• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

It's a Harvey situation...

What should slot say? "Oh he'll play plenty don't worry?". Why? He should be using this time to motivate players publicly. I want a rocket fired behind Harvey, so when the opportunity presents itself he takes it with 2 hands. With klopp he'd praise the benchwarmers and then never use them, and that introduced complacency because everyone knew it. Here, I see it as slot saying "he needs to work hard and he'll be rewarded for it. Show me what you've got"

Then why didn't he just do that? Given his repeated references to competition, and those final words from "but" onwards, I stand by what I said. Time will tell.

I think Elliot looks such a perfect fit for the AM role Arne likes. He'll get a lot of game time, and a lot of responsibility. We don't know what Arne is trying to teach in training, but it looks like he trusts Szobo the most.

We all know Elliot is also a pressing beast, and I think he'll thrive once he is unleashed.
Yeah I find it a little strange he hasn't had sny (few?) minutes so far. He could easily have had 20 mins after we scored the third vs United, resting Szobo.
When we consider Slot's comments, especially regarding defending, I'm wondering if that is the issue and Elliott hasn't grasped it yet. We know Szobo has that incredible engine, end to end.

I think it's a good thing that the squad knows in order to make the bench never mind the first 11 they need to be a level above at least one of the players in their position

End of the day.. it’s not as if Slobbers has been shit and needs dropped.

Harvey came on plenty of times last season, played well and then went back to the bench - maybe Slot operates more of a “you play when you’re good… you get dropped when you’re not and whoever comes in keeps the spot if they play well”.

Alternatively, Klopp would rotate a lot at the start of the season and then minimise changes at the end (for key games) - maybe Slot does the opposite.

This is all part of learning how Slot does things.

A key thing on team culture here. He's telling the players they are competing directly with each other.
Klopp inferred the same, but was softer "He'll get more time for sure. Long season" would be his response.

Now Slot is likely just trying to drive higher results. Which will work in the short term.
But if the lads feel greater competition between each other. Will this mean more division in the squad?
Klopp brought the harmony. This made the team click,

I'm just wondering if a more cutthroat dynamic will hurt the harmony.

We've also had a weeks rest between all 3 games so far, and in the end there has been no need for rotation.
After the two first games I doubt anyone really thought that we would start with another 11 then the one against Brentford on Sunday.

We have 6 games in 3 weeks after the international break. The rest of the squad will get plenty of minutes.
Imagine if they don’t!

A key thing on team culture here. He's telling the players they are competing directly with each other.
Klopp inferred the same, but was softer "He'll get more time for sure. Long season" would be his response.

Now Slot is likely just trying to drive higher results. Which will work in the short term.
But if the lads feel greater competition between each other. Will this mean more division in the squad?
Klopp brought the harmony. This made the team click,

I'm just wondering if a more cutthroat dynamic will hurt the harmony.

There are downsides to both approaches.

I think that Kostas is emblematic of the "we all are part of the story, we have to just wait for our chapter" approach. Chummy with everyone, knows his role, but you sense no ambition for him to boot out robbo, if he could.

There are downsides to both approaches.

I think that Kostas is emblematic of the "we all are part of the story, we have to just wait for our chapter" approach. Chummy with everyone, knows his role, but you sense no ambition for him to boot out robbo, if he could.

Was the same for a few players, and for me probably why the club/klopp was happy to run the contracts down, rather than sell. Hendo was probably the only one that bucked the trend, and that's because klopp demanded it (supposedly)

Then why didn't he just do that? Given his repeated references to competition, and those final words from "but" onwards, I stand by what I said. Time will tell.
Slot also said "that's why we only bought one player", which technically is true, but we were after another midfielder. Now he wasn't going to play in the AM position but considering the versatility of our other midfielders, it would have made it even more difficult for both Harvey and Jones to get minutes on the pitch.

Anyway, I like Harvey and I'm rooting for him. He's a very good AM option.

I guess I was right about my hunch:

The 21-year-old made 53 appearances – 27 of which were starts – for the Reds in all competitions last season.

That was his highest tally since arriving from Fulham in the summer of 2019, though Elliott certainly isn't resting on his laurels as he enters year No.6 on Merseyside.

He said: "I feel it's time for me now to make the next step, to try to establish myself and cement my spot in the team. I feel like I'm confident enough now.

"I've come off the back of a season that was kind of my breakthrough season, I would say. I played a lot of games, although I didn't start many.

"I feel like now it's time to try to change that and have my role when starting. It's going to be very hard, it's going to be difficult and I need to work as hard as I possibly can to make sure I get that."

Sounds like he has the right attitude though: time to knuckle down and work hard.
From the moment he gave that kid in hospital his kit and one of his boots after he'd had his ankle broken by a tackle at Leeds, I've never entertained any questions marks about his attitude. I even forgave the top knot.
He's a proper Liverpool fan and I doubt there is anyone at the club more determined to have a successful career with us.

Over the years I fractured both my feet playing Rugby. It's the most frustrating injury - it's hard to rest, it takes longer to recover from (less blood supply, etc), and you can feel fully recovered and then a small roll of the foot or change of direction and you can be set back another month. He'll have access to everything needed to reduce that, but yeah, it's a proper annoying injury.

Elliott has so many years on his side that he just needs to be patient and bide his time. I do fear he lacks the physicality to do what Slot demands off the ball, but it's only a niggling worry. Writing off the lad would be madness.

Back
Top Bottom