• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match Arsenal (A) - FA Cup - Sunday 16:30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arteta will field a strong team, considering their recent results in the league.

He's played his strongest XI in the league and CL pretty much all season long (except their last CL game) so maybe it'll be something like how they lined up at PSV with Ramsdale, Kiwior, Cedric, Trossard, Smith-Rowe, Jorginho, Nelson and Nketiah coming in.

He's played his strongest XI in the league and CL pretty much all season long (except their last CL game) so maybe it'll be something like how they lined up at PSV with Ramsdale, Kiwior, Cedric, Trossard, Smith-Rowe, Jorginho, Nelson and Nketiah coming in.
Their next game is almost two weeks later. There's no reason for Arteta to rotate the squad and risk getting knocked out. Their fan base would be even more up in arms than they usually are.

Last edited:

Good memories and bad.

That challenge on Suarez by Ox
Carragher defending
Dudek goalkeeping
Sturridge missing several sitters

Football London

Despite the tough tie, Arteta is expected to rotate his side heavily.

Hale Enders Reiss Nelson and Emile Smith Rowe could also get a chance to shine. Smith Rowe is yet to start a match since sustaining a knee injury in November's 5-0 win over Sheffield United. Nelson on the other hand has not started in the Premier League since project restart.

Both could give the likes of Martin Odegaard, Bukayo Saka or Gabriel Martinelli a rest on the day against Liverpool. The latter two have come in for criticism recently for their finishing ability in front of goal and have looked as though they could use a break.

One other area where Arteta may look to rotate is the defence. The Spaniard's hand may actually be forced somewhat by circumstance. Takehiro Tomiyasu will join up with the Japan squad for the Asian Cup on Friday, making him unavailable for the game. Oleksandr Zinchenko meanwhile has a calf problem that saw him miss the New Year's Eve defeat to Fulham, and Jurrien Timber has been out since the start of the season with an ACL injury.

This could open up a space in the squad for a young full-back. Arsenal are lucky enough to have two highly-rated prospects coming through the academy right now in these positions. Lino Sousa is a superb left-back who has represented England at youth level, while Reuell Walters is another England youth international who can play anywhere across the backline.

Both have played in pre-season friendlies for Arsenal, but are yet to make their senior debuts for the club. The pair were among the three youngsters who travelled to Eindhoven for the Champions League clash with PSV alongside Ethan Nwaneri, but failed to get off the bench.

Arteta may feel that a home FA Cup tie is the right context to give one of Walters or Sousa their debut. He has shown a willingness to trust youth in the cup in the past, giving Charlie Patino his full debut at the stage at Nottingham Forest two seasons ago.

While the option of bringing in Cedric may be tempting, the fact that Ben White is managing a knee problem and Jakub Kiwior has failed to fully convince at left-back may convince Arteta to give one of Walters or Sousa a chance. Both are fantastic prospects, and with defensive numbers light, it may be the perfect chance to give them a try before Arsenal travel off to a mid-season training camp in Dubai.

Points from Klopp's presser;

- Szobo small hamstring problem, out for Sunday and Fulham then will be reassessed.
- Not worried about losing Endo and Mo, jokes about not wishing them luck and going out in the group stage.
- Made sense to bring Beck back due to injuries.
- Stressed the desire to get through to the next round, sees both the Arsenal and Fulham games being equally important and cryptically hinted there would be minimal rotation.
- January a better month than December as far as scheduling goes (bit of a strange question tbh) and would hate a replay

I'm glad that football league has decided to remove the two-legged semi finals in the cup but it would have been convenient if it was during this season considering the AFCON and Asian cup.

I love the FA cup but the last thing we need is a replay against Arsenal. If that happens I wouldn't mind if Klopp plays the kids.

We should field a full strength team even though we have semi-final clash with fulham. We then have 11 days to recover.
CJ cannot play both games.
------------------- Ali-------------------
Trent----Konate----VVD---- Gomez
----------Grav------Ali Mac---------
----------------Elliott-------------------
Diaz----------Nunez-------------Gakpo

We should field a full strength team even though we have semi-final clash with fulham. We then have 11 days to recover.

Yes agree totally with that setup, but we are not going to play our main players for that. Midfield and Front agree with you, backline - no way.

Yes agree totally with that setup, but we are not going to play our main players for that. Midfield and Front agree with you, backline - no way.
Yeah, Bradley and/or Beck will have a role to play either against Arsenal or Fulham.
Quansah will definitely start one of the games.

I'm not convinced we have the squad to go on a lengthy FA Cup run without some compromise. If we stuck out a mixed team and got soundly beaten it wouldn't be the end of the world. Enough is going on with the League Cup, UEFA, and title race, especially when the AFCON/Asia Cup is factored in.

In short I'm not against throwing some kids into this one.

Nice ! I think we'll see two weakened teams for this with all the chatter surrounding Arsenal's youngsters getting game time. And that image above just underlines it.

I'm not convinced we have the squad to go on a lengthy FA Cup run without some compromise. If we stuck out a mixed team and got soundly beaten it wouldn't be the end of the world. Enough is going on with the League Cup, UEFA, and title race, especially when the AFCON/Asia Cup is factored in.

In short I'm not against throwing some kids into this one.
We can do the minor Quad!

AFC always start off with a huge blast that lasts 20mins. We should try to absorb their attack and try to counter them

I think Arse will go with a strong team with their big break to the next league game. Unfortunately this could force Klopp to do similar, not risking a heavy defeat on squad players and youngsters.

Does it matter? He probably wouldn't have played anyway. He'll be ready for Fulham.

You know who’s not in that lineup though don’t you.

Hint - he’s a midfielder.

Also - we’ve not set up like that this season - and we won’t in this game.

I fancy Mac A in the 6 with Curtis & Gravy as the double 8’s and Harvey replacing Mo.

At some point Jota comes on for, probably Gravy, goes into the frontline and Harvey moves back into the right 8.

That’d be my guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom