• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Gomez situation

First of all, there are reports of us wanting Guehi and the ballpark price to get him is looking like 75-85-ish, not 20, 30 or 40m. That is realistically the price we will pay if we want him. I am not going to argue with you on whether he is the right player or not. I think he is a good player, premiership proven and is better than Q and Konate so he improves us immediately if the club thinks he is the right fit.

And why does the player replacing Gomez have to be a utility player? We have Bradley and Tsimi.

If Gomez is going, with Trent, Curtis, Harvey, Morton unsure of their future. The english quota is coming down fast.

If you see Guehi at 85m alone of course it is an alarming amount. Gomez at 45m is equally overpriced. But at a 30-40m spread to get a first team CB who is 24 is not that bad a deal. Virgil needs replacing next season anyway. We are definitely paying at least 30-40m to get a CB next season so why not now?

Well then we shouldn’t be in for him because he’s priced as a generational talent when he’s a good squad option.

He’s not better than Konate - what he is, is not as injury prone. And he’d want to better than the 21 yo kid we have coming through the ranks / and not just a little bit.

Isn’t he a right footed left sided CB? That right there is reason enough to question the merit of his transfer. He’s also just 6 ft - Moron will have kittens about him being a midget.

“English quota” isn’t a thing - it’s homegrown and Quansah & Bradley will need squad spots next season. What nonsense is this about Harvey and CJ’s future being “unsure” - we’re 1 game into a season where we’ll play a minimum of 48 games - Harvey & CJ’s futures aren’t in doubt - that’s just being hysterical.

It is a bad deal - we’d be losing a player that can play RB, LB, RCB, LCB & DM and replacing him with a bloke that mainly (but not exclusively) plays LCB.

I don’t understand this “ah but it’s only £45m and Joe Gomez - £25m and Sepp would be a good deal.

It’s wasteful on a player who would not improve us significantly.

Well then we shouldn’t be in for him because he’s priced as a generational talent when he’s a good squad option.

He’s not better than Konate - what he is, is not as injury prone. And he’d want to better than the 21 yo kid we have coming through the ranks / and not just a little bit.

Isn’t he a right footed left sided CB? That right there is reason enough to question the merit of his transfer. He’s also just 6 ft - Moron will have kittens about him being a midget.

“English quota” isn’t a thing - it’s homegrown and Quansah & Bradley will need squad spots next season. What nonsense is this about Harvey and CJ’s future being “unsure” - we’re 1 game into a season where we’ll play a minimum of 48 games - Harvey & CJ’s futures aren’t in doubt - that’s just being hysterical.

It is a bad deal - we’d be losing a player that can play RB, LB, RCB, LCB & DM and replacing him with a bloke that mainly (but not exclusively) plays LCB.

I don’t understand this “ah but it’s only £45m and Joe Gomez - £25m and Sepp would be a good deal.

Agree on the price for Guehi.
Disagree on Jones not being on or close to the choppng block.

OK on Gomez - it doesn't matter if Joe can play those positions : he'll never play at DM again, he's 5th choice CB and has (debateably) 2 LBs and 2 RBs ahead of him. He's the epitome of Jack of all trades master of none and if we can get £35-45m for him that's a big chunk towards a player challenging for a start.

Well put!

Agree on the price for Guehi.
Disagree on Jones not being on or close to the choppng block.

OK on Gomez - it doesn't matter if Joe can play those positions : he'll never play at DM again, he's 5th choice CB and has (debateably) 2 LBs and 2 RBs ahead of him. He's the epitome of Jack of all trades master of none and if we can get £35-45m for him that's a big chunk towards a player challenging for a start.

No issue selling Gomez for £45m (or any player for that matter if they want to go), I just don’t see the point in spaffing nearly double that on a CB that’s ok.

Also - where are you getting your Jones feeling from? Is this based purely on the last game of pre-season and being an un-used sub at the weekend, or is this your opinion that he should be up for the chop rather than him actually being so under Slot?

And that is the key. Guehi is just about adequate. No more.

In fact, I can see Gomez being a more affordable (and better with the ball) player if not fitness-wise for Newcastle.

I am still confused on why we should be too bothered about losing Gomez who doesn't play.

There are 2 players we have been linked to in the press, Guehi - above 65m, Branthwaite - 75m. Both English btw, so is Gordon. I didn't make it up. The point is, you can argue about the prices as much as you want, but if the club continues to be interested and would like to proceed, those are the prices to get them.

Between having no one, to having one of the two, I will go for the latter. I won't know who else is out there for 20m who can turn into a brilliant CB. If we pull something out of the hat, great. But at this moment, Guehi and Branthwaite are the most strongly linked and at said fees.

Gomez should only go if we've signed a top talent who can play at CB or full back

We won't. So ideally he shouldn't go

I am still confused on why we should be too bothered about losing Gomez who doesn't play.

There are 2 players we have been linked to in the press, Guehi - above 65m, Branthwaite - 75m. Both English btw, so is Gordon. I didn't make it up. The point is, you can argue about the prices as much as you want, but if the club continues to be interested and would like to proceed, those are the prices to get them.

Between having no one, to having one of the two, I will go for the latter. I won't know who else is out there for 20m who can turn into a brilliant CB. If we pull something out of the hat, great. But at this moment, Guehi and Branthwaite are the most strongly linked and at said fees.

We’ve been linked to loads of CBs - Inacio, Hincapie, most we could actually make a profit after selling Gomez to sign.

The problem is not in selling Gomez, I repeat, if he wants to go then those season, unlike others, were in a position to extract a reasonable fee.

The problem is then being fleeced a ridiculous amount for his replacement - fine if that replacement is Virgil Van Dijk level - neither Guehi or Braithwaite are.

If you want reasons why we should keep Gomez, not only is he Home Grown, but he’s club trained (important for Europe) and he can slot in across the back 4 - neither Guehi or Braithwaite will be Club Trained or can they provide the breadth of cover Gomez can - so in that sense he’s valuable to us.

Like I said, if he fancies he can nail a starting position and challenge for an England starting position by playing elsewhere (given he’s won everything in the game) - that’s up to him and he can leave.

Otherwise, keep him and forgot letting Palace or Everton fleece us - other teams have rightly turned their noses up.

I’m not convinced by Gordon either, for that matter, but again, I wouldn’t be letting Newcastle fleece us.

I don't really rate Guehi. Don't see what the fuss is about. £65m would be fucking mental.

I'd rather keep Gomez for another year, because I think we need time to work out where Quansah is gonna fit into the squad. If he has another good season then we really don't want to be signing any CB who'll block his progress.

Or maybe we should just re-sign Matip?

It'd be sad to see Gomez now. He seems to be more reliable from an injury perspective (touch wood), is very versatile and has been here for ages.

It'd only make sense to spend big money on a CB this year if the plan is to get rid of VVD next summer and want the [young] understudy to learn the ropes this year.

It'd be sad to see Gomez now. He seems to be more reliable from an injury perspective (touch wood), is very versatile and has been here for ages.

It'd only make sense to spend big money on a CB this year if the plan is to get rid of VVD next summer and want the [young] understudy to learn the ropes this year.
Maybe we just hurt his feelings by pimping him out to Newcastle.

As a makeweight in a deal ideally.
We can still salvage this ridiculous summer
Gordon in
Braithwaite in for Gomez+
A MOTHERFUCKING DM
If he's a makeweight that's fine. Really just want us to get a replacement cb/fullback

Please for the love of God and all things holy...
dont start with the whole "we got Suarez and Carroll" for £60 mill rationale.

Selling Gomez for £35-40m and signing Guehi for £70m (or whatever the hell they bloody want) is not a good deal.

Guehi doesn't make sense. A left-footed CB makes the most sense, so he can play at LCB in the cup competitions and at LB in the league.

If we were to make a signing from the PL, we should go after Murillo. Forest had FFP issues not too long ago - not sure if they still need to sell, but that's a player I'd be happy to splash 40-50 million on.

Please for the love of God and all things holy...
dont start with the whole "we got Suarez and Carroll" for £60 mill rationale.

Selling Gomez for £35-40m and signing Guehi for £70m (or whatever the hell they bloody want) is not a good deal.

Spot on - but it feels like some people are getting desperate for a transfer fix and they’ve entered the mode where they don’t care who it is.

Besides, if we overpay for someone average it’ll give the same people something else to moan about constantly till Christmas.

Spot on - but it feels like some people are getting desperate for a transfer fix and they’ve entered the mode where they don’t care who it is.

Besides, if we overpay for someone average it’ll give the same people something else to moan about constantly till Christmas.
No way, Guehi is barely 6ft tall, qnd lacks the versatility of Gomez and experience, this is a fucked up deal in every way. What happened to the Innacio deal/link ? I want my defenders to be around 6ft2inch or above. This is fucking shit and wont stop me from moaning like a cunt. And Yes I would prefer no transfers rather than this, and why is Gomez so down the pecking order ? He should be used as an alternative to VVD when we rest him and play with Konate/Q.

No way, Guehi is barely 6ft tall, qnd lacks the versatility of Gomez and experience, this is a fucked up deal in every way. What happened to the Innacio deal/link ? I want my defenders to be around 6ft2inch or above. This is fucking shit and wont stop me from moaning like a cunt. And Yes I would prefer no transfers rather than this, and why is Gomez so down the pecking order ? He should be used as an alternative to VVD when we rest him and play with Konate/Q.

You have achieved the rank of Top Top Red - this is a historic moment!!!

Perfectly argued

Maybe Guehi is our new defensive midfielderr

Dont think we're going after Guehi. Its a fee that doesnt make sense for a player that will be second choice at LCB.
He's also a short arse and not naturally left footed.

As for Gomez. The options are getting fewer as Fulham are signing Andersen and Palace are looking elsewhere appaz.

A makeweight to Newcastle for Gordon would be lovely.

Back
Top Bottom