• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Gomez situation

do we slip in for Guehi now?

No, we’ll buy Fe-King No Wan. Heard Hughes and FSG are big fans.

Seriously though, if we want an upgrade on Gomez as a defensive utility man who can play anywhere accross the back 4 and even #6 if needed, Slot’s old boy Geetruida is the one.

Rumours that Villa and Fulham had their bids accepted and now it’s up to Gomez…

The only regret is the thread title - “Joe Go” was much better.
I can see him doing well at Villa, unless he wants to goto London, think he was originally on Charltons books right ?

I would be sad and nervous to lose him given he is a PL quality player accross the entire back line and a good leader of the back line with experience in terms of age and the number of competions.

do we slip in for Guehi now?
I'm not sure. I mean Guehi has been quality for a two years now, is he the type to come and sit on the bench?
Ideally we'd go for a younger player, maybe someone who can play as a left back too.

I'm not sure. I mean Guehi has been quality for a two years now, is he the type to come and sit on the bench?
Ideally we'd go for a younger player, maybe someone who can play as a left back too.
No dont want Guehi. My biggest concern is if VVD dont sign an extension, he has 2 years left but I cannot see anyone in world football who is as commanding a presence as our captain in that backline. I will be proper upset if he dont sign an extension.

No dont want Guehi. My biggest concern is if VVD dont sign an extension, he has 2 years left but I cannot see anyone in world football who is as commanding a presence as our captain in that backline. I will be proper upset if he dont sign an extension.
If we through some miracle manage to get Bastoni from Inter, it'll put my mind to ease

I don't quite understand this transfer. He's a brilliant player, homegrown, and can cover multiple positions. He was the starting central defender when we won the league. He lost his way a bit after that due to injuries, but he is still young enough for a central defender.

Given the fact that we are incapable of signing one player, what is the rush to sell him?

We should have done more of such transfers before. Ox, Naby, Thiago, Curtis, Gomez, Tsimi... when a player doesn't play enough for 2-3 seasons, there is almost no chance they will come good unless they are U21. They need to be replaced with players who could challenge the starter. 3 of the above went off on a free, each with a large monthly pay package. It's a huge waste of money for loyalty which we don't actually owe to any of these players.

We need to be smarter about our transfers considering we are skint AF.

I don't quite understand this transfer. He's a brilliant player, homegrown, and can cover multiple positions. He was the starting central defender when we won the league. He lost his way a bit after that due to injuries, but he is still young enough for a central defender.

Given the fact that we are incapable of signing one player, what is the rush to sell him?
Sounds like it’s pushing for it!

At the beginning of
We should have done more of such transfers before. Ox, Naby, Thiago, Curtis, Gomez, Tsimi... when a player doesn't play enough for 2-3 seasons, there is almost no chance they will come good unless they are U21. They need to be replaced with players who could challenge the starter. 3 of the above went off on a free, each with a large monthly pay package. It's a huge waste of money for loyalty which we don't actually owe to any of these players.

We need to be smarter about our transfers considering we are skint AF.

Gomez doesn't deserve to be put in the same group as others. He is the perfect player for the squad. He can play multiple positions to a high level and did not push for a move until this team took over. He has played his way back to form after a series of injuries. And when is on song, he is a starter for a team that can win the PL.

Has Arne Slott solved injuries? Nobody is going to get injured or tired ever?

We are not skint AF. We are obsessed with value AF or obsessed with appearing clever AF or paralyzed with indecision AF.

At this rate, our CD options will be Konate, Quansah, and Phillips by the start of the next season.

At the beginning of

Gomez doesn't deserve to be put in the same group as others. He is the perfect player for the squad. He can play multiple positions to a high level and did not push for a move until this team took over. He has played his way back to form after a series of injuries. And when is on song, he is a starter for a team that can win the PL.

Has Arne Slott solved injuries? Nobody is going to get injured or tired ever?

We are not skint AF. We are obsessed with value AF or obsessed with appearing clever AF or paralyzed with indecision AF.

At this rate, our CD options will be Konate, Quansah, and Phillips by the start of the next season.
He has no fixed position in the squad. Where is he going to play if no one gets injured? If we want a utility squad player to cover for injuries we should have just kept Milly, but even Milly doesn't want the role anymore.

The way I am seeing it, if we keep him he is going the same way as Ox, in and out of the team, no fixed position, and eventually leaving on a free when he is 29/30.

Or we can sell him now at his highest value and bring in someone whom we have a concrete plan for improving the first team.

I think it’s a basic - if you want to leave “cheerio” otherwise, if you’re not in the starting XI then you knuckle down and give the manager no reason why you shouldn’t be in the squad.

We’re not a bunch of cashed up Mercs with fat under the table contracts like Harmony XI, or a bunch of thugs looking for a fight like Chaucers Pilgrims, or a bunch of homeless deros that accidentally wandered in to the wrong stadium like Prepare4aHumping FC!!!

Footballing wise it makes sense to keep Gomez, but he's done more than enough for the club to honour his wishes for a fresh start and be a first team regular elsewhere.

The club will need a new defender, particularly one that can cover the left side. If that's not happening then it's dumb to lose him.

He has no fixed position in the squad. Where is he going to play if no one gets injured?

Or we can sell him now at his highest value and bring in someone whom we have a concrete plan for improving the first team.

Why are we assuming there will be no injuries this season?

No issues with selling if we have a concrete plan for improving the first team. Our inability to land a signing is what worries me. Why keep on selling when we are unable to land our targets?

No issues with selling if we have a concrete plan for improving the first team. Our inability to land a signing is what worries me. Why keep on selling when we are unable to land our targets?
I'd let the transfer season play out before becoming all indignant 😉

Slot has said we're still in the hunt - hopefully it's a LB and a CB (if the whinge departs).

I'd let the transfer season play out before becoming all indignant 😉

Slot has said we're still in the hunt - hopefully it's a LB and a CB (if the whinge departs).
@Frogfish - the waiting and watching others sign, even those that are barely a PL club are spending like big clubs. I have spent more on my 15th wedding anniversary than our club...not hard to beat because our outgoings is zero.

@Frogfish - the waiting and watching others sign, even those that are barely a PL club are spending like big clubs. I have spent more on my 15th wedding anniversary than our club...not hard to beat because our outgoings is zero.
Mate you are one of the worst offenders! Tearing your hair out and pissing off of motorway pedestrian bridges at all the Audi drivers.

Is Gomez the only player left in the squad? We have Bradley, Tsimi, SVDB, Q, Phillips for cover.
We are not in a position to keep a 45m player just to cover for injuries.

All moot anyway since the latest reports seemed to suggest Slot doesn't rate him. So that's that.

Is Gomez the only player left in the squad? We have Bradley, Tsimi, SVDB, Q, Phillips for cover.
We are not in a position to keep a 45m player just to cover for injuries.

All moot anyway since the latest reports seemed to suggest Slot doesn't rate him. So that's that.
The problem is that VDB also wants to leave.
Meaning we're left with Philips being 4th choice.

The problem is that VDB also wants to leave.
Meaning we're left with Philips being 4th choice.
I am not sure if the Guehi link is legit...
But if we managed to get VDB and Gomez out for 65m, and Guehi in for 85m or so, it could be a good upgrade.
We will have Guehi, Q, VVD, Konate, Phillips.

I think we need another good CB for the first team.

But if we managed to get VDB and Gomez out for 65m, and Guehi in for 85m or so, it could be a good upgrade.

I like Guehi but I don't think we're interested in him.
The window shuts on August 31st so we:re entering "put up or shut up" territory right now.

We won't start the new season decimated. I predict that a few players will have to stick around until January because its going to be extremely difficult to get a replacement now.

Guehi for £85m or so would be madness.

Back
Top Bottom