• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Can we find the Lavia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MacAllister is not an automatic starter for me - he will get a lot of minutes, but is probably too versatile to nail down a position. If Fabinho stays, he will probably stay first choice at DM, but now we’ll have decent alternatives in Bajcetic, Lavia etc. The biggest question for Klopp would be how to integrate Gakpo and Nunez together - they are both the type that needs the team built around them, but also completely different from each other.
Got to disagree. Mac is probably a 60-70m player and that’s a starter. His versatility only goes to emphasis that. His position may vary but he’ll start. IMO.

I’d be surprised if Gary isn’t one of the first names in the sheet. He fits our good style of play amazingly well, as opposed to the not so good style we adopted last season.

I’d be surprised if Gary isn’t one of the first names in the sheet. He fits our good style of play amazingly well, as opposed to the not so good style we adopted last season.

He does fit our style for sure. But in my mind the key players for us, the spine of the team are:

Alli
VVD
Konate
Trent
Gakpo
Salah

Szoboszlai also has potential to be a key player in the future (post-Salah) and in the best-case scenario Nunez also becomes one. Everyone else will fill in remaining roles depending on tactics and opponents.

Last edited:
He does fit our style for sure. But in my mind the key players for us, the spine of the team are:

Alli
VVD
Konate
Trent
Gakpo
Salah

Szloboszlai also has potential to be a key player in the future (post-Salah) and in the best-case scenario Nunez also becomes one. Everyone else will fill in remaining roles depending on tactics and opponents.

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say he’s that good and suits us that well that he will be part of the spine/ guaranteed starters.

Reactions: jan
I wonder if we are looking to get a lower fee based on larger up front payments flowing back from the Fabs sale?

Mac will start every PL game barring injuries. We will get the most out of him by using a DM but we saw him used as the DM at Brighton on occasions (when Caicedo was out at RB!)

I assume that Jones will get a decent amount of time initially. As he's the one that knows the system the best (assuming Hendo and Fabs go, and thiago is injured or sold). Which is a crazy scenario

No way we paid whatever it was for Szobo for him not to be a starter.

I think Slobbers will start from the bench and be one of the players coming on in Klopp’s standard 65th minute substitutions.

There’ll be times Gakpo plays up front or as a false 9.

I agree that Mac A will likely be the one to start in midfield most and Salah will start up front on the right.

Thar leaves one attacking midfield position and 2 forward roles (left & centre) to be filled by Jota, Nunez, Diaz, Gakpo, Slobbers & Curtis.

I’d expect Jota & Curtis injury record to thin that field out regularly - so it’ll be down to tactics and form for the rest.

Nothing wrong with giving Slobbers time to settle - we paid more for Nunez and he started the season on the bench - and likely would have stayed there longer if Jota had been fit.

Fabs was a big money signing and was given time to settle.

Klopp tends to rotate more early season then stick more rigidly with a lineup during the run in.

I think the Leicester & Bayern games will give us more of an idea on Klopp’s plans.

Szobo will quickly be a starter imho. He’s quality and already familiar with a similar style of football philosophy to Klopp.

Szobo will quickly be a starter imho. He’s quality and already familiar with a similar style of football philosophy to Klopp.

Hopefully yes - we actually have a fair bit of variation and flexibility in the forward line and attacking midfield.

Defensive midfield is the obvious weak spot and the defence is an injury away from becoming an issue.

I really hope we bring in a CB - but I’m not overly optimistic we will.

anywhere between £37m and £50m is a fair price for Romeo Lavia. Mctominay is going for £40m, and Brighton is asking £100m for Caicedo. Lavia will be worth £70m in three years. Let's just get it done please. Southampton has done enough for us over the years. A few extra quid to them won't kill us.

anywhere between £37m and £50m is a fair price for Romeo Lavia. Mctominay is going for £40m, and Brighton is asking £100m for Caicedo. Lavia will be worth £70m in three years. Let's just get it done please. Southampton has done enough for us over the years. A few extra quid to them won't kill us.
Thing is, paying £50 mill means £10 mill less to spend elsewhere.
So it kinda matters.

But a few extra millions will affect other transfer. I know what you mean but …

As I recall, Southampton has always done itself, nobody else, any favours. I hear the chavs’ name being mentioned— they’re always in most conversations. And City isn’t out of this either if the reports of the buy-back clause are true.

Last edited:
How many other players are we targeting this summer, though? It seems like we are only looking at 1 or 2 more.

I don't think an additional £10m is going to allow us to get Levi Colwill or Tchouamemi.

What's the alternative if we don't pay for Lavia? It's a seller's market out there. Palace want £70m for Cheick.

How many other players are we targeting this summer, though? It seems like we are only looking at 1 or 2 more.

I don't think an additional £10m is going to allow us to get Levi Colwill or Tchouamemi.

What's the alternative if we don't pay for Lavia? It's a seller's market out there. Palace want £70m for Cheick.

You know the answer don’t you - it involves Curtis Jones trying his luck in a DM position and much wailing and gnashing of teeth on here.

Liverpool to make second Romeo Lavia transfer offer

romeo-lavia-scaled-e1690362549666-1024x683.jpeg

By James Pearce and David Ornstein
17m ago

Liverpool are set to make an improved offer for Southampton midfielder Romeo Lavia.
The Athletic revealed on Tuesday that their opening bid worth around £37million ($44.5m) for the Belgium international had been rejected.
Southampton, who were relegated to the Championship in May, are holding out for an overall package in the region of £50m.
However, negotiations are ongoing and there is now an increasing likelihood of a deal being agreed. It is possible that add-ons take Liverpool to a figure that Southampton deem acceptable.
Personal terms will not be an issue, although Chelsea also retain a firm interest in Lavia.
The 19-year-old played 45 minutes for Southampton in their 3-2 friendly defeat by Bournemouth at St Mary’s on Tuesday night.
Asked about Lavia’s future, manager Russell Martin said: “I thought Romeo, considering what’s going on, to play tonight and do all that stuff, it was good for him to get on the pitch as he has not had the minutes other people have had.
“You can ask for an update but I can’t give you one because I don’t know. I’m going to speak to (sporting director) Jason (Wilcox) now but I’ve been preparing for this game.”
Liverpool returned to Merseyside on Monday after a training camp in Germany. Jurgen Klopp’s squad fly out to Singapore on Thursday for a week-long trip which involves games against Leicester City and Bayern Munich.
0523_2023Awards_Southampton-Lavia-1024x512.jpg

GO DEEPER
Romeo Lavia is Southampton's utopia – a youthful buy to sell for big profit. He has excelled

Follow the summer transfer window with The Athletic

Liverpool are also set to lose captain Jordan Henderson, who has agreed a move to Saudi Pro League side Al Ettifaq. They had been prepared to see Fabinho depart for Al Ittihad too, but that move is in jeopardy.
The Merseyside club, meanwhile, have also been interested in Crystal Palace’s Cheick Doucoure, Fiorentina’s Sofyan Amrabat, Bayern Munich’s Ryan Gravenberch and Manchester City’s Kalvin Phillips.
Lavia made 29 appearances as Southampton were relegated last season, missing a chunk of the campaign due to a hamstring injury. He was also subject to a £50m deadline day approach from Chelsea last September, despite only having joined Southampton a few months earlier.

How good is Romeo Lavia?

By Jacob Tanswell
Lavia has a supreme ability to pass, receive and move with the ball in a way most cannot. Every action is flowing and well-oiled, every pass has a short backlift yet is crisp and precise. Every touch has a purpose and sets up the next.
Whatever situation, stadium or opponent he faces, he is never ruffled.
He was regarded as Southampton’s only transformative player in possession last season, adept in breaking lines and regulating the overall tempo of a game. Lavia’s composure in the most frenzied part of the pitch in the most dysfunctional side in the league was remarkable.

So who actually broke the news of our interest in him, don't tell me it was that chancer, Ben Jacobs?

Haha.

No but really I think it'd be a good idea to check these things once we know the deal is close to being finalised and like put a mark to each of the usual names that reports on us and find out a) who really is the most reliable and b) who actually breaks the news first.

Which sorry cunts are paying 40m for Mctominay? Sounds like an Everton transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom