• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The squad situation

Our issue is quality not quantity
I wouldn't mind selling Endo in Jan and recalling Bajcetic, if possible. I don't think we have any good options for the Macca/Gravy role.
Or check with Zubidoobi if he still wants to come.

Batcall to @StevieM

Before he gets here, how many did we register last year? Of those youths we sold, how many are of the quality you expect to see at Liverpool? Final question, how many players do the two sides that finished above us last season use during the season?

City registered 21 players, Arsenal 22, Villa 21, Chelsea rather amusingly 22, Utd 22, Spurs 23 & Newcastle 25.

For midfield, we registered Gravvy, Mac A, Slobbers, Curtis, Endo, Morton and Tom Hill, who has never actually played for us, leaving Harvey, Nyoni & McConnell as the U21 midfielders that have played for us.

So, our 22 does include Hill & Jaros - they’re the only ones you’d consider NOT first team players.

Other high profile U21’s include Bradley, Danns and Quansah.

There’s a really good question about how many players you “need” in your squad - I’d say there’s evidence from past that playing fewer players is better because you have a more consistent, settled squad.

It does mean, if we want to add to the squad in January, we have slots available.

I think it’s a risk running with the squad we have, albeit a calculated one - it’s entirely possible that Slot believes his training methodology will result in less injuries - there’s always been some criticism that Klopp’s methodology had some impact to players ability to stay fit - I’ll guess we’ll see with Konate, Jota & CJ as the season progresses.

It could mean we’re lining up business for Jan - but I wouldn’t rely on that.

Now flip it to city. Who are their forwards?

8 for three slots is enough. It’s all on Arne Endo has been sent to the wilderness.
Exactly. I believe city's website has precisely ONE forward, Haaland, listed, because their 8 midfielders includes the likes of Foden, Grealish etc.

I’m not trying to come across as an arsehole, even though I am, but the midfielders City register compared to us could be different. Salah and Diaz could be seen as midfielders as they don’t play up front. We then have Gravy, Soshite/Soboss, Mac, Endo, Elliott, Jones and then on top of that Morton and Nyoini. There we have 8 players in midfield which we could (if fit) play on Wednesday.
I would put it down to different opinions of what we need in a squad, we are top heavy with 6 forwards but light in midfield where Endo not fancied, Jones injury prone and Elliott injured.

I would put it down to different opinions of what we need in a squad, we are top heavy with 6 forwards but light in midfield where Endo not fancied, Jones injury prone and Elliott injured.
Yeah but you're making a strawman argument there. Endo and Jones are both fit to play and Morton and Nyoni available if absolutely required. So we currently have 7 fit midfielders.

Arguably they are not all of the required standard but that remains to be seen.

It is a pretty light squad in certain areas, it's great we have a number of quality u21 players but 19 senior players is 19 senior players, another DM and CB wouldn't have hurt.

Things are going mostly well so far so as it stands we don't have to emphasize too much on it.........but it's September, usually you don't get a full sense of the squad depth until Christmas.

Yeah but you're making a strawman argument there. Endo and Jones are both fit to play and Morton and Nyoni available if absolutely required. So we currently have 7 fit midfielders.

Arguably they are not all of the required standard but that remains to be seen.
A straw man’s argument lol, I’m stating facts with 6 senior midfielders, there are probably other kids you could include to bring the numbers up to 10. Endo is almost unused and Jones is returning from injury.

A straw man’s argument lol, I’m stating facts with 6 senior midfielders, there are probably other kids you could include to bring the numbers up to 10. Endo is almost unused and Jones is returning from injury.Your argument is that Endo hadn't started and Joined us 'returning from injury'.
Your argument is that Endo hasn't started and Jones is 'returning from injury'. So fucking what? They are both fit. Both are good midfielders.

You are trying to exclude them on what grounds exactly? Jones MAY get injured again (but he isn't at present and played well yesterday when he came on) and SLOT doesn't like Endo'? Does that make him a bad midfielder?

No, we have 7 great to very decent midfield options right now.

Your argument is that Endo hasn't started and Jones is 'returning from injury'. So fucking what? They are both fit. Both are good midfielders.

You are trying to exclude them on what grounds exactly? Jones MAY get injured again (but he isn't at present and played well yesterday when he came on) and SLOT doesn't like Endo'? Does that make him a bad midfielder?

No, we have 7 great to very decent midfield options right now.
Jeez you are losing the plot lol, I said we got 6 senior midfielders in our squad but you are trying to make out we have more pure stupidity on your behalf, i said one is injured and another is injury prone but you can’t seem to comprehend that and Endo is being ignored by Slot so match fitness will be a problem.

Jeez you are losing the plot lol, I said we got 6 senior midfielders in our squad but you are trying to make out we have more pure stupidity on your behalf, i said one is injured and another is injury prone but you can’t seem to comprehend that and Endo is being ignored by Slot so match fitness will be a problem.
Trying to walk back your stance. What bollocks.

You were trying to make out like these 3 were hardly worthy of mention and so we are 'light in midfield'. We could improve the quality but we're not light

Trying to walk back your stance. What bollocks.

You were trying to make out like these 3 were hardly worthy of mention and so we are 'light in midfield'. We could improve the quality but we're not light
Come on now you’re made yourself look daft, I hope your not one of them Fsg fans who seem to be on every forum attacking anything Liverpool fans criticise about lack of investment.
Your language also when talking to a old man is not good enough. 😀

Come on now you’re made yourself look daft, I hope your not one of them Fsg fans who seem to be on every forum attacking anything Liverpool fans criticise about lack of investment.
Your language also when talking to a old man is not good enough. 😀
Bet I'm older than you ya tosser! 😜

A move within the Premier League is not an issue
But not all competition can pose a threat to Bayer if those in charge go all out with Matip. The interest of Fulham FC and Everton FC is not a stress factor for the German double winner. For Matip, who could have extended his contract with the Reds, a move within the Premier League is not an option.

------

So he could have stayed?!

Some thoughts after the league cup game:

Yesterday we we're given a chance to see what our so called "backup team" could do. Obviously this team was missing Harvey with Jota deputising, but I think we got a decent picture of how our second team looks.

My verdict?

There's definitely room for improvement.

CB:
I think we're missing a clear third choice defender imo. The successor to Van Dijk, if you will.
Neither Gomez nor Quansah fill me with any confidence. Quansah might get there, but I don't see him and Konate starting together next season if Van Dijk leaves.

LB: Tsimikas is decent player, but he will never be first choice for us. I won't bore you with the details of his game, but he's just too inconsistent.

DM: This isn't exactly news, so I won't expand on it. We need another ball progressing midfielder/ playmaker type like Gravy and Macca. I think this is something we have to fix in January. Either we bring back Bajcetic and hope for the best or sign a new midfielder who can slot in seamlessly (no pun intended).

ST/CF: Just look at Chiesa's reaction, that's all that needs to be said.

View: https://streamable.com/ygriu5

Endo did a job whilst Gravy got a much needed rest. There are games where we could switch them to little impact depending on opposition and who lines up alongside him. Even if needed, we could easily take off Gravy after 60/70 minutes to help protect him.

Left back is a major concern. Robbo isn’t looking like he’s made out of pure irn bru anymore and Tsimikas is extremely erratic. This needs looking at in January.

We do need a CB but that’s a problem for the summer.

Donkey will donkey 90% of the time.

That's teething troubles coming in to a new team. No clue if chiesa shouted, or if Nunez shouted, but I don't mind one chance where realistically neither of them had the chance to maximise the opportunity
Miscommunication obviously, but the bigger issue for me is that Nunez is in the same space Chiesa is in and that's why he's mad.
Like why are you here and why did you take the ball off me?

Miscommunication obviously, but the bigger issue for me is that Nunez is in the same space Chiesa is in and that's why he's mad.
Like why are you here and why did you take the ball off me?
I didn't see that - what I saw was why didn't you play it on to me (head it left not right) and Chiesa could have been through on goal.

I didn't see that - what I saw was why didn't you play it on to me (head it left not right) and Chiesa could have been through on goal.
I don't know, to me it looks like he complains twice. Took the ball from him and then delayed the pass.

Back
Top Bottom