• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Brighton (A) - Sun 14:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you want to finish top 3 or compete for 4-5?

Is everything alright where you are mate? Just reading and seeing Netanyahu saying its officially war.
Football isnt important in these moments.

Didnt want to highjack the match thread. Just hope everything is alright.

I think that's fair. Diaz doesn't have the end product, Nunez just isn't clinical at all. We need 3 chances to score 1. I don't think anybody knows what our best XI is yet. We got away with it a few times in the first 6 games, were not getting away with it anymore.
If we need 3 chances to score 1 then that's above average (on average it's 1:4 for most teams).

Do you want to finish top 3 or compete for 4-5?

Don't care if we finish 2nd or 5th so long as we win the EL and EFL/FA cup.

Utd lost 4-0 to these and still finished 3rd last season? They also got battered several other times last season.

Brighton thumped Arsenal at the emirates last season 3-0 and finished 2nd......so why is a point at Brighton a "terrible result"?

Man City could also only get a point there on the last day, they won the title?

Last edited:
Under laws for denying a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity, IFAB explain:

“Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offender is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball or a challenge for the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.), the offending player must be sent off.”

Oh, the other thing, szobo can shoot and runs well, he's a great midfielder. He was a great buy.

Gerrard? Please. I've had enough of all that.

Oh, the other thing, szobo can shoot and runs well, he's a great midfielder. He was a great buy.

Gerrard? Please. I've had enough of all that.

yep. People need to calm down in this regard. Let’s revisit it in ten years

I want anyone that can play a 6 right now and properly, using Mac in that position is just not working, and I think it's wrong to use Curtis in that position or using them as a double pivot. If we can find anyone that is anything like Bissouma at a minimum - I would be happy, if this guy Andre is the real deal - then its worth a punt. Today's game just highlighted the flaws in our defensive game, I know if we did not score that 3rd it would end up in a draw. Brighton were not as adventurous as normal today - they played a clever game of letting us have the ball when they tired, and we had that appearance of trying to work out our identity during that game. I thought it was a mistake for Klopp to sub Elliot for Grav, I thought Grav was a passenger in that 2nd half at least Elliot was doing a lot of running into space etc. For those that argue Elliot was not affective - just remember their goal came from Mac dwindling on the ball, and we went into half-time 2-1 up. We were lazy in that 2nd half, there was a lot of careless passing and losing of the ball, - was angry with Diaz doing his shitty dribbling and shooting and messing things up.

I thought Nunez was great, at least compared to last season where almost every move broke down when the ball reached him. He was strong in holding up the ball and bringing players into play. One of the most complete games I have seen of him in terms of overall play.

Robbo was poor. He was culpable for the player running through his blind side which Ali saved superbly and he was at fault for the second goal. He used to be one of the most reliable defender in our team. This season he's just been a few steps slower to everything.

We need to start defending better to have a chance of a title challenge. Otherwise top 4 is the best we can hope for.

Decent result all things considering. Good to be 3 points off top and only 1 pts behind City instead of 7 pts which we would have expected a bit over a week ago if you told me we got 1 pts from the last 2 fixtures.

We were never winning the league this season but we are building nicely towards a decent challenge next season.

Decent result all things considering. Good to be 3 points off top and only 1 pts behind City instead of 7 pts which we would have expected a bit over a week ago if you told me we got 1 pts from the last 2 fixtures.

We were never winning the league this season but we are building nicely towards a decent challenge next season.
If we can stay within 3-5 points until Jan (which I see no reason why we can't) & then get someone like Andre to galvanise the squad....hopefully keep a relatively clean bill of health and see where it takes us.

If we can stay within 3-5 points until Jan (which I see no reason why we can't) & then get someone like Andre to galvanise the squad....hopefully keep a relatively clean bill of health and see where it takes us.
Anyone we with in Jan for DM (esp a South American who’s never played in Europe) will take minimum half a season to adjust. Target this season is top 5 and have a good crack at a trophy. Anything more is a bonus.

More importantly, it’s another game where @Brizzle’s powers are waining. Not even the pizza making powers of @Bradley couldn’t get us the W. Time for a change?

Anyone we with in Jan for DM (esp a South American who’s never played in Europe) will take minimum half a season to adjust. Target this season is top 5 and have a good crack at a trophy. Anything more is a bonus.
Top 5 lol?

Other than City and Arsenal we're miles above the rest. Finishing below 3rd would be disappointing.

I personally don't believe in this whole adjusting period, think it's a load of old bollocks....if you're good enough you'll settle in and fit in straight away & in any case how would you know this about us seeing as we never fucking sign anyone from outside Europe....

Terrible defending for both goals, first goal Virgil pass to Maca who waited for the ball instead of coming to meet it and then Alisson is not aware, second one is mostly on Andy and the look on his face said it all.
Another unacceptable decision was not to send of Gross for preventing a goal scoring opportunity.

Tightness at the top shows just how fucking important that call at Tottenham is going to be at the business end.

Top 5 lol?

Other than City and Arsenal we're miles above the rest. Finishing below 3rd would be disappointing.

I personally don't believe in this whole adjusting period, think it's a load of old bollocks....if you're good enough you'll settle in and fit in straight away & in any case how would you know this about us seeing as we never fucking sign anyone from outside Europe....
CL qualification is all that matters. 2-5 same same.

Tightness at the top shows just how fucking important that call at Tottenham is going to be at the business end.
Always feels that way until City stretch their legs in the 2nd half of the season.

We are coming but this season is too soon with the amount of change.

Overall I felt a draw was a fair result. We both had a decent chance to win it and both fucked it up. Brighton should have been down to ten, which is a clear gripe, but our performance did not warrant 3 points either. There were two costly errors leading to goals were very easily preventable.

Alisson - 6 - Sublime save for the one on one chance, but he could have done better for their opening. He was out if position but also seemed late to react to the early shot.

Robertson - 3 - A day to forget. He had some reasonable moments in attacking areas but his defending was haphazard. He was most responsible for the equaliser and was bailed out by Allison earlier on.

VVD - 6 - reasonably solid but the pass to Mac Allister was naive and underhit.

Matip - 6 - Showed reasonable signs he's not completely washed.

Trent - 5 - Kept Mitoma relatively quiet in the first half but there were the routine lapses of concentration throughout. He doesn't seem to be able to control games in the way he was doing last year. It all feels a bit disappointing.

Mac Allister - 3 - He got targeted but Brighton was a step too far for his ability at six. They triggered their press all around him and he flustered. His lack of pace, strength and athletism was costly. Endo should have started in hindsight.

Elliott - 4 - some neat moments of interplay and he deserves credit for the opening goal, but it was a largely ineffectual performance in and out of possession. No surprise to see him getting pulled at HT.

Szoboszlai - 6 - Mixed bag. The work rate was all there, but things didn't seem to come off for him with the ball.

Diaz - 6 - Some good moments in the deeper areas and helped us progress play down the left, but ultimately he didn't create much down the left side.

Nunez - 6 - I do not recall him getting a real chance, but his link up play was the best I've seen it. He looks more comfortable with his back to goal. I only remember one Donkey touch.

Salah - 7 - Some infuriating moments where he ran into brick walls, but he scored two goals and was probably our best bet for a third.

Subs

Gravernberch - 7 - continued to impress. The missed chance was a bitch, but he is becoming very influential in the final third. We looked better for him being on the pitch.

Konate - 5

Gomez - 3 - Someone was worse than Trent in defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom