• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Szoboszlai

Passing wise, I thought he was below par in the first half. A few balls were way off target. He even managed to mess up a 10 yard pass to gravy in the middle of the park by putting it towards Ryan’s head when it was a fairly simple pass along the deck. His pressing was better, and was proper box to box in the second half. Still short of the heights he showed early last season.

Passing wise, I thought he was below par in the first half. A few balls were way off target. He even managed to mess up a 10 yard pass to gravy in the middle of the park by putting it towards Ryan’s head when it was a fairly simple pass along the deck. His pressing was better, and was proper box to box in the second half. Still short of the heights he showed early last season.
Agree. He got the goal and was industrious as ever, but still made wrong choices and seemed scared at times to make a forward thinking risky pass.

So ... is this Szobo a good player or not ?

A good player that's been very hit and miss for the last 10 months.

The role he's being played under Arne should help him express himself more, operates well in open spaces but many attacks are dying with him.

Arne Slot on Szoboszlai: "He has been outstanding in his pressing game. Something that we have to work on with him is scoring goals and creating chances. His numbers need to go up but I am really happy with him and i’m sure his numbers will go up.”

A victim of the same fan hyperbole as Nunez. Had a good game and was proclaimed world class, he's nothing of the sort.

There's a good player there with Szobo, don't get me wrong, he's been largely shite. But a decent ceiling. Still not worth 60M like.

Nunez fuck off.

The thing with this cunt is we know there's a player in there. You can't look like Gerrard for ten games and then turn into utter shit without a reason.
so the key is finding that reason @Woland . One thing I like about Slot so far - he is able to find shit and do something with it - either bench it or use it in the right way.

I think it's a confidence thing. It's pretty evident after that miss. A player with confidence places that ball high and to side, leaving the keeper with no chance of saving. He decided to play it safe instead, because he was afraid he'd miss.
We saw it several times last season with Nunez.

I think it's a confidence thing. It's pretty evident after that miss. A player with confidence places that ball high and to side, leaving the keeper with no chance of saving. He decided to play it safe instead, because he was afraid he'd miss.
We saw it several times last season with Nunez.
Hard to agree with that. He’s finished a number of similar chances and didn’t play it safe. Just one of those things in this instance.

I don't think he was that bad. It's like what Slot said a few weeks back; he was very good on the press but still need to work on his offensive game. On another day he would have scored. No one in the team has his kind of running power.

Slot said we lost control in the final 15 mins, not saying it's all up to Szoboszlai but it would have been one of the reasons.

//
Arne Slot on Szoboszlai: "He has been outstanding in his pressing game. Something that we have to work on with him is scoring goals and creating chances. His numbers need to go up but I am really happy with him and i’m sure his numbers will go up.”

Yeah - I think he’s been fine, not great l, but he’s putting in a lot of work - he’s just a little out of form.

It’s a pity Harvey got injured.

Curtis should be pushing for a start - happily see Mac push forward into the Slobbers role and Curtis sit a little deeper behind Mac… or vice versa.

Yeah - I think he’s been fine, not great l, but he’s putting in a lot of work - he’s just a little out of form.

It’s a pity Harvey got injured.

Curtis should be pushing for a start - happily see Mac push forward into the Slobbers role and Curtis sit a little deeper behind Mac… or vice versa.
For me we need a lot more than workrate. We're winning games but tbh it feels like we're not creating decent chances. Yesterday in particular felt very bad. We need a 10 who can pull strings, not just press

I would like to see us try Szobo alongside Gravvy and putting Macca in the 10 role.

I thought some of Szobo's better games last season were Newcastle (a) and Wolves (a) 2nd half when he played a deeper role in a 2 man centre midfield.

For me we need a lot more than workrate. We're winning games but tbh it feels like we're not creating decent chances. Yesterday in particular felt very bad. We need a 10 who can pull strings, not just press

We need to let Macca be Macca and play there consistently. He's a top pro and will do a job playing deeper, but it (partially) wastes his talent IMO.

Reactions: mom
Yeah i'd love to see someone else with gravy and mac further forward. I feel we are wasting mac playing so deep. He looks a lot better playing further forward.

He’s doing some things excellently, and doing some things terribly.

His positioning and match awareness for me is brilliant. Very often in the right place at the right time. He also covers a significant amount of ground.

At the moment his composure and intensity when on the ball either passing or shooting is poor. We have attacks that break down through him and he’s being very indecisive with shooting and passing in the box.

I think he’s a point where everything could click and he becomes an output merchant.

It Elliot was fit i think I’d be in favour of him playing, let’s hope he’s back after the international break to give some competition.

It doesn't helps Szobo that Trent can wonder where he likes at times, and Salah frequently concedes possession, but he has to look at himself. The work rate is outstanding, but on the ball ranges from poor to average. It's very frustrating we've seen what he's capable of. He's been by no means bad, but it's a bit too close to Henderson than KDB/Gerrard.

I agree with pushing Mac Allister forward and putting Jones into the team, but he will have to prove to Slot he can be sensible in possession in the deeper areas. Jones looked way off it during his audition for the six in pre-season. His recent cameos are worthy of a start, though. He's been far more elegant and effective on the ball.

60m is a lot of money for running and pressing. Especially when we've seen, albeit in a very short glimpse at the beginning of last season, what he has in his locker.
It is, but a team like Man U would kill to have a midfielder like Szobo right about now.

Back
Top Bottom