• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Fulham (a) - Sat 12:30

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s the first game of the season— the quality differences between teams, except maybe Man City, tends to quite small. We’re desperately undercooked, yes, but also exhibited a rank poor attitude to what was unfolding in front of us. Fulham got to pretty much every second ball and we failed to look after the ball when we had it. Oh, for a midfielder who can actually take on and go past his man …

We don't even need some stylish midfielder that is going to unlock a defense. If we just 1) didn't cough up the ball repeatedly and 2) had younger legs to press and cover our fullbacks more aggressively we'd be fine.

Our midfield is not technically brilliant, but the main issue with it is just that our midfield needs tons of running, and our best midfielders are all the wrong side of 30. That's it. I don't know what the fuck we are waiting for. Apparently its Jude Bellingham.

He looks fine. It doesn't really matter. I don't think we're going to get some genius expressive midfielder in a Klopp team anyway. But really, he's so fucking remarkable we have to wait on him? I don't see it at all.

Klopp really laying into the team; said the performance "warranted a defeat" and he is almost happy we dropped 2 points as opposed to getting an undeserved win, so we can learn from it and "get our punishment." Says we started wrong from the very first pass and looked far worse than against City and he now needs to figure out why.

Also bad news on Keita, he won't be ready for the next game, neither will Curtis nor Thiago in all probability, so we're already in a midfield injury crisis at the very start of the season.

Henderson hit the bar and played a great pass for the goal. They were far from great, but Hendo had more of an impact than Thiago who was woeful and Fabinho who thought he just had to turn up.

Henderson was good in a poor team performance. Also think Matip was poor. Error for the goal and generally not at the races.

"I don’t understand. I do not understand. People told me about this discussion, but the last thing that would have crossed my mind is that we have to [buy a midfielder]"

And here we are. Second competitive match.

We don't even need some stylish midfielder that is going to unlock a defense. If we just 1) didn't cough up the ball repeatedly and 2) had younger legs to press and cover our fullbacks more aggressively we'd be fine.

Our midfield is not technically brilliant, but the main issue with it is just that our midfield needs tons of running, and our best midfielders are all the wrong side of 30. That's it. I don't know what the fuck we are waiting for. Apparently its Jude Bellingham.

He looks fine. It doesn't really matter. I don't think we're going to get some genius expressive midfielder in a Klopp team anyway. But really, he's so fucking remarkable we have to wait on him? I don't see it at all.

Exactly this, but asking some on here and apparently our rocket scientists cannot find anyone in the world that would fit into our midfield other than Jude.

We need more freshness in the squad, like Nunez and Diaz. Too many players in that XI 30+

Thiago getting on, injury prone and leggy.
Hendo the same.
Bobby the same.
Milner the same.
Matip getting there.
Not saying anything bad about Virgil but how much longer can we rely on him?
Ox still at the club when he should’ve been moved on years ago to make space for another player.

Hendo and Bobby were really bad today, and you have to question the durability of these players.

Fabinho is a top class player but he’s very slow, put players around him who have lost that peak sharpness years ago and you get a flat performance like today.

Again this isn’t a meltdown but more of an observation, feels like we’re running the same team into the ground season after season. I’m pretty sure about 9-10 of those who started today started the first league game 4 years ago and now it’s like ok….where’s the fresh blood.

Klopp really laying into the team; said the performance "warranted a defeat" and he is almost happy we dropped 2 points as opposed to getting an undeserved win, so we can learn from it and "get our punishment." Says we started wrong from the very first pass and looked far worse than against City and he now needs to figure out why.

Also bad news on Keita, he won't be ready for the next game, neither will Curtis nor Thiago in all probability, so we're already in a midfield injury crisis at the very start of the season.

Klopp said Keita will definetly be back for Fulham.

Henderson was good in a poor team performance. Also think Matip was poor. Error for the goal and generally not at the races.
I don’t think anybody in that midfield came out with any credit to be honest. They were all of them hassled into coughing up possession time after time. Perera made each one of them look like utter mugs, time and time again.

Last edited:
I have 4 bikes in the basement. Two of them should be at the dump and aren't usable. Next time we have visitors I'll know what to tell them.
Maybe you should get rid of some of those bikes and buy new and better ones. But you can’t keep storing useless heaps of metal in your garage and brag that you have bicycles.

Klopp said Keita will definetly be back for Fulham.

I heard it as “Naby is ill, he will not be back definitely next week, again” (5:10 in the quoted video). Not a grammatically correct turn of phrase, so it’s a little unclear: it either means he’s definitely out or it’s not definite he’ll be back in time.

I heard it as “Naby is ill, he will not be back definitely next week, again” (5:10 in the quoted video). Not a grammatically correct turn of phrase, so it’s a little unclear: it either means he’s definitely out or it’s not definite he’ll be back in time.

Liverpool.no has it as definetly back next week. He was back in training yesterday but still had some symptoms (not Covid).

Maybe you should get rid of some of those bikes and buy new and better ones. But you can’t keep storing useless heaps of metal in your garage and brag that you have bicycles.

I was so annoyed by the utter predictability of this shit that I went over to the local bike advocacy charity, donated the two bikes and some money to fix them up. I then asked them to let me know when two passable bikes are available at the end of the season when there's a glut. I'm the Michael Edwards of shitty bikes today. No one is going to visit us anyway, we have a small child, let's be honest.

Last edited:
A rusty, sloppy, disjointed, lazy, poor performance, with too many players failing to do the basics like retain and pass the ball - we were outfought and they were quicker to every loose ball and more focussed.

I can’t imagine Palace will play much differently next weekend - so we have a week to buck up our ideas and get our heads out of pre-season mode.

Inevitably, there will be a clamour of a new midfielder - but I don’t think that necessarily solves the problem of a midfield that is more than capable of and should be playing much better.

That’s the first fix - wake the fuck up and don’t play like you expect the opposition to sit back and make life easy for you.

I have no clue why we persist with Bobby when it's blatantly clear he doesn't cut it anymore. 1 average game, 5 meh ones where he makes zero impact. And when was the last time he scored?

Take the 15m, buy a young striker and let him run around, at least we can get teams to drop deeper. Otherwise play Fabio or Gordon and let them develop, we will be better off in the long run.

I have no clue why we persist with Bobby when it's blatantly clear he doesn't cut it anymore. 1 average game, 5 meh ones where he makes zero impact. And when was the last time he scored?

Take the 15m, buy a young striker and let him run around, at least we can get teams to drop deeper. Otherwise play Fabio or Gordon and let them develop, we will be better off in the long run.
I'm slowly coming round to that way of thinking, too, although I wonder if yesterday made him seem worse than he really is. I was yelling at the TV as he wasn't just involved in any meaningful way at all.

Last edited:

With a game to chase, the manager turned to Nunez not long after half-time and the striker did not take long to make his presence felt.
Another game-changing performance from the bench had Nunez celebrating his maiden Premier League goal just 13 minutes after being introduced, before then setting up Mohamed Salah‘s equaliser.
It was a performance that leaves you wanting to see more and Nunez had a simple message after his first 40 minutes in the English topflight.
“This is just the beginning,” Nunez penned on Instagram, with images of his goal. We like the sound of that!

Everyone stunk the place out, not just him.

With a game to chase, the manager turned to Nunez not long after half-time and the striker did not take long to make his presence felt.
Another game-changing performance from the bench had Nunez celebrating his maiden Premier League goal just 13 minutes after being introduced, before then setting up Mohamed Salah‘s equaliser.
It was a performance that leaves you wanting to see more and Nunez had a simple message after his first 40 minutes in the English topflight.
“This is just the beginning,” Nunez penned on Instagram, with images of his goal. We like the sound of that!

Vamos a la playa ahaha?

Sorry if I repeat anything said here already...(Have not read any of your post yet)
Re- watch this on MOTD as I wanted to here what the pundits have to say about the performance, and I had to admit that I agreed with the assessment....

Fulham pressed us and closed us down very well the first 25-30 mins. which caused us major head aches as we were slow to react to this....

The other thing I will add is that I believe Nunez should be starting...

I love Bobby to death, but he seems to have loss his way as the main striker, maybe Klopp should try playing him in the mid-field roll. I always believed that he would shine there creating for the front there. Could become our Pirlo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom