• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Torres on Villa

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author=keniget link=topic=34189.msg890629#msg890629 date=1245325348]
[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=34189.msg890620#msg890620 date=1245324327]
couldn't tell you. That has a certain appeal surely? a striker that needs next to no time to get back up to speed after an injury.
anyway back to villa v eto'o, it's a close one but eto'o (imho) takes it because he is a great goal scorer and a scorer of great goals, he scores in big games (finals, derbies) and he is bigger and stronger and argubly quicker.
[/quote]

You can guess though.

I think that not getting injured in the first place probably has greater appeal, but yes, good players are expected to perform after returning from injuries and Eto'o does that.

Your original argument was based on Eto'o having a better scoring record and that scoring records are all that matter. We've seen that there really isn't much in their scoring records, particularly when you take into account that Eto'o has been playing for super attacking, title winning, plaudit taking Barcelona where yes he has been the focal point of the attack. Villa on the other hand has been scoring for a Valencia side that has been in crisis for the last few years under several managers.

Great goalscorer and scorer of great goals? Can apply to Villa as well. Lovely goal he scored form the halfway line a couple seasons ago.

Scores in big games? Well, as said, Villa doesn't play for a title winning side, but I remember him scoring in the Copa Del Rey final against R.Madrid (?) a few years ago. He is also now the 2nd highest goalscorer for the national side ever and was their key goalscorer in Euro2008.

I don't really have an opinion one way or the other, but the arguments you put to Molby in favour of Eto'o weren't very good.
[/quote]

I knew eto'o had scored more than villa but I freely admit it's close.
I don't buy into the 'eto'o plays for the super duper barca but poor old villa plays for the shit valencia' as I said the attack is focus on villa whereas there is a three pronged attack of barca. how do we know eto'o sheer pace and power would get him more goals if he were THE main focus in a 'rubbish' valencia team.

As for villa's goal against real madrid, how many goals has he scored against barca and real in the league? A lot? we KNOW scored on the big stage we on the other hand are speculation whether villa can do other than the goal you mentioned.

Also there didn't seem a counter argument for eto'o's pace, power and work rate, someone mentioned technique, well eto'o is no slouch there either and equally has the ability to drift wide.

[quote author=Paddy link=topic=34189.msg890631#msg890631 date=1245325696]
To sum up Keni's post...

Spider-Neil=Fail
[/quote]

how do you work that one out? I made an arguement and keni made a counter arguement, in no way shape or form does keni's post prove villa is better than eto'o which is my arguement.

This "score against the big teams" is a rubbish debate.
If we had of scored against the supposed smaller teams a few more times last season we would have won the league. But we couldn't.

Goals are goals, regardless of the opposition.

Also there didn't seem a counter argument for eto'o's pace, power and work rate, someone mentioned technique, well eto'o is no slouch there either and equally has the ability to drift wide.

Given that you said that goalscoring ability is the only criteria to judge a forward on, I didn't see the need.

Villa is better, anybody who thinks differently is a deluded moron and evil as well and fucks small animals while wearing lipstick in the mirror and has aids and is a secret man U fan and cried when ronaldo was sold.

There said it.

They're both *fantastic* strikers who would walk into the first team of any club in the world.

However if we're talking about hypothetical transfers to LFC then Villa is the stand-out candidate for heaps of reasons

[quote author=keniget link=topic=34189.msg890659#msg890659 date=1245327095]

Given that you said that goalscoring ability is the only criteria to judge a forward on, I didn't see the need.
[/quote]

a typo, I meant are(N'T) the be all and end all. check my post I corrected it.

Heh, I only wanted to play devils advocate for a little bit. It's getting petty now!

"erm? their scoring ratio for the last five years?"

Spidey bases his argument on goal scoring records.

"goals aren't the be all and end all but in regards to forwards it may as well be."

Spidey suggests that as far as forwards go, goals may as well be the "be all and end all". Eto'o and Vill are forwards, aren't they?

[quote author=keniget link=topic=34189.msg890704#msg890704 date=1245331615]
Heh, I only wanted to play devils advocate for a little bit. It's getting petty now!

"erm? their scoring ratio for the last five years?"

Spidey bases his argument on goal scoring records.

"goals aren't the be all and end all but in regards to forwards it may as well be."

Spidey suggests that as far as forwards go, goals may as well be the "be all and end all". Eto'o and Vill are forwards, aren't they?
[/quote]

I already said I conceed their scoring ratio is closing than I thought it was, so beyond that what do you have? physical attributes? big game mentality? big team/small team set up?
keni can you put forward evidence that villa is definately better than eto'o?

john barnes said in an interview (when asked to compare great strikers) you have fowler/rush/owen, all of them are getting 30 goals a season, which is the better striker? he picked rush and chose reasons beyond goals why he thought that.
I thought goals would be enough to seperate eto'o from villa but villa is more prolific than I thought so I put forth an argument beyond goals. I've done that after you posted villa/eto'o stats side by side.

Eto'o is one of the top #9's around - only Torres is at the same level. He offers great work rate up front and I love his hunger for scoring goals. Villa I would say is the better finisher of the two and has a bit more about him when he drops deep.

I already said that I have no real strong opinion on the matter. I was just playing devils advocate so to speak in order to extract a better argument in favour of Eto'o, which as you said above, you've now put forward. There is no 'evidence' to support an argument that one is definitely better than the other. It's just going to be a matter of opinion.

[quote author=keniget link=topic=34189.msg890759#msg890759 date=1245334715]
Eto'o is one of the top #9's around - only Torres is at the same level. He offers great work rate up front and I love his hunger for scoring goals. Villa I would say is the better finisher of the two and has a bit more about him when he drops deep.

I already said that I have no real strong opinion on the matter. I was just playing devils advocate so to speak in order to extract a better argument in favour of Eto'o, which as you said above, you've now put forward. There is no 'evidence' to support an argument that one is definitely better than the other. It's just going to be a matter of opinion.
[/quote]

I agree. I'd also say its quite possible eto'o would settle better has he has more bulk and can hold off challenges. la liga is a top league but it is definately slower paced and virtually all challenges are punished. obviously I'd be delighted with villa having said all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom