• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Fulham (a) - Sat 12:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brizzle

Deposed match thread starter
We're back baby!

Hard to fault any of the line up from the Community Shield but I'd prefer to see Alisson in goal if he's 100% and Nunez to have earned a starting spot already after that great performance. Long term i'd like to see one of Elliot or Carvalho playing w/ Fabs & Thiago but for this first game of the season let's start with a safe midfield trio.

--------------Alisson-------------
Trent---Matip---VVD---Robbo
---------------Fabs---------------
--------Hendo----Thiago-------
Salah------Nunez-------Diaz

I’m going with Brizz’s team. I think Saturday showed Firmino doesn’t have the legs for 90 and will be our impact sub for the season. We need to get Nunez firing in competitive games asap. Who better than Fulham to go for it?

5 subs will make it hard to predict the possible subs. I think we will see lots of Milner coming in at right back to manage Trent’s minutes. But for that to happen we will need to be a few goals up in the game.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Elliott in midfield. Same as the start of last season.

Bobby up front with Nunez in the second half.

Alisson needs to play, I can't take the passing out from the clown. I'm ok with most of the rest of his game, even the goal at the weekend, that happens but the poor passing out will kill us.

The Henderson and Firmino spots in the team are the ones up for discussion. The others are pretty nailed on.
Elliott, Keita or Nunez are the ones in contention.

I think Klopp will go safe and start Firmino and Henderson. Fulham will be going at us from the start and its important having players that know the system and can execute Klopps tactics to perfection.
I quite like the idea of introducing a confidence high fired up Nunez around the 55-60th minute mark to run at a tiring defence.
Henderson was good against City and we need him on the pitch at the start of the season.
Wouldnt be against Elliott either but Henderson feels more viable in winning a midfield battle from kick off.

Fulham like to attack - 106 goals to win the Championship.

Which is good for us. Especially given one of those goalscorers generally scores 35 goals in the Championship & 5 goals in the PL. Another is now part of our squad and another is one of our U23 rejects.

Would be lovely if they decided to come out positively, which is why having a #9 playing on the shoulder of their CBs is important for me at the start.

No Carvalho (or Elliot) please. I'll feel sad when he can't celebrate his PL debut hat-trick.

Why Elliott? I mean I like the kid but he hasn't been good in pre season. Since it's Fulham wouldn't be more logical to give Carvalho a chance to play?
Still, I don't want any of them to start. Usual line up please but with Darwin upfront.

Why Elliott? I mean I like the kid but he hasn't been good in pre season. Since it's Fulham wouldn't be more logical to give Carvalho a chance to play?
Still, I don't want any of them to start. Usual line up please but with Darwin upfront.

Who did we sign Harvey off?

Who did we sign Harvey off?
Come on, he played like 5 matches for Fulham 2 years ago. Carvalho played for them a few months ago. Also, you can't deny that Carvalho has been more impressive in pre season.

Come on, he played like 5 matches for Fulham 2 years ago. Carvalho played for them a few months ago. Also, you can't deny that Carvalho has been more impressive in pre season.

I think the point that was being made was that both came through the youth ranks at Fulham and therefore they both might have some sort of attachment to the club - I hardly think it was intended as more than a lighthearted observation.

Don’t let Harvey be your next English obsession to put down - his assist for Hendo in preseason was good and he was playing in a more forward role than he has in past. They’ve both looked good in their own way.

Last edited:
I think the point that was being made was that both came through the youth ranks at Fulham and therefore they both might have some sort of attachment to the club - I hardly think it was intended as more than a lighthearted observation.

Don’t let Harvey be your next English obsession to put down - his assist for Hendo in preseason was good and he was playing in a more forward role than he has in past. They’ve both looked good in there own way.
Again with the "English" bullshit. He just hasn't impressed me at all this preseason, so why should he be ahead of someone I think was better? Also Carvalho is English too.

Last edited:
Elliott has been excellent in pre season. Klopp said as much himself yesterday after the game.

I think Modo's point is more that Carvalho will have literally played with & against most of the Fulham players in training and that might be an advantage rather than anything about emotional connection. I think that logic is strong tbf.

Starting Carvalho based on pre season would see him replace Diaz in the line up. That aint happening though.
He'll come on but doesnt warrant a start yet. Fulham previous or not.

Starting Carvalho based on pre season would see him replace Diaz in the line up. That aint happening though.
He'll come on but doesnt warrant a start yet. Fulham previous or not.
Carvalho isnt a winger though he's an attacking midfielder.

Again with the "English" bullshit. He just hasn't impressed me at all this preseason, so why should he be ahead of someone I think was better? Also Carvalho is English too.

You have to ask why he hasn’t impressed YOU - because he’s been decent in the games I’ve watched.

Doesn’t really matter who’s better or worse - Carvalho isn’t starting because he’d have to play instead of Thiago or Diaz - Harvey isn’t starting ahead of Salah and Henderson is likely to start.

Both Harvey & Carvalho are good shouts to come on as subs after Fulham have spent an hour getting tired chasing the ball around - when they’re both likely to be able to have a greater impact.

We can debate what constitutes nationality elsewhere - but he was born in Portugal and he’s decided to play for their U21’s - so I’d imagine he doesn’t consider himself English.

Carvalho isnt a winger though he's an attacking midfielder.

He hasn’t played as an attacking midfielder once for us, as far as I can see - he’s played in the side left forward role - I’d argue Diaz isn’t being deployed as a winger either - he was moving into the centre a lot against City.

You have to ask why he hasn’t impressed YOU - because he’s been decent in the games I’ve watched.

Doesn’t really matter who’s better or worse - Carvalho isn’t starting because he’d have to play instead of Thiago or Diaz - Harvey isn’t starting ahead of Salah and Henderson is likely to start.

Both Harvey & Carvalho are good shouts to come on as subs after Fulham have spent an hour getting tired chasing the ball around - when they’re both likely to be able to have a greater impact.

We can debate what constitutes nationality elsewhere - but he was born in Portugal and he’s decided to play for their U21’s - so I’d imagine he doesn’t consider himself English.
Well I don't think he was good against either Salzburg or City. I didn't watch the entire game yesterday.
He loses the ball to many times for my liking and isn't suited to play on the wing for us as is. He still has a lot to learn. Just don't think he's ready yet.

Well I don't think he was good against either Salzburg or City. I didn't watch the entire game yesterday.
He loses the ball to many times for my liking and isn't suited to play on the wing for us as is. He still has a lot to learn. Just don't think he's ready yet.

I’d expect he would have a lot to learn at 19.

I don’t think attacking forward is his best position - but it’s a role he’ll have to fill for now.

I’d say him and Carvalho along with Bajcetic will form the core of our midfield when the current first teamers move on or retire.

It a great state of affairs - you should be happy.

Yep, starting Nunez makes sense.

The rest picks itself. With 5 subs to play with you would hope see both Elliott and Carvalho get on.

How would you accomodate him in the team bar at LW when we’ve been playing 4-3-3 in pre season?
Fucking hell I said start the regulars plus Nunes. To answer you question if Carvalho starts it's instead of Hendo as an attacking mid. Just like Elliot last Autumn

Fucking hell I said start the regulars plus Nunes. To answer you question if Carvalho starts it's instead of Hendo as an attacking mid. Just like Elliot last Autumn

So, Carvalho starts on the opposite side of the pitch and in a deeper position to where he has, so far, played - and you’re happy to die on that hill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom