• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Real Madrid - CL FINAL - Sat 20:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your biggest players need to play at this stage.
He's consistently never done that in finals.
Yes Courtois was brilliant, but he's meant to be one of the best players today ... and he just doesn't show up when we need him most.

This is an understandably emotional reaction. We've played 3 finals this year and failed to score in any of them. Why is Salah being singled out as under performing in finals relative to Mané, Jota, Diaz and Firmino?

Benzema did fuck all tonight too, I doubt Madrid fans will be slagging him off.

Didnt we set a new goal scoring record this season?
Big game players also steps up during penalty shoot outs.

It looked awful out there@tombrown I’m seeing clips of it ..bloody awful
im sorry you experienced that !
hope your ok

This is an understandably emotional reaction. We've played 3 finals this year and failed to score in any of them. Why is Salah being singled out as under performing in finals relative to Mané, Jota, Diaz and Firmino?

Benzema did fuck all tonight too, I doubt Madrid fans will be slagging him off.

Salah is considered our best player.
Salah wants to be paid like one of the best players in the world.
I cannot think of one final where his play dictated a final - he scored a penalty and that's all that sticks out.
Mane is our only big game player ... and I don't know if Diaz or Jota can be that. Never thought Bobby was that kind of player either - he's an enabler (think he's going to be in Divock's role next year)

Question.. What happened to heavy metal football?

We strolled this game, played it the way Madrid wanted. A lot of half hearted effort. Their Keeper was great but many of the shots were savable by any decent keeper.

Salah should have scored that goal. That was the only real chance. We look the same chess players in all finals, and the city match at Maine road. It's like we're afraid to go for it in the big games.

You can't play heavy metal football against a team that stays in a good defensive shape and doesn't overcommit its players going forward. Nobody plays that way in major finals.

I do think we need more urgency in midfield, we've tended to have a lot of sterile possession in big games this season.

281720262_1984305401741090_738789084738324195_n.jpg

UEFA have shifted blame from late fans to fake tickets, good to know they like to get their story straight before they throw out blame. The only thing you can be sure of is that they won't take any responsibility themselves.

There's a few videos of people jumping fences (appears to be the Madrid end).. and running through other security fences (at the Liverpool end).

None of these people have any club colours on. Yet apparently they are 'all Liverpool fans'.

Jesus wept.

That was very frustrating. You could see pretty quickly that their game plan had a solid chance of working.

Feel for the fans who struggled with UEFA incompetence . Feel for players, they gave everything.

You can't play heavy metal football against a team that stays in a good defensive shape and doesn't overcommit its players going forward. Nobody plays that way in major finals.

I do think we need more urgency in midfield, we've tended to have a lot of sterile possession in big games this season.

I dunno man, we've looked very flat in all finals playing other people's games and NO goals. Lots of underperformance. I'd rather play our game and have a better chance of winning

I’ll pop back in and give my opinion as to what happened tonight.

I had a ticket. Turned up in a cab to the ground at 7.10pm (6.10 UK time) - 2 hours to kick off. Driver was shite, dropped is at Real Madrid end. Anyway, we queued to get onto the concourse, numerous paris “locals” trying to pickpocket us, people driving motorcycles into the middle of the crowd etc, police did fuck all. 3 of us got split up, one stayed in that queue and me and the other lad made our way to the Liverpool entry point. That’s where the fun started.

I’ve never been scared for my life at a football game, tonight though was something else. Police were just letting fans up to the concourse, bunking over walls etc. Every Parisian local seemed to be there, right outside the ground. Plus probably some of our fans without tickets. It was a proper crush outside the back of our stand, I was shouting at people to stop pushing, we know better than anyone what fucking happens.

Got through that, made our way to gate A which was our entrance. Madness, shitloads in the queue and it’s 8.20 at this point, 40 mins till kick off. Loads of Paris locals getting lashed out, loads of scousers too. Then next to us, gate B gets kicked in and hundreds dart through there. I stayed in gate A queue as I had a ticket but next minute my eyes are fucking stinging and I’m nearly vomming. Fucking horrible that, we were all queuing nice and peaceful and then next min we are getting tear gassed.

Anyway I fucked off out the queue after that and went and had a bevvy in a bar (10 euro for a carlsberg!) seen it had been delayed by 30 mins so I went back to the gate, got in by 9.40.

Main things to take from what I saw: some of our fans are dickheads. There was prob a fair few who got in there tonight without tickets. I had two lads in my seat when I got in the ground. Paris is a fucking shithole and why the locals are so desperate to get in the ground is beyond me. The police haven’t got a fucking clue and can’t control or cordon off an area. There should have been ticket checks half a mile from the ground (like Kiev)

I’m done with European cup finals now, that’s me 4th one and the fucking worst by far. Shit day all round. Up the fucking reds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I had a ticket. Turned up in a cab to the ground at 7.10pm (6.10 UK time) - 2 hours to kick off. Driver was shite, dropped is at Real Madrid end. Anyway, we queued to get onto the concourse, numerous paris “locals” trying to pickpocket us, people driving motorcycles into the middle of the crowd etc, police did fuck all. 3 of us got split up, one stayed in that queue and me and the other lad made our way to the Liverpool entry point. That’s where the fun started.

I’ve never been scared for my life at a football game, tonight though was something else. Police were just letting fans up to the concourse, bunking over walls etc. Every Parisian local seemed to be there, right outside the ground. Plus probably 20k of our fans without tickets. It was a proper crush outside the back of our stand, I was shouting at people to stop pushing, we know better than anyone what fucking happens.

Got through that, made our way to gate A which was our entrance. Madness, shitloads in the queue and it’s 8.20 at this point, 40 mins till kick off. Loads of Paris locals getting lashed out, loads of scousers too. Then next to us, gate B gets kicked in and hundreds dart through there. I stayed in gate A queue as I had a ticket but next minute my eyes are fucking stinging and I’m nearly vomming. Fucking horrible that, we were all queuing nice and peaceful and then next min we are getting tear gassed.

Anyway I fucked off out the queue after that and went and had a bevvy in a bar (10 euro for a carlsberg!) seen it had been delayed by 30 mins so I went back to the gate, got in by 9.40.

Main things to take from what I saw: some of our fans are dickheads. There was prob 10k who got in there tonight without tickets. Paris is a fucking shithole and why the locals are so desperate to get in the ground is beyond me. The police haven’t got a fucking clue and can’t control or cordon off an area. There should have been ticket checks half a mile from the ground (like Kiev)

I’m done with European cup finals now, that’s me 4th one and the fucking worst by far. Shit day all round. Up the fucking reds

Glad you are ok mate. Horror footage coming out.

I’ve never been scared for my life at a football game, tonight though was something else. Police were just letting fans up to the concourse, bunking over walls etc. Every Parisian local seemed to be there, right outside the ground. Plus probably 20k of our fans without tickets. It was a proper crush outside the back of our stand, I was shouting at people to stop pushing, we know better than anyone what fucking happens.

Main things to take from what I saw: some of our fans are dickheads. There was prob 10k who got in there tonight without tickets. Paris is a fucking shithole and why the locals are so desperate to get in the ground is beyond me. The police haven’t got a fucking clue and can’t control or cordon off an area. There should have been ticket checks half a mile from the ground (like Kiev)

Glad you're alright. What a fiasco, all around.

Glad you're OK, Pete.
What a shit experience.
1. UEFA is such a shit organisation. I hope they'll be sued for this, though I have a feeling they'll get away with that fiasco.
2. People should stop travelling to these events without tickets just for the atmosphere. Why pay overpriced prices and then get this shit? Go to matches at Anfield and in the UK. And if you want "final atmosphere" - LFC should arrange fan zones in Liverpool and have our fans buy from local businesses.

There's a few videos of people jumping fences (appears to be the Madrid end).. and running through other security fences (at the Liverpool end).

None of these people have any club colours on. Yet apparently they are 'all Liverpool fans'.

Jesus wept.
It's as if they don't realise that people have mobile phones that can take video.

The first video I saw was in this thread and it was all RM fans - not a single fan in red and many in white.

Glad you're OK, Pete.
What a shit experience.
1. UEFA is such a shit organisation. I hope they'll be sued for this, though I have a feeling they'll get away with that fiasco.
2. People should stop travelling to these events without tickets just for the atmosphere. Why pay overpriced prices and then get this shit? Go to matches at Anfield and in the UK. And if you want "final atmosphere" - LFC should arrange fan zones in Liverpool and have our fans buy from local businesses.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but this is on French police more than the UEFA, no? There were no comparable issues that I know of in Madrid, Kyiv, Athens or Istanbul. The local authorities are the ones to blame here.

Last edited:

I love Jurgen so much. He wasn’t always like this in his younger years, but now even in toughest moments he never misses the opportunity to be a voice of reason, to inspire and to put a smile on everyone’s face.

Last edited:
Gerrard : "Liverpool didn't do anything wrong. Sometimes you just have to give credit to the keeper who made 2-3 world class saves".

Hargreaves : "Liverpool didn't do much wrong RM were lucky".

Courtois : "they were the dominant team. The save from Mane was the most important because it was early and it would have been very difficult for us" (if Liverpool had scored).

Schmeichel : 3 fantastic saves

Our Xg was 2.14 to 2.6 goals depending on which authority you trust/use.

However if Courtois had not made one of those world class saves and we'd scored then I believe we'd have gone on to win and this whole narrative around RM would be different today. As with the PL, when in retrospect we were 15 mins from the title, such fine margins.

Last edited:
We did look tired and they looked like they’d benefited from a few weeks to rest and practice to get their strategy right for playing us.

Fine margins and all that - but I don’t think we quite have enough - maybe because too many had nothing left to give.

Diaz was quiet, unfortunately and Salah & Jota have struggled for form in the second half of the season.

Thiago wasn’t at his best - too many stray passes and Trent could have done better with his set pieces.

A game too far?

We do need to get better at breaking down “good” teams that sit deep though - we’re missing a trick there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom