• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match Pre Season Friendly - Sevilla (H) - Sunday 12:30

Haven’t read the comments, but watched the match in full.

Settled back line, we’re into possession football rather than direct, so it’s all good until we fuck up playing out from the back.

I thought Gravy was good.

Mac A, first game back, not reading too much in to it… but MIA.

Slobbers… not involved enough

Jota… good! - that central role requires someone good at moving about and who’s clinical,m at finishing because we’re going to get less chances next season
Noticed you did not mention Curtis, was that because he played brilliantly and better than the rest of them in our team ?

Nunez should've just been sold really, shouldn't he? Done basically nothing to merit a third season, but it is what it is eh. Maybe we get a miracle and he actually stops being a moron from now on.

I think the lack of focus on improving our forward line has been really weird. Nunez is shit, Jota is always injured, and Salah is old and our only RWF.

Why hasn't it been addressed? I don't get it.

Yep, if Klopp had stayed and we got an acceptable offer then I think few would disagree, especially after the drama at the Copa. From the clubs POV i think they will want to see if Slot can get something from him that Klopp could not. The link up play of Nunez did improve last year and his English has developed, but Klopp and his coaching staff have failed with improving his finishing, and generally speaking Klopp only partly successfully transitioned away from his first great side. We'll never really know what his long term vision was with it. It's kinda been left to Slot to kinda figure out. Whilst Slot has inherited a squad that can challenge for a title until the later stages it was always a squad and a style that was one in transition albeit one that featured some experienced top class players. The plan for Nunez, and Gakpo, always felt disjointed, it was like we were lumping them into Bobbys role and then wondering why the attack wasn't clicking. Hopefully Slott has a better vision for Nunez, but I would not bet against him doing something mental and sabotaging his career (again)!

Yep, if Klopp had stayed and we got an acceptable offer then I think few would disagree, especially after the drama at the Copa. From the clubs POV i think they will want to see if Slot can get something from him that Klopp could not. The link up play of Nunez did improve last year and his English has developed, but Klopp and his coaching staff have failed with improving his finishing, and generally speaking Klopp only partly successfully transitioned away from his first great side. We'll never really know what his long term vision was with it. It's kinda been left to Slot to kinda figure out. Whilst Slot has inherited a squad that can challenge for a title until the later stages it was always a squad and a style that was one in transition albeit one that featured some experienced top class players. The plan for Nunez, and Gakpo, always felt disjointed, it was like we were lumping them into Bobbys role and then wondering why the attack wasn't clicking. Hopefully Slott has a better vision for Nunez, but I would not bet against him doing something mental and sabotaging his career (again)!

My bet is he'll just have another poor 10 goal season and be sold next summer.

What did we learn today? Not sure what the 5pn game was about beyond a run around for some of our other players

Bajcetic isn’t ready, dude gives away passes for fun. Quansah is starting material, has all the ability to go to the very top.

We actually looked ok start of 2nd half when we built with 3 at the back and Trent went into midfield with Mac and Grav.

We'll got bummed by a good pressing side
I think the poor habits will take some getting rid of. A number of players are seemingly not aware of what’s around them, crucially before they receive a pass, and getting hassled out of possession or, before they pass the ball, passing to an opponent.

I think the poor habits will take some getting rid of. A number of players are seemingly not aware of what’s around them, crucially before they receive a pass, and getting hassled out of possession or, before they pass the ball, passing to an opponent.
aqua2.png

160315-indiana-jones-harrison-ford-205p.jpg

images

NDI2Ny5qcGVn.jpeg

Doak's dribbling ability is really excellent.

Ability to beat a man is really underrated by internet football fans, and "end product" is very overrated.

If you can glide past a man or two, that almost IS an end product. Making the final pass when you're inside the box with your marker on his arse is trivial compared to right out on the wing being covered by a couple of defenders.

Obviously ideally you want both, but the sheer ability to create chaos by taking a defender out of the game is almost totally discounted by most fans, from what I can see. That's stupid.

Doak's dribbling ability is really excellent.

Ability to beat a man is really underrated by internet football fans, and "end product" is very overrated.

If you can glide past a man or two, that almost IS an end product. Making the final pass when you're inside the box with your marker on his arse is trivial compared to right out on the wing being covered by a couple of defenders.

Obviously ideally you want both, but the sheer ability to create chaos by taking a defender out of the game is almost totally discounted by most fans, from what I can see. That's stupid.

Nah. End product trumps dribbling every day of the week. Least for me "end product" means laying on a decent goal scoring opportunity, or taking a low risk high percentage shot. Leaving a defender on his arse means nothing, if all you do is make a poor pass or make a poor decision. Today doak did it a few times. Dazzling feet to get in to a decent position; fucks the pass up, or holds on to the ball to long, or in 1 instance turns around when a 1 on 1 shot presented itself. Jones gets a load of shite for not knowing when to release the ball, but by christ i've not seen a player hold on to it like doak since prime yossi "i can beat him 3 times then fuck up the easy bit" benayoun

Nah. End product trumps dribbling every day of the week. Least for me "end product" means laying on a decent goal scoring opportunity, or taking a low risk high percentage shot. Leaving a defender on his arse means nothing, if all you do is make a poor pass or make a poor decision. Today doak did it a few times. Dazzling feet to get in to a decent position; fucks the pass up, or holds on to the ball to long, or in 1 instance turns around when a 1 on 1 shot presented itself. Jones gets a load of shite for not knowing when to release the ball, but by christ i've not seen a player hold on to it like doak since prime yossi "i can beat him 3 times then fuck up the easy bit" benayoun

You're missing the point.

Being able to consistently beat a man is rare. Creating a chance after beating a man is WAAAAY easier.

Even if a player who can beat a man is significantly worse at making an effective final pass, the fact that his task is so much easier means that on balance he may be just as effective as an attacker who is good at making an effective final pass but whose opportunities for doing so are WAAAAY harder.

The two skills are each potentially very useful. I'm saying only one seems to be valued, and that is an error.

Nah, you’d rather have a creative winger than just a dribler. Just look at Doku.

Doak needs to up his game and produce some end product. He also needs to improve his game intelligence and stop taking extra toucher.

Nah, you’d rather have a creative winger than just a dribler. Just look at Doku.

Doak needs to up his game and produce some end product. He also needs to improve his game intelligence and stop taking extra toucher.

Is Doak just a white Doku? 🙂

My 2 cents, even though I do appreciate @peterhague’s point, is that nothing in football is “easy.” Great final pass players like Salah or Elliott make it look simple, but football history is littered with skeletons of wingers who could do the “hard” part of beating a man and never figured out the supposedly “easy” part. So maybe it’s not so easy after all 🙂

Is Doak just a white Doku? 🙂

My 2 cents, even though I do appreciate @peterhague’s point, is that nothing in football is “easy.” Great final pass players like Salah or Elliott make it look simple, but football history is littered with skeletons of wingers who could do the “hard” part of beating a man and never figured out the supposedly “easy” part. So maybe it’s not so easy after all 🙂

Doak is young though. He has been injured a lot but have to say he hasnt improved as much as you’d hope. Just look at the likes of Nyoni. Players develop differently obviously but Doak needs a season long loan and play regularly. Then we’ll see next summer.

Same old.

Pretty sure Matip at Quansah's age wasn't near the Matip you romanticise in your head.
You're right, he wasn't. He was prone to make the occasional mistake. Took a few years but he got it out of his system.
Still that was Schalke. Is LFC at their level?

My point was and still is, Quansah is a very good 3rd choice defender at the moment, but he shouldn't be starting. We already have Konaté, who I believe is better.

Konate is more prone to mistakes. He’s now in a habit of trying to fight for everything.

Back
Top Bottom