• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

FERNANDO TORRES EXCLUSIVE 'Liverpool are on verge of something great'

Status
Not open for further replies.

the count

SCM's least favourite muppet- There was a poll
Honorary Member
By CHRIS BASCOMBE, 06/06/2009

Liverpool's accountants issued a chilling statement last Friday, admitting there is "significant doubt" whether the company can "continue as a going concern" because of the club's debts.

But Spanish striker Torres, who has agreed a new four-year deal, insists there is no other club he wants to play for.

In an exclusive News of the World interview, Torres declared: "There is nowhere else in Europe I want to be.

"I believe we are on the verge of something special here and I am delighted to commit my future to this club."

Kop skipper Steven Gerrard, Dirk Kuyt, Daniel Agger and boss Rafa Benitez have also all committed their long-term futures to Merseyside.

And Torres added: "You would not get top players signing new contracts if they did not think there were good times ahead. I expect many trophies for Liverpool in the years to come.

"The manager will know what he wants and what areas he wants to improve next season and whatever he decides we know it will be the right choice because all the players and staff here have total trust in him.

"Our aim has to be the best. If we have no desire to be the best in England and in Europe then there is no point even turning up for work."

Torres' 'don't panic' vow will be a massive relief to Reds' fans who feared the club's financial mess may result in having to flog their best players.

"The directors have initiated negotiations to secure the replacement finance required by the group and these negotiations are ongoing.

"These conditions indicate the existence of a material uncertainty which may cast significant doubt on the group's and parent company's ability to continue as a going concern."

In April, the Hicks Sports Group defaulted on repaying loans totalling £354m for his other sports ventures in the States.

Even if the £350m debt is refinanced by next month's deadline, there are also fears Benitez will have little money to spend in the summer's transfer market.

He has already lost long-term target Gareth Barry, the Aston Villa midfielder snubbing Anfield to join Manchester City. Fellow target Carlos Tevez is set to join Barry at Eastlands, while unsettled Xabi Alonso is edging closer to an exit.

But Torres is adamant Liverpool are on the verge of greatness.

He added: "I don't say it lightly, but we must think we can be as good or even better than Champions League winners Barcelona. It's the belief of everybody at this club that we can become the best and I think we have really moved forward in the last two seasons.

"Liverpool are just as famous as Barcelona as a football club and even more famous trophy-wise. But we want to make Liverpool as successful in this era as they were in the 70s and 80s.

"What Barca did in Rome to win the European Cup was an absolute masterclass of football. Teams can beat Manchester United but how many teams can you say make them look that ordinary?

"That is exactly what happened. Andres Iniesta and Xavi were fantastic, the best central midfield performance I have ever seen.

"They are the best central midfield in world football for me at the moment. Manchester United with all their class and talent just had no answer to them."

The tragedy of Liverpool's season is Barca weren't the only team to humble United last season. Liverpool's 4-1 win at Old Trafford was the catalyst for the most serious Anfield title bid in 19 years, although Liverpool still fell short in the end, losing out to their arch-rivals by four points.

Torres added: "We came very close this season and next season, with the experience we now have, we know we can go one better. Manchester United are very strong but we will improve and will have more about us next year.

Excuses

"We were unlucky with injuries this season. I am not making excuses but things could have been different. The manager is building and I expect many trophies for Liverpool in the years to come.

"Winning Euro 2008 with Spain was amazing and it made me understand how good the feeling of winning is. It has made me even more hungry for FA Cups, Premier League titles, European Cups - I want them all. And I want to win them all with Liverpool."

[quote author=Torres link=topic=34033.msg883523#msg883523 date=1244326297]"Our aim has to be the best. If we have no desire to be the best in England and in Europe then there is no point even turning up for work."
[/quote]

THIS is why I love the man in an only-slightly-homo way. While we may need to be realistic about how fierce our competition is and how difficult it is to be the best, this is the attitude we (as a club) must have to achieve the highest honours.

No we dont, we need 1 Reina, 4 Carra's, 4 Gerrards & 2 Torres.

Like this:

Reina
Carra Carra Carra Carra
Stevie Stevie
Torres Stevie Stevie
Torres

That team'd win the league, excusing perhaps Carra's legs, so whilst we're in make believe land make Carra 3 years younger.

[quote author=FoxForceFive link=topic=34033.msg883580#msg883580 date=1244360475]
No we dont, we need 1 Reina, 4 Carra's, 4 Gerrards & 2 Torres.

Like this:

Reina
Carra Carra Carra Carra
Stevie Stevie
Torres Stevie Stevie
Torres

That team'd win the league, excusing perhaps Carra's legs, so whilst we're in make believe land make Carra 3 years younger.

[/quote]

-----------------pepe-------------
gerrard---carra----agger---gerrard
gerrard----alonso--gerrard--gerrard
---------torres----torres------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom