? There arent many

I would still sign Toney if the price was in anyway reasonable. We cannot wait long for a new goal scorer to emerge. We also need someone who is able to hold the ball up and feed others, especially if Gakpo goes back to the LW, which is likely. Signing Toney provides us with a reliable source of goals as Salah ages and we figure out what to do with Nunez, Jota, Diaz and whatever else. It doesn't have to be Toney, but if we are aiming to win a title when Salah, VVD, and Alisson are at the club, which we should, then signing an expensive but reliable source of goals should not be sniffed at.

Toney doesnt really suit us though

I mean just look at the lightning bolt veins sticking out the side of his face there, this guy is ALL right for us.

000_33E689J.jpg

Lauturo Martinez seems to play better in a front two. Doubt he’s suited for us.

Guirasshy is going to Dortmund. But they found some injury they have to check during his medical.

It's going to make a huge difference to our appeal to players. We're now relying on the lure of Liverpool, and hoping that Arne can impress them when he speaks to them. Back then it was "Do you want to play for Klopp?", 5 minutes of banter and hugs with the big man and the response was "Sort the details out with my agent, where do I sign?". We're a harder sell now, and if we go into a few years of transition then we'll become an in-between club again, rather than a destination, and all these players will want release clauses for Madrid and the likes.
We need to find the player we believe can make that breakthrough. It should be an easy sell.

Do you want Champion’s League footy? A title challenging side?

Let’s face it, he’s going to get loads of games too. Nunez - banned. Jota - perma crock. Diaz - sold. Gakpo - a fanny. Salah - ancient.

We probably need a new striker. Get to work.
We have so many FWDs including Fab C and Danns adding another with out selling and shifting a few seems nonsensical.
How many games did we fail to score?
How many games did we give a way lead?
Last season why did we maintain a highline when we were ahead?
I believe there are solutions in the squad. if I was recruiting, I would be looking at defence and CDM but not before i have seen what Morton and Steph can do.
Dom and Mac should be contributing 5-8 goals each with just as many assists. Mac delivered, Dom did not. Those two should be getting us 20-30 GAs combined.
I reckon if we tweak our style where we are more compact once we have a lead, we will win more games.
I am excited going into preseason just to see how well the like of Danns, Fab C, Morton, Steph and Sepp do

If Diaz stays or if we sell him and bring in Claire Baulding’s lovechild - I’d expect Gakpo to share the load through the middle with Jota.

i do think we should bring in another forward that’s capable of playing in a few forward positions, though.

That’s if Nunez either receives a lengthy ban or we get rid.

Sign that kid Jayden Danns and give him time this season..

All jokes aside, if we don't sign 1-2 natural goal scorers, I'll be very disappointed in the new management. It's quite clear we have a problem, and if they can't see it.. imagine what happens when Slots team (in all likelihood) creates LESS chances that Klopp's chaotic approach

Only seen a total of 45+ mins of Euros so far and only one player has caught my eye - Dani Olmo. SIGN HIM UP NOW !

Cole Palmer's another nutter that i kinda like, only cos he's a psychopath but that ship's sailed, so Dani Olmo it is.

Only seen a total of 45+ mins of Euros so far and only one player has caught my eye - Dani Olmo. SIGN HIM UP NOW !

Cole Palmer's another nutter that i kinda like, only cos he's a psychopath but that ship's sailed, so Dani Olmo it is.

Shame he is so extremely injury prone. Missed 19+ games each of the last three seasons.

Olmo is pretty much a Szoboszlai type, no? We have to trust in the guy we bought, even though Olmo will probably win player of the tournament.

No for me, due to the injuries. We don't have the budget to absorb that kind of risk when we already have Jota on board, an aging Mo, and a potentially-suspended Darwin.

If Spain win tonight, I wouldn't be surprised to see lamal win player of the tournament

If England win, I'm half expecting it to be rice

Neither should win it mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom