• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Are we better than we thought?

Never forget. Brendan Rodgers preferred to sign Tom Ince over Coutiniho. We’ve come a long way

For those that don't bother watching games and just look at results, see the highlights and where we are in the table, then we're brilliant.

For those that watch every game from start to finish, would be able to tell you our football is mostly boring and slow. We'd have standouts performances like Grav, Diaz, Virg but the team performances are bang average and this team hasn't shown they're title challengers.

We have 10-20 min periods where we step it up and get the goals which are enough to win the games, like today, like Ipswich, like Utd, but for the most part it's been shit.

For those that don't bother watching games and just look at results, see the highlights and where we are in the table, then we're brilliant.

For those that watch every game from start to finish, would be able to tell you our football is mostly boring and slow. We'd have standouts performances like Grav, Diaz, Virg but the team performances are bang average and this team hasn't shown they're title challengers.

We have 10-20 min periods where we step it up and get the goals which are enough to win the games, like today, like Ipswich, like Utd, but for the most part it's been shit.

Would you be open to the suggestion that we tried being open and chaotic and it was hard to win this league that way?

Would you be open to the suggestion that we tried being open and chaotic and it was hard to win this league that way?

Start fast and on the front foot until we get a goal or 2 (depending who we play), then sit tight and control or play for counter attacks.

Not start shit, continue shit and end shit....whilst waiting for the opposition to fuck up somewhere in between so we can nick a win.

I think we are as expected. A top side. Top of the. Inconsistent with our play which is what I would expect with a new man in charge. Some bad habits remain which should start to disappear as the season progresses.

Start fast and on the front foot until we get a goal or 2 (depending who we play), then sit tight and control or play for counter attacks.

Not start shit, continue shit and end shit....whilst waiting for the opposition to fuck up somewhere in between so we can nick a win.

Wasn’t the united game like that? How about last week?

Wasn’t the united game like that? How about last week?
Utd and Bournemouth were very similar - both slow starts, nothing happened until the first goal. Then a brilliant 15-20mins where we scored 3 and then 2nd half was a complete borefest. Ridden our luck a few times too with tight offsides and the opposition being shit gifting us goals.

The wins are great but we're not really an exciting team to watch are we?

We’ve had an exciting nine years though, right?. Last season especially. I’m alright with trying a tighter more boring way for a while to see where it takes us. Deffo a little concerned with performances and wondering if we are riding our luck. We have played a lot of duff teams.

City, Arsenal and Chelsea will be great indicators. But for now

- new manager, new players, new league - and I’ve seen it go badly for other clubs by now - more often than not. I’m enthused!

The wins are great but we're not really an exciting team to watch are we?
Gimme the wins every time. Slotball is more about control so you're not going to get 100mph football until we're 3 up. It's control, control and get the goals when the boys string together some superb passing moves or moments of brilliance that you'd expect from top players.

And you'll notice how our defensive record is miles better than anyone else's, and by miles I mean City have conceded 6 and Arsenal 5, LFC 2 and one of those a total fuck up tonight. What is that line from Ferguson about defences win leagues?

Gimme the wins every time. Slotball is more about control so you're not going to get 100mph football until we're 3 up. It's control, control and get the goals when the boys string together some superb passing moves or moments of brilliance that you'd expect from top players.

And you'll notice how our defensive record is miles better than anyone else's, and by miles I mean City have conceded 6 and Arsenal 5, LFC 2 and one of those a total fuck up tonight. What is that line from Ferguson about defences win leagues?

100% - he’s getting us back to hard to score against and beat. That means less excitement.

This time last year we had scored
15, conceded 5 and had +10GD with 16 points

We had played Chelsea, Newcastle, Villa, Bournemouth, Wolves and west Ham.

This year we’ve scored 12 and conceded 2. Same goal difference. 1 less point

But with a new more inexperienced manager. Replacing a once in a generational talent

We’re looking good but we started well last year against more difficult teams.

I had not doubt about our quality based on last season - but I knew last season Klopp was going to screw it up because he was forced to buy the type of players he don't like....i.e. midfielders. In the end he ran the poor bastard into the ground but trained them to win a PL but the players actually failed him last season with poor finishing. Now we have a manager who can adapt our team to defend collectively and calm things down will get more out of the type of midfielders we have. Lets face it last season under Klopp: -
  1. Gravy was a fucking loser,
  2. Szobo was run into the ground to become a Hendo-Regen
  3. Gakpo was taught how to forget his best qualities
  4. Konate was told to take on 2 to 3 players by himself while Trent goes walk-about
Despite all the above we challenged up until April - which tells you a lot about the quality of the team and we were up to then involved in all comps. The new manager plays a less gung-ho style - giving the players a chance to last the season, and everything looks more controlled. However, there have been poor games under him where the players look out of sorts - clearly not adopting to his methods - this could be our biggest downfall this season.

Can I just add - that the type of football we are playing and how we are going about it - is it more like the season where we won the league ?

I think we're a very good team and in with a shout for the title. But we're not as good as the goals for, against, and points suggest. Same as last year.

We have some flaws that we need to address or we'll be found out at the business end of the season. Same as last year.

None of this is intended as negativity. Frankly, the transition from Klopp to Slot has gone better than I expected. But we're not perfect and the standards at this football club are high enough that we can still level fair criticism when it's warranted. Which it is.

I think we’re a fantastic team - and more than capable of competing for every trophy we’re in.

It’s more of a question of how quickly the tweaks Slot’s making stick and players fully buy into it.

Its was always going to be the case that more control with less chaos would mean less goals conceded but with less goals scored and not quite being as fun or as nerve-wracking to watch.

View: https://youtu.be/0ykeJKdFVA8?si=ivBajEli5wTN1leb

Slot’s message on this is interesting - he keeps emphasizing that we’ve had a fairly easy schedule to start and that we still have “a lot to prove” against better teams. Also, he didn’t manage to say it quite as clearly as he would have liked here (he repeated the same idea with better wording during the press-conference), but basically he is saying that last time this team had to contend with CL midweek games, we came 5th - so in his mind balancing CL and PL and not running out of steam is a huge challenge going forward.

I think this is the right approach. We don’t want to be like Spurs winning the league in September. 15 points from 18 is a decent return, but we’ll need to raise our level soon to keep winning.

View: https://youtu.be/0ykeJKdFVA8?si=ivBajEli5wTN1leb

Slot’s message on this is interesting - he keeps emphasizing that we’ve had a fairly easy schedule to start and that we still have “a lot to prove” against better teams. Also, he didn’t manage to say it quite as clearly as he would have liked here (he repeated the same idea with better wording during the press-conference), but basically he is saying that last time this team had to contend with CL midweek games, we came 5th - so in his mind balancing CL and PL and not running out of steam is a huge challenge going forward.

I think this is the right approach. We don’t want to be like Spurs winning the league in September. 15 points from 18 is a decent return, but we’ll need to raise our level soon to keep winning.

I don't disagree with that and I don't have a agenda anymore but 15 from 18 isn't a decent return, for a new manager that's pretty fucking good

I don't disagree with that and I don't have a agenda anymore but 15 from 18 isn't a decent return, for a new manager that's pretty fucking good
Sure, it’s more than decent of course, but other than United away these were all teams that we were expected to beat - Arsenal and City are a point behind us having played a lot harder games.

Yes but compare who we have played against and who they have. They have overall had a lot harder games so its to be expected. We've had a great start but only played opposition we should beat anyway(apart from man utd as we normally have a hard time there) and we still lost at anfield to forest during that time. But i'm hoping its just us getting used to a new style of play and that the performances will improve.

We’ve conceded two goals all season, one was a brain fart and one was a worldy.

I think we will keep beating the dross but really feel we need to end the season having 4 points minimum against both City & Arsenal.

Arsenal have had tough away fixtures already at Villa City & Spurs. They haven’t looked fully convincing but they have tactics that they are executing.

Huge period after the break, wins against Arsenal & Chelsea and we’re in a really great position.

Yes but compare who we have played against and who they have. They have overall had a lot harder games so its to be expected. We've had a great start but only played opposition we should beat anyway(apart from man utd as we normally have a hard time there) and we still lost at anfield to forest during that time. But i'm hoping its just us getting used to a new style of play and that the performances will improve.
There is that , yes of course. However, to me, we do look a lot steadier at the back, and more secure. Hopefully it continues against tougher opposition.

Back
Top Bottom