• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Brighton (A) - Sun 14:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brizzle

Deposed match thread starter
Redemption time.. but for who?

Brighton need to fight back from a 6-1 drubbing and we have the VAR charade to rise up against.

Trent is back which is great. I wonder if Matip will get sent out as a show of solidarity, although I don't think Matip can operate in that RCB role if Trent is the RB.

For me it should be:

Alisson

Trent
Konate
Virgil
Robbo

Mac Allister
Szoboszlai
Gravenberch (he's earned this and is most similar to Jones)

Salah
Nunez
Diaz

Easy picking the front three with Gakpo & Jota out. Only change in midfield I could see is Endo at DM and Mac Allister as the RCM.

Agree with the team. Brighton played a full strength team away to Marseille yesterday and Estupinan is injured. Have a good feeling about this one.

Nunez doesn't tend to start away games ... so I'm going with below with Nunez to come in 2nd half, if needed.

Alisson

Trent
Konate
Virgil
Robbo

Mac Allister
Endo
Gravenberch

Szoboszlai
Salah
Diaz

Forward depth really is our trump card, you think you’ve handled that 3? ok here’s another 2 or 3 that are fresh and probably just as good.

Shame that’s not in place for this match

After last night's performance, deffo think Gravenberch should start this weekend. Only question is should it be Nunez or Jota up top
Alisson

Trent
Konate
Virgil
Robbo

Gravenberch
Mac Allister
Szoboszlai

Salah
Nunez
Diaz​

After last night's performance, deffo think Gravenberch should start this weekend. Only question is should it be Nunez or Jota up top
Alisson

Trent
Konate
Virgil
Robbo

Gravenberch
Mac Allister
Szoboszlai

Salah
Nunez
Diaz​
We need 4 in MF, and leave Nunez and Salah up top with Diaz coming on at the 60th minute

Short turnaround so minutes played has to be a consideration (even though it was a stroll in the park energy-wise).

Alisson

Trent
Matip
VvD
Robbo

Mac Allister
Szoboszlai
Gravenberch

Salah
Nunez
Diaz

Clearly we'll be back to winning 3-1 (Mo x2, Nunez).

Last edited:
Note also that Brighton did NOT play well vs Marseille. They got away with one and had to expend a LOT of energy in the 2nd half to come from 2-0 down. They also have a short turnaround and played their first team at Marseille with the toughest period of the game being the last 20 mins for them.

De Zerbi said: "I think we played not well, but I’m really proud and really happy for the character for the attitude we showed. It’s a tough period for us. We are not playing so well like last season or one month ago. It’s a tough period because we have to adapt, we have to improve to progress. We have to play three games per week every week. We are playing many games and we have to adapt in this case."

This week they'll have lost 6-1 at Villa, followed by 2-2 at Marseille ... and then us !

Always thought European football would catch up with Brighton this season.

Hopefully it plays out this weekend.

Be nice to stuff them.

Forward depth really is our trump card, you think you’ve handled that 3? ok here’s another 2 or 3 that are fresh and probably just as good.

Shame that’s not in place for this match

True, but we can use Doak who is direct and pacy, plus we have seen Szobo successfully redeployed up front late in games so we could do both of those things.

Their keeper looks an absolute mess, made a few howlers the past few games. Estupinan out for a month, Enciso still out too.

Team picks itself: Ali Trent Matip Virgil Robbo Endo Szozo Mac Salah Nunez Diaz.

Couple of early goals would be nice, kill the mood of the crowd.

We did alright away to Newcastle with 10 and without Jones.
True, but in light of what @Frogfish has posted - regarding Brighton's current condition - I would like to change my prediction to a 5 or 6 nil win to us. If Froggy has got his info correct - I think we will destroy them, I also forgot to add into the equation that our players will be feeling a high level of injustice for last weeks Spurs game, and will be very angry and focussed on nothing but complete destruction of the next PL team they face. I am expecting complete extinction of Seagulls from this Earth by the time the game is over on Sunday.

After being humiliated by Villa followed by a sluggish performance in the EL, it could be an opportune time to play Brighton.

I think Gravernberch has done enough to justify a starting position over Endo with Mac Allister at six, but give the substitutions it seems likely Endo is already starting for Brighton.

Anyway, I'm hopeful of three points but we'll have to dial it up at notch.

I really hope that Brighton play the way they did versus villa. They were so easy to counter and press.

We’ll be wary of Brighton’s strengths and key threats, it’s almost impossible not to be but it’s more about how we impose our game…more we can do so the less chance they have to impose theirs.

I quite like reading this guy's (Jones) predictions on Sky :

Grab some popcorn. Settle in for some box office action.
Regular readers (hello mum) will be aware of my tendency to side with Brighton when priced up as outsiders, but I'm resisting the urge here as Liverpool's firepower is just too hot to ignore. The lack of chemistry and balance in the Brighton midfield is causing huge issues for them in conceding an alarming amount of high probability chances.
That's led to 14 goals conceded in their seven Premier League games and with a emotionally sapping 2-2 draw in Marseille still fresh in the legs, I'm worried for them against Jurgen Klopp's attack, who have scored in their last 20 games in all competitions and at least three times in seven of their last 11 fixtures. The 11/10 with Sky Bet on an away win looks one of the best bets of the weekend.
SCORE PREDICTION: 1-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom