• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Fulham (a) - Sat 12:30

Status
Not open for further replies.
The foul directly lead to a goal.
Anyway, it doesnt matter. Cant change it regardless and we didnt deserve anything.

That game was frustrating because multiple seasons now, it's points at this stage of the season that end up costing us.

How are the players unable to get that in their head?

Our midfield was a fucking travesty today.

Jürgen Klopp: "We got a point from a really bad game from my side. The attitude wasn't right in the beginning. We didn't deserve more. The performance needs massive improvement. We did the opposite of what we wanted to do. The result wasn't about the referee."

This is how we keep losing the league to city by 1 point. Now watch city absolutely destroy Fulham.

Problem with us as compared to city, is we play the opposition, rather than play at our best. City steamroller teams as they play at their level consistently. We raise and lower our game accordingly. It's why we never seem to get high scorelines

I said this earlier, and for as much as "mentality monsters" we are at times, I feel like we never put in more than we have to. Pregame we clearly had the mentality of "this should be straightforward". The midfield and Trent were the biggest culprits of this. Bobby was just shite but was trying

Nunez is going to be a hugely divisive player, you can see it already. He causes problems, creates chances and gets goals. But he's sloppy on the ball and he's going to miss alot of good opportunities because he can't sort his feet out.

I’m not having that this early in the season, his Liverpool career. He’s a young lad in a new side making his league debut in the first game of the season after about 100 mins across pre season - it’s many months premature to say he ‘can’t sort his feet out’.

I despair of the fan culture around new players these days.

Our midfield was a fucking travesty today.

I'm tempted to change this to

Our midfield was is a fucking travesty today.

We knew about Ox and Keita's (or even Thiago's) fitness record. Bringing on 36 yr old Milner while chasing a game. The games will be coming thick and fast due to the congested schedule before WC. Palhinha impressing on his debut kinda show how weak our options were.

Flash ratings

Alisson - 4

Trent - 4
Matip - 6
Virgil - 6
Robbo - 6

Thiago - 5
Fabinho - 5
Henderson - 4

Diaz - 7
Firmino - 4
Salah - 7

Subs
Nunez - 8.5
Elliot - 7
Milner - 7
Carvalho - 6

Flash ratings

Alisson - 4

Trent - 4
Matip - 6
Virgil - 6
Robbo - 6

Thiago - 5
Fabinho - 5
Henderson - 4

Diaz - 7
Firmino - 4
Salah - 7

Subs
Nunez - 8.5
Elliot - 7
Milner - 7
Carvalho - 6

Henderson hit the bar and played a great pass for the goal. They were far from great, but Hendo had more of an impact than Thiago who was woeful and Fabinho who thought he just had to turn up.

Henderson hit the bar and played a great pass for the goal. They were far from great, but Hendo had more of an impact than Thiago who was woeful and Fabinho who thought he just had to turn up.

It's almost like we need a new centre midfielder. Could argue we need two. Injury prone midfielders in getting injured shock.

In hindsight, should Nunez have started?

Untitled.jpg
In

It was Trents sloppiness and inability to defend a cross to the back post that cost us more than the MF. That said, Fab was adrift, Thiago trying wonder balls to look good then injured, no surprises. Henderson getting bullied. Elliott did well when he came on though.

Didnt think it was a pen, soft as anything, minimal touch but Mitrovic throws himself down. Virgil dangling a leg, why?

Before Nunez came on I dont think we'd hit the target - Diaz off the woodwork was as close as we got. Nunez will work and run into good spaces and so get goals but stop trying the flash finish every time. Calm down and just hit the target. Need to get our psychology guys on him.

As i've said earlier, our system limits and stifles players like Diaz and Salah to cut in from the wings or run to the byline and cross. These are world class dribblers who should be unleashed to do more damage than just stick them on the wings and play like wingers. Look at 23 and 11. Opposition teams are becoming more adept at knowing how to nullify our threat from the wings. This tactic only works when teams park their buses, but Fulham took the game to us and actually played the same tactic we would normally play, against us. And suddenly we looked lost.

When Nunez and Fabio came on, it took the markers and pressure off the wing forwards and they had more room to roam, as well provide an outlet in the centre to thread those through passes.

I'd start Nunez in every game. You don't put an 85M striker on the bench.

The attitude wasn't right across the park.

The midfield lost the midfield battle in the first half. Not aggressive enough and generally pretty arrogant.

Only highlights were Nunez and Elliott. Both deserve to start the next game.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Firmino spends more time outside the box than inside it.

Yes. There were games last season when we were crying out for someone to provide the link between our forwards and midfield and Bobby could do that job pretty well. And now we've got Fabio who's a little like Coutinho, who can play the AM/SS role.

But this game against Fulham, we didn't need that sort of player, because Fulham played with two DMs, which meant Bobby was forced to play closer to the flanks as it was congested in the middle, and our wing forwards had nobody to cross/pass the ball to in the centre. That all changed when Nunez came on and suddenly we had more intensity and urgency because there was a CF running and barging his way into the centre, drawing players onto himself and away from our wing forwards.

I get what your saying. But the tempo was meant to be set by Henderson, it was lacking. A 93rd minute speculative shot isn't going to sway my score.

@mark1975 - totally agree on Hendo, I actually think he was MOM for us, as he was the only midfielder that was awake and had the fight in him. So glad that Klopp took off Fab, and Thiago - well I knew that was coming because the opposition were pushing him too hard and he was having to fight for every pass, which he cannot do for longer than say 20 minutes before getting an injury. But you can expect more of this bollox for the rest of the season, like I have been saying - lots of athletic combative midfields out there, what Fulham did today is what also got us draws last season against so called lesser teams.

We are honestly so so easy to stop in midfield if a team has a go at us, it is a reality that will become more obvious to all of you because:

1) Thiago is a year old, and so is Henderson.

2) There is no Mane to come in and be that part-time Bissouma type for the midfielders because when he was around he would add a bit of aggression when falling deep, and some pace. Also - just to be clear, I don't want that same stuff rom Darwin - and neither do I expect it. That missing role now should be done by the midfielder we did not think was necessary or needed because so many of you convince yourself we have enough fit players - when in reality is that a few more games like this - you will see Fab, and Henderson on the treatment table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom