• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Trent, Salah and VVD

Klopp announced his retirement in January 2024. The 3 players contracts run out June 2025.
The club new he was leaving in November. we had Ward and then Fat George, and then Hughes. Ultimately it boils down to the owners, for not keeping shop. What was stopping Hughes making the contract renewals top priority? He had Edwards and Ward to help him out.
This is on FSG and Hughes for not setting down with the players in the summer.

I think this really is a blameless transition issue. Their timeframe for renewals came during the Klopp exit. Then they didn't want to renew till they met and tried out the new boss. All very understandable. It's just one of those things.

I think this really is a blameless transition issue. Their timeframe for renewals came during the Klopp exit. Then they didn't want to renew till they met and tried out the new boss. All very understandable. It's just one of those things.
I don't get that for Trent. We shouldn't be renewing Salah, we were right to wait and see with van dijk, but Trent?

I don't get that for Trent. We shouldn't be renewing Salah, we were right to wait and see with van dijk, but Trent?

I think the same applies for him too. Maybe they wanted to wait to see Arne. I mean he could have been a Ten Haaaaah

Paris St-Germain are leading the race to sign Egypt forward Mohamed Salah and will look to tempt the 32-year-old, whose Liverpool contract expires at the end of the season, with a three-year deal
Real Madrid have already made contact with England defender Trent Alexander-Arnold, 25, as they attempt to lure him away from Liverpool at the end of the season.

Both sound like deals that have been in the works for 1-2 yrs. PSG need a leading striker too, they are blunt at the moment. Pity to lose at least one without a fee especially Trent.

PSG for Salah makes a lot of sense. Much more than going to Saudi and becoming an insignificance. They'll offer him big dough too.

For me this far more of a worry than incomings...
To let all 3 run their contracts down would be mind bogglingly stupid, we are talking about £250m of assets there. Any one know what the latest is? We can't blame Klopp for over loyalty now, if all 3 leave on afree whats the logic behind it? Where is the financial sense?
I posted this in July.
November 2023, FSG knew that Klopp was leaving. They could have tasked someone to renew or sell them in Jan. Then summer came, they appointed Hughes in early 2024, and what's he done? Sorting out these 3s contract should have been #1. At the end of the day its FSGs job to look after the shop floor they have to make sure they don't have stock that will go unsold near its expiry date.

Only reason for going to PSG would be money.
He'll win a few French leagues, but so what?
He's got a better chance of winning the Champions League with us.
And if money is his priority, then it's Saudi all the way. He'll still get picked for Egypt.
I expected that all three of these players would want to see how things were going with Slot before committing, that makes sense. But we should have been in discussions with them way before now, so that there were offers on the table ready for them to sign as soon as they were comfortable with the new regime. That's the mistake we've made. By not speaking to them, we've opened the door for other clubs to approach them.

From the way salah and virgil are speaking they are hoping we offer them a new deal so they can stay. From the way trent is speaking he is waiting to see how this team does this season in terms of trophys before he decides to be a judas or not.

In the last 2 weeks the BBC have had Salah going to Saudi, going to PSG and staying at Liverpool for the rest of his natural life. They just repost crap they pick up from other sites ... never EVER take their gossip page seriously. Unless you have an agenda, then treat it as gospel when it suits.

Macca on BT commentary other day was confident he was in the know about contracts talks are in progress and they will sign. That’s coming from our first Bosman exit, interesting.
Partridge > Carra > Fowler > McAteer > McMoneyman

Only reason for going to PSG would be money.
He'll win a few French leagues, but so what?
He's got a better chance of winning the Champions League with us.
And if money is his priority, then it's Saudi all the way. He'll still get picked for Egypt.
I expected that all three of these players would want to see how things were going with Slot before committing, that makes sense. But we should have been in discussions with them way before now, so that there were offers on the table ready for them to sign as soon as they were comfortable with the new regime. That's the mistake we've made. By not speaking to them, we've opened the door for other clubs to approach them.

I could see him going to PSG as it's more credible than Saudi. It would be acknowledging that he's not quite the player he was at his peak anymore but that's he's not ready to be in the wasteland that is Saudi football. Plenty of money either way.

Seems like an option to save face if he ends up not continuing here.

Talks are under way to extend the contracts of Konate and Quansah but the club is still at an impasse with Mohamed Salah, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Virgil van Dijk. ( Paul Joyce )

Joyce pretty much said all 3 players want to stay but its obviously about them getting the best possible deal for themselves. Given were we are and the timeframe available the players have all the leverage.
Still expect all 3 to sign new deals, but it will probably cost us a bit more then what it could if it was done earlier.

Hughes inherited a shit show regarding those contracts. Lets hope he gets them sorted.

The chance any of them being offered & agreeing to a new deal is unlikely, nevermind all 3. Their agents will already be planning ahead for pre-contracts in Jan. They're gone. Accept, make your peace & learn to live with it.

Hughes is a big, fat, massive wanker.
Edwards is a big, fat, massive wanker.
Moore, Hogan, Werner, Linda, Henry.....the lot, all big, fat, massive wankers.

Yeah it's not gonna happen. Still have hopes for Trent but the other two are getting plaques

I doubt the discussions on Konate/Quansah are prioritised or getting in the way of the others. It just is what it is. Both extensions should be welcomed. I get the vibes both will be here for a considerable amount of time. One fuck up aside Konate has been superb this year. I'm also enjoying 'IBOUUUUUUUU' booming out around the grounds every time he wins the ball, which is often—if he wasn't already then he's fast becoming a fan favourite.

As for Quansah, the fact Newcastle valued him at ~£60M shows how highly regarded he is within the game. There's homegrown/PL/PSR inflation and tax bolted on, but still. There are not many CB prospects better out there.

Paul Joyce of The Times on the "continued impasse" the club has with Trent, Salah and VVD:

The Liverpool head coach Arne Slot said on Friday that there was no update on the future of VVD, Salah and TAA who are all out of contract at the end of this season. That situation, one inherited by the sporting director Richard Hughes, is far from ideal, and the overtures to other members of the squad are partly motivated by desire to prevent a similar scenario from materializing. (Source: ...https://youtu.be/ThJ7-bm5Z1I?t=94...)

Impasse: "A situation in which no progress is possible especially because of a disagreement or deadlock." Impossibility of progress, threfore.
(Source: ...https://youtu.be/ZjF5Q8GBU1c?t=325...)

Paul Joyce is a journalist that works for The Times and that is relatively well connected to the Liverpool Football Club - at least according to that fella from that source above. That means that the word IMPASSE was given to him by his connections at the club. That is the implication, and that is how these stories develop. The journalist has a conversation with someone from the club, and that someone tells the journalist whatever they are prepared and willing to publicly share. That is how information gets out and how stories get made.

The club, therefore, appears to send out a clear signal that VVD, Sala and TAA contracts will not be renewed. And the three of them appear to be a clique, meaning that they seek to collectively and together protect their interests and force the club into actions that they desire. The three of them seem to operate together. And the three of them appear to be talking to other players too, as all players do, and influencing them. Hence the club's discussions with Konate and Quansah. Sounds like a standoff (in addition to impasse) and it sounds like the club is itself willing to suggest as much.

It is important to note here that IT IS THE CLUB that has suggested that discussions with Konate and Quansah were commenced "partly" in order to "prevent a similar scenario from materializing." That is how the club wants that issue to be seen.

The club also appears to be sending out the message that Richard Hughes should not be held responsible for this situation given that he "inherited" it. The club seeks to protect Hughes. Why would the club seek to go out of its way to protect Hughes in this situation is perhaps curious/unclear? It seems like there could be some further information that could be unearthed regarding Hughes, his involvement, and his relationships/issues with what is going on in the Liverpool's dressing room. Seems like the club is seeking to forestall or preempt certain issues that it anticipates will arise in regard to Hughes and his involvement in this.

Either the club seeks to protect Hughes OR Hughes was BROUGHT IN to deal with this situation so that the person who IS responsible for it would be concealed and not face public scrutiny. If Hughes has inherited this situation then the very, very obvious question is: Who didn't inherit it? Who was involved in it?

In any case it IS curious that Liverpool Football Club proclaims that the person that is dealing with some situation has inherited it. As if though Liverpool has completely new owners who start working for the club and say that they have "inherited" many problems from the previous owners/managers. Owners (and management) cannot inherit problems that happened while they were owning (and managing) the club.

Hence this presents itself as a critical question: If Richard Hughes has inherited this situation who didn't inherit it? And THAT is the question that any credible journalist should have asked. Seems like FSG don't want to have Hughes, who has been recently acquired, tainted by this situation.

It seems that Liverpool owners have taken on some sort of a new or changed direction. Part of that new/changed direction has to do with Klopp being gone, new sporting director in, and now this impasse/standoff. Personally, I have no big qualms with them not wanting to sign Trent, Salah or VVD. Those are decisions on individual players subject to their age, form, and other things. But I do have an issue with them changing away from Jurgen Klopp. Why did that happen? Was it necessary? Was it related to this dressing-room issue with TAA, VVD, Salah? My personal and current best guess is that Klopp lost control of the dressing room, has had enough with TAA, VVD running things as they see fit, and has decided to resign. I think that those were the personal things that were too stressful for him.

Back
Top Bottom