• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ugarte, take 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member

View: https://x.com/LFCTransferRoom/status/1805744865646461355

I think this guy makes a lot of sense for us. He’s not a classic #6 controller type, more of an Uruguaian Declan Rice who likes to roam about and tackle anything that moves. I regretted us not getting him early last window; if PSG want to let him go their loss can be our gain.

Pair him with a more technical passing midfielder in a double-pivot and you’ll feel a lot more secure in your midfield. In time, perhaps he can also be developed into a pure #6, the same way as Fabinho. His combination of atheticism and natural aggression is higher than any of our current midfield options, so it feels like a valuable ingredient to add to the mix.

I'm still at a loss as to why PSG are happy to trade. He looks perfect, so ..... what's the deal?

PSG fans not been impressed.

Poor on the ball, doesn't progress the play and undisciplined.

(comments from PSG fans, I haven't watched him myself)

I don't think we will ever sign a purely defensive player like this.

The reason I think that is because we don't train any of our academy players to play like this. Ever.

Maybe we should but it is what it is

I wouldnt trust a player assessment from PSG (either fans or managers). Players go to that club to die. Just look at Fabian Ruiz. Has looked a shadow of the player he is and then you can see his quality when playing for Spain in the Euros.

Ugarte could be a great signing I think.

Can’t we sign the next R9 instead ? I think I’m done with mediocre players who blow hot and cold.

Surely there’s a generational talent out there in some slum waiting to be discovered and scouted.

I haven't followed his performance at PSG closely, so I'm also curious why they're willing to let him go so soon. He was the defensive midfielder many of us wanted a year ago, and now he's available at the same price. I do not recall any substantial links to him from our side; it seemed more like fan discussions rather than concrete interest, but I could be wrong. He might not have been fit for a 4-3-3, but in a 4-2-3-1, the player profile requirements shift, along with the data, so that could open things up for Ugarte.

Hypothetically, keeping Endo for a few more years could allow him and Bajcetic to settle into deeper roles. With a mix of Mac Allister, and possibly Gravenberch, Jones and Trent alongside him then I'd be confident in our ability to control the midfield more often than not. Whether our attack is potent enough to build up from wider, deeper positions is another matter, but that's a discussion for another day. Whatever happens, it's going to need some hard work on the training ground and the players will need to be switched on and open-minded.

If he’s not good on the ball or progressing play then there’s no way he’s being signed to play in a Slot team and it also means he’s absolutely not a Uruguayan Declan Rice.

If he’s not good on the ball or progressing play then there’s no way he’s being signed to play in a Slot team and it also means he’s absolutely not a Uruguayan Declan Rice.

He’s at least as good on the ball as Declan Rice.

PSG fans not been impressed.

Poor on the ball, doesn't progress the play and undisciplined.

(comments from PSG fans, I haven't watched him myself)
That was my view of him when everyone was hyped about him last summer before he went to PSG . My view came from the clips that were shown by different sources to justify him for us. When I saw those clips I saw a guy that just liked to tackle and then show that he is a fucking shit footballer with zero skill of any sort.

We aren't signing him off the back of a tournament though.

We've been monitoring him for about 2 years(?) now.

The usual process is to monitor for 2 years, consider for 1 year, express serious interest for a further 6 months, then watch Arsenal or Chelsea sign the player.

We aren't signing him off the back of a tournament though.

We've been monitoring him for about 2 years(?) now.

The usual process is to monitor for 2 years, consider for 1 year, express serious interest for a further 6 months, then watch Arsenal or Chelsea sign the player.
From what is being reported it seems Dan Ashworth is pushing for De Ligt & Ugarte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom