• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Are we better than we thought?

Sorry to answer the question,

1) We are better technically and organisation ways than what we saw last season because Klopp's core tactics with midfielders never utilized their full talents, Slot will change that plus being more compact to give our defense more cover.

2) The chances created by the opposition in pre season was too much, and a clear indicator of not having control of the game.

So I think (2) will hamper us, but (1) suggests we are better than what we think.

Not sure can really read too much into any of this from pre season but we are like last season conceding too many chance and that hurt us last season especially always conceding the first one in the second half of the season. Still need a proper DM as priority.

We need a left back more than a DM. Also, everyone will lose their shit when Donkey does Donkey things.

The actual situation is we have a massively bloated squad and won’t buy anyone till someone meets our valuation on players and they leave. We will get in a DM for Endo as long as a side stumps up £15 million for him.

We do need a LB but not sure ahead of DM, Endo did great at times but not sure I can really say he is a top DM. Felt like last year, post Feb we were conceding way too many chances and was getting overrun in midfield again.

We do need a LB but not sure ahead of DM, Endo did great at times but not sure I can really say he is a top DM. Felt like last year, post Feb we were conceding way too many chances and was getting overrun in midfield again.
Tactics the reason not personnel perhaps

Tactics the reason not personnel perhaps
That is partly true too, especially when we tend to get overrun but then we were much tighter pre Feb it felt with similar players. I don't know our changes conceded stats but seemed much tighter first half of the season compared to the latter.

It will be interesting to see if Slot throws the returning players back in straight away, or goes with an XI from the lads he's worked with over the last few weeks. I'm excited to see what he does, the signs are encouraging so far though, but lets be honest, sometimes the new manager bounce with players is short lived. I still think we have concerns at left back, centre half and DM. And to a lesser extent, on the right wing (long term).

This is the impression I got as well, and also the stats behind both games suggest this. Agree on the need for a proper DM, not makeshift 8/10 made into 6's.

Only City have a proper modern number 6. One that can defend like Rice but also pass like Jorginho.

As rurik says in the OP it's too soon to form definitive views but, given the questions (mainly justified IMO) that most of us were asking about some of those players, it's been an encouraging start.

Time will tell on Endo but I'm optimistic, at least for a season or two while we look for (or groom from within our own ranks) a longer-term successor. He's kept improving over a long period and he's a nuggety little bugger who, I hope and expect, still has plenty in the tank.
This is the issue I have with 'waiting' : VvD, Mo., Ali perhaps more (sold) will all be gone or if still here, far from prime.
This season they are still world class - replacing 3 world class players whilst waiting for our youngsters to mature is not going to happen.

It would be madness not to strengthen where required NOW if we plan to challenge for the two big trophies and not just be also rans for the next few seasons at least.

I said in another thread that I think we could do better than last year with no signings, primarily down to the change of tactics favouring our existing players
This is a possibility if we tighten up the defence whilst maintaining the number of goals scored.

Tell what is scary...the Sky transfer page ... every team except us has something in their "IN" box.

Tell what is scary...the Sky transfer page ... every team except us has something in their "IN" box.
Slot reading Klopp's script
The Dutchman said: "I am focused on the tour, how we played, what we need to improve and what we did well. Like I said, the bar is really high for new signings because we have so many good players.

"So it is not so easy to first find a player to meet those standards and then [the question is] is he available? Then we have to find an agreement with them, so it is not always easy to find a player who can help us but [sporting director] Richard [Hughes] is working hard on it and let's see what comes from this.

The truth of it is we don't have the money. We were in the Europa Cup which pays nothing. We spent £100m net last summer net. Don't believe me ask @Beamrider.

The truth of it is we don't have the money. We were in the Europa Cup which pays nothing. We spent £100m net last summer net. Don't believe me ask @Beamrider.
Can easily borrow against guaranteed CL / PL income.

100M net ? Sorry but we got at least 62M GBp for the sale of Fab, and Henderson. Not to mention getting Milner, Naby, Ox, Bobby off our wage bill that same summer.

We've got money to spend. We've just not got the will to spend it right now. I think that's a mistake, but it's not lack of cash preventing us from spending.
I would hope there is a focus on sorting out the futures of Trent, Virgil and Mo at the very least.
I also think we are looking to clear out some dead wood and we probably don't want buying clubs thinking we're flush with cash or they'll low ball us. But if I can work out we're not skint, I'm sure other clubs know that too.

We've got money to spend. We've just not got the will to spend it right now. I think that's a mistake, but it's not lack of cash preventing us from spending.
I would hope there is a focus on sorting out the futures of Trent, Virgil and Mo at the very least.
I also think we are looking to clear out some dead wood and we probably don't want buying clubs thinking we're flush with cash or they'll low ball us. But if I can work out we're not skint, I'm sure other clubs know that too.
You're just a Top, Top, Top (and one more for good measure) Top Red.
Speaking honestly, if we can survive (be in the title race) till Jan and maybe get a LB who can defend, we should be good. Not sure why its taking so long to sort out Trent, VVDs and Salah's contract. Give the oldies a 3 year contract and Trent a 5 year one.
Or sell them if they don't commit

Salah won’t sign one and will leave on a free. I’d guess Virgil and Trent will sign in the coming weeks seeing as they were away all summer.

You're just a Top, Top, Top (and one more for good measure) Top Red.
Speaking honestly, if we can survive (be in the title race) till Jan and maybe get a LB who can defend, we should be good. Not sure why its taking so long to sort out Trent, VVDs and Salah's contract. Give the oldies a 3 year contract and Trent a 5 year one.
Or sell them if they don't commit
I suspect all three of them want to see if they like working for Slot before committing. I think that's totally fair and hopefully they will love it and want to stay.
And I think you're right that there's no sense in spending money for the sake of it. There's something to be said for having money to spend in January to push on in the second half of the season (maybe Rodgers would have won the league if we'd succeeded in bringing in Konoplyanka in that January window).
If you read Slot's comments, his focus is on improving the first XI - that's refreshingly ambitious. But I do think we should strengthen our squad options too. The kids did great last year but it would be expecting a lot of them to step in for sustained periods if we find ourselves struggling with injuries to key players (although I think Slot's less intense style reduces the risk on that score).

Salah won’t sign one and will leave on a free. I’d guess Virgil and Trent will sign in the coming weeks seeing as they were away all summer.
I think that's probably right, and I wouldn't begrudge Mo one last pay day, whether that's in Saudi or elsewhere, so long as he doesn't stop trying for us mid-season to avoid risking injury (my hunch is that wouldn't happen).

Will be interesting to see who makes the squad against Sevilla

There is a closed door friendly the same day i believe, so i expect we’ll see a lot of players do 70-80 mins against Sevilla and some subs appear in both to balance the minutes of those who returned late.

Sorry to answer the question,

1) We are better technically and organisation ways than what we saw last season because Klopp's core tactics with midfielders never utilized their full talents, Slot will change that plus being more compact to give our defense more cover.

2) The chances created by the opposition in pre season was too much, and a clear indicator of not having control of the game.

So I think (2) will hamper us, but (1) suggests we are better than what we think.
You know Slot plays Tikki-Takka football, something you hate?
I think the major calming factor is the players bide their time to create the right opportunity, there isn't a rush on to create chance after chance

You know Slot plays Tikki-Takka football, something you hate?
I think the major calming factor is the players bide their time to create the right opportunity, there isn't a rush on to create chance after chance
It's NOT death Tikki-Takka - its express Tikki-Takka - there are variants to Tikki-Takka, I can cope with his level.

So on a Channel now and all saying is Zubi

Back
Top Bottom