• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Match Thread [Dee can suck it - Friendly] Real Betis (N) 19:30 EDT (00:30 BST)

Slot teams score a lot of goals. That wont be a problem but there will be a transition periode while we settle the team I reckon.
Can see us being tighter at the back though and control the game more with slow build ups.

All in all a very positive start.

The need for a 6, LB and RW is telling though.

Sepp look like a 20 mill defender. I’d still sell and get a LCB/LB that would be an upgrade on Kostas

I dont think you can conclude with the CF after this friendly as Slot played 2 x 10s because the lack of forward in the team.

Slot football works even better with two pacey wingers and there is a perfect role for Gakpo/Gordon/Kudus/Mbuemo who will recieve the ball high and 1v1 with the full back. You didnt see that yesterday because of Carvalho not being that type of player.

The quick box passing between CBs and CMs created loads of chances to attack the final third but again we lacked players.
The goal was a perfect example of the correct combination. Nyoni forward pass, link up Szobo and Salah.

We’ll create loads of chances going forward and we wont be in trouble as you allude to manily because the team against Ipswich will have the right Slot profiles.

Really encouraging to see how controlled our defence and defending is shaping up to be. Not many shots conceded yesterday and you can see why Slot’s teams have been on top in those stats.

The need for a 6 is very clear. Endo isnt good enough to be a starter given the responsibility to resist press, tackle and pass in tight areas.
A Zubimendi type would be fantastic.

Slot shows that he’s an excellent tactician in this game and that they prepared well for how Betis set up. Bigger test against Arsenal.

Let me clarify a few things I said as I think you’re slightly misunderstanding them or I’m not quite being clear (entirely possible).

I like the passing out of defence - what I’m alluding to is there are some really good high line intensive pressing team in England and if we’re going to play our way through them, we’re going to have to have very technically gifted players. We do have a fair few of these, but what I’m saying is, this is the change in style for us (a Klopp team would not hesitate to go long) - there’s going to a bedding in period and we’re going to get done from time to time, partition the early days, by teams pressing us.

Now.. we want them to press us high, because if we can play through them, we’ll get at them and if it’s short passing it’s more controlled and our percentage change of holding on to the ball is higher than if we go direct.

Risk and reward, same as Klopp-ball, just different.

With regards to the forwards - we’re going to play a box midfield - that’s not based on one game, that’s based on all the analysis I’ve watched on how Slot sets his teams up.

So… to create a box you need 4 players and we play with 3 in midfield - so a player has to drift into a central midfield position from either FB or CF - it can’t be a CB stepping forward because then we’d have 1 at the back and it’s not going to be a wide forward because none of them have the skills profile to do it (except Gakpo) but we know Slot likes his wide forwards to stay in the attacking zone.

So, we’re either going to see an inverted FB or a False 9 - personally I think we’ll see both - but if it’s a False 9, our best player for that is Gakpo - Jota maybe, but dropping deep isn’t his ideal position and it’s definitely not Darwin’s bag.

That’s not to say Slot will always set up like that - because he’ll vary things more than Klopp, I think, but I think we’ll see it a fair bit.

I think that’s why we’re targeting Gordon for the left, because we think he can deliver more goals than Diaz while also offering width. We might be going back to a Darwin on the left debate soon.

Salah’s staying out on the right - so that box is only going to be made by Gakpo/Jota dropping deep when Trent isn’t inverting from RB.

I’m interested to see how he works that all out. That forward will have to good at dropping deep AND running atvtge back line - which is why I think Jota & Gakpo are better suited to a Slot team.

Jota will be in the team next friendly so i guess we’ll see a different approach against Arsenal.

In general i expect to have more 0-0 frustrations with possession based footy where defences can frustrate us, and a higher reliance on scoring from 20-25 yards

Back to the glory days of scoring bangers. Get in

Also, clean sheet and a goal; a perfect debut from the Dirty Slots.

Nyoni looks a cut above everyone, so composed, always looking to thread the ball and not afraid to get stuck in. Endo, SVB and Jones looked off the pace in that system.

Let me clarify a few things I said as I think you’re slightly misunderstanding them or I’m not quite being clear (entirely possible).

I like the passing out of defence - what I’m alluding to is there are some really good high line intensive pressing team in England and if we’re going to play our way through them, we’re going to have to have very technically gifted players. We do have a fair few of these, but what I’m saying is, this is the change in style for us (a Klopp team would not hesitate to go long) - there’s going to a bedding in period and we’re going to get done from time to time, partition the early days, by teams pressing us.

Now.. we want them to press us high, because if we can play through them, we’ll get at them and if it’s short passing it’s more controlled and our percentage change of holding on to the ball is higher than if we go direct.

Risk and reward, same as Klopp-ball, just different.

With regards to the forwards - we’re going to play a box midfield - that’s not based on one game, that’s based on all the analysis I’ve watched on how Slot sets his teams up.

So… to create a box you need 4 players and we play with 3 in midfield - so a player has to drift into a central midfield position from either FB or CF - it can’t be a CB stepping forward because then we’d have 1 at the back and it’s not going to be a wide forward because none of them have the skills profile to do it (except Gakpo) but we know Slot likes his wide forwards to stay in the attacking zone.

So, we’re either going to see an inverted FB or a False 9 - personally I think we’ll see both - but if it’s a False 9, our best player for that is Gakpo - Jota maybe, but dropping deep isn’t his ideal position and it’s definitely not Darwin’s bag.

That’s not to say Slot will always set up like that - because he’ll vary things more than Klopp, I think, but I think we’ll see it a fair bit.

I think that’s why we’re targeting Gordon for the left, because we think he can deliver more goals than Diaz while also offering width. We might be going back to a Darwin on the left debate soon.

Salah’s staying out on the right - so that box is only going to be made by Gakpo/Jota dropping deep when Trent isn’t inverting from RB.

I’m interested to see how he works that all out. That forward will have to good at dropping deep AND running atvtge back line - which is why I think Jota & Gakpo are better suited to a Slot team.

Based on how Giménez played for Slot I think you’ll see less dropping down from the CF and more running into channels, making runs in behind. Darwin/Jota will work fine there.

The FBs will invert higher up the pitch. Good for Trent but not a good fit for Kostas/Robbo. Hence the need for a LCB/LB.

Gakpo will be played at LW I reckon, and it wouldnt surprise me if Jota is our starting CF against Ipswich.

Nyoni looks a cut above everyone, so composed, always looking to thread the ball and not afraid to get stuck in. Endo, SVB and Jones looked off the pace in that system.

Thought about it after the game but it was insane to see the ease that Nyoni took control of the game. Those seconds he holds onto the ball and then releases it at the perfect time is class and so natural. 17 years old, fucking hell. Fantastic talent.

Based on how Giménez played for Slot I think you’ll see less dropping down from the CF and more running into channels, making runs in behind. Darwin/Jota will work fine there.

The FBs will invert higher up the pitch. Good for Trent but not a good fit for Kostas/Robbo. Hence the need for a LCB/LB.

Gakpo will be played at LW I reckon, and it wouldnt surprise me if Jota is our starting CF against Ipswich.

That does make sense.

He might create the forward part of the midfield box with Trent inverting there - that works - but only if Salah stays out wide - which Won’t always happen - hence why Ivtjink we’ll have fluid system with the CF also dropping deep on occassion.

Incidentally, i see the Kobbie Nyoni hype train is picking up steam. Good good.

On a positive note, the future looks bright.
We have a really talented group of 17-22 year olds like Bajcetic, Nyoni, Bradley, Van den Berg, Quansah, Elliott, Morton and Doak.

Really liked Van den Berg, but Morton surprised me the most to be honest, yes even more than Nyoni. He looked so good on the ball. Had vision, timing, control, defending, it was all there. Maybe my expectations were too low, but from what I saw last night, the lad can play.

Anyway, sad part is that I can't find a spot for him in the team since we're stacked in midfield.

Will be sad to see him go, hopefully another loan move so we can assess him again next summer.

Well… at least we’ve gotten past the first actual pre-season friendly without anyone calling fir Slot to be sacked.

I fell asleep during HT, but it's been pleasing to wake up and see Nyonis performance. He keeps on impressing and looks so naturally gifted on tbe ball.

We seemed to be building up in a 2-4-2-2 formation with two tens and the most advanced attackers pinned to the flanks. There's little to be gained from reading into attacking patterns when there was no striker, though. That said there were some early signs in changes in how the team are progressing the play from the back and between the likes.

Atmosphere was disappointing. Given we were taking a very limited squad surely it was better to play where we have a more established following. The attendance was respectable so maybe the ground was just too big and tickets overpriced.

On a positive note, the future looks bright.
We have a really talented group of 17-22 year olds like Bajcetic, Nyoni, Bradley, Van den Berg, Quansah, Elliott, Morton and Doak.

Really liked Van den Berg, but Morton surprised me the most to be honest, yes even more than Nyoni. He looked so good on the ball. Had vision, timing, control, defending, it was all there. Maybe my expectations were too low, but from what I saw last night, the lad can play.

Anyway, sad part is that I can't find a spot for him in the team since we're stacked in midfield.

Will be sad to see him go, hopefully another loan move so we can assess him again next summer.

Danns will be upset after reading this post.

Back
Top Bottom