• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

RAFA ON STOKE, SPURS AND FORM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ossi

Active
From http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N165470090819-0805.htm:

Journalist: Rafa, we know you're disappointed by the weekend's performance and result against Tottenham. It is early days, but being three points behind the other top teams is a setback already isn't it?

It is too early, but clearly we are disappointed and we did not play well. We did not play a good pre-season, so I tried to protect the team by staying compact and well organised, but we did not play well in the first half. However, the second half was much better and that is positive. Another positive is that we have another game so soon after, which is good because if we win it will be easier.

Journalist: The players know they did not play well on Sunday - how have they responded?

We have analysed the game, watched some clips and the players know they have to improve. In terms of the commitment of the players, I was pleased because they were working very hard, especially in the second half when we played much better.

Journalist: You mentioned pre-season - were your team at the right level for you or do you feel you were hampered by the fact your team arrived back at different times? Are they not 100 per cent match fit?

We have different levels in the squad. Players who have been training since the beginning are doing really well - you saw Lucas play well on Sunday - but some players are not 100 per cent fit or lack match fitness, so they will need more time. The majority of them are right, but some of them - maybe some of our most important players - need to improve a little bit.

Journalist: Inevitably after the game the press wrote Liverpool are not strong enough to win the league. Do you think a lot more teams will fall victim to the likes of Spurs and Manchester City this season?

I think we will see clubs like Aston Villa, Tottenham and City show they are very good teams with good players, quality and experience, so maybe the league will be closer. That is something good because while we have lost one game, maybe United, Chelsea and Arsenal will lose games too. The main thing is to be ready for the next game and keep our confidence because the squad is the same as last season, more or less. It is not fair when people compare Alonso and Lucas. It is easy for some pundits and experts to try and compare them, but they are two different players and we have brought in Aquilani to replace Alonso. So I don't think it is fair to compare them, but it is easy to target Lucas instead of talking about Gerrard and Torres because these people who talk too much are not brave enough to do so.

Journalist: How important is it to get off to a winning start at home and beat teams like Stoke City?

It is always important to win. It does not matter whether it is at home or away, but because we have already lost one game I think it is important to show our fans we have quality in the squad and we can play well and beat these teams.

Journalist: Are you glad you have another game so quickly so you can put Sunday behind you, or could your players do with a week on the training ground?

As I said before, when you don't win and do not play well, it is important to have another game quickly. Sometimes having a week to prepare the team is good, but in this instance three days' time is enough. Everybody is ready, so I think playing at home will be good for us.

Journalist: On Tottenham's substitutes' bench on Sunday they had a lot of experience and strikers who cost a lot of money. Compared to your bench, is that a concern?

Not really. We have to work with the players we have and we are really pleased with them. If they work hard, we will support them all the time. Some of the young players can improve and learn, and if they have more opportunities they will gain more experience, with the senior players helping them.

Journalist: Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard have forged a fantastic partnership in attack, but until Alberto Aquilani is fit again is there a concern you may have to deploy Steven in a more orthodox midfield role to get the right balance?

It is an option. When we were considering Aquilani, we were aware he was injured and he will need some time, so we knew using Gerrard a little bit deeper could be a solution. We will see for the next game - we have players with quality who can do the job.

Journalist: Are you still working on trying to bring players in?

The scouting department always has to be working and trying to find players just in case. You never know what will happen, so until the last day of the transfer window you have to be ready.

Journalist: Martin Skrtel's injury against Tottenham looked quite serious, but he managed to play on until the second half. Do you have an update on your defenders?

Agger is injured and will not play for at least another two or three weeks - we are trying to find a solution to his back problems. Skrtel was training this morning, so we will decide before the game.

Journalist: Stoke City are a very capable side aren't they? They caused Liverpool problems last season and can make it difficult for the big clubs...

They are capable of causing problems for anyone. They finished 12th in the league last season, which was really good. Their manager knows the players he has and the strengths of his team. They are doing really well and it will be a difficult game for us. I'm sure they'll be difficult for other teams too.

Journalist: Is there a danger the performance at White Hart Lane may affect the confidence of your team against Stoke?

No, I don't think so. The players have a clear idea of what to do during the game. I'm sure our fans know they have to support the team. The way to change things is to back the team, especially if they work hard. I am sure the support of the fans will make it easier for the players to perform better.

[quote author=Ossi link=topic=35322.msg927620#msg927620 date=1250670904]
We did not play a good pre-season, so I tried to protect the team by staying compact and well organised, but we did not play well in the first half.
[/quote]

Heh.

Everyone moans about the qualifiers, but I think not playing them this season has hampered us a bit, there's nothing like a competitive game to prepare you for the new season. And the way we've played in most qualifiers, it's usually served as a wakeup call too.

Weirdly, I wonder if not having to qualify for the Champions league had a negative effect on us. We had to be fit and focussed in previous seasons. This pre-season we seemed to be neither.

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=35322.msg927632#msg927632 date=1250671747]
Everyone moans about the qualifiers, but I think not playing them this season has hampered us a bit, there's nothing like a competitive game to prepare you for the new season. And the way we've played in most qualifiers, it's usually served as a wakeup call too.
[/quote]

Snap! We certainly seemed to sleepwalk through those pre-season games.

[/quote]

I think we should just copy Arsenal's preseason preparations next year. They don't get loads of money for travelling around Asia, granted, but they did look pretty good against Everton in their first competitive match.

[quote author=gkmacca link=topic=35322.msg927635#msg927635 date=1250671939]
[/quote]

Snap! We certainly seemed to sleepwalk through those pre-season games.
[/quote]

Definitely. I'd mentioned this a few weeks ago, but by trying out so many players pre-season and only really playing one game in preparation with our best available team, (not to mention injuries), you have to wonder.

How much football did Reina play pre-season? It's amazing he was so alert against Spurs.

So I don't think it is fair to compare them, but it is easy to target Lucas instead of talking about Gerrard and Torres because these people who talk too much are not brave enough to do so.

Quite.

Credit to Reina for being on top-form straight away, but it's definitely easier for keepers to go from a shit pre-season to competitive match play. It also helps his concentration levels are very high.

[quote author=rage link=topic=35322.msg927706#msg927706 date=1250675982]
interesting there rafa pretty much admitting that lucas may not be good enough.
[/quote]

Why does he? He basically says that he's being made a scapegoat when more established players have underperformed. And that it's unfair to compare him to Alonso when they're essentially different types of player, which is why he's 'replaced' Alonso.

[/quote]In what way does he even remotely intimate that? CLUE:NONE

[/quote]

he says don't compare them because they are different players.
that's like saying don't expect johnson to get more goals than gerrard, that's not exactly saying johnson is shit is it?

Aquilani's a "different" style of player too, though.

He's not too dissimilar to Lucas in terms of his movement, he's just possess a lot more quality in areas where it matters.

Rafa knows Lucas isn't good enough to be first choice throughout the season, I think that's what Rage was getting at.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=35322.msg927713#msg927713 date=1250676230]
[/quote]

Journalist: Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard have forged a fantastic partnership in attack, but until Alberto Aquilani is fit again is there a concern you may have to deploy Steven in a more orthodox midfield role to get the right balance?

It is an option. When we were considering Aquilani, we were aware he was injured and he will need some time, so we knew using Gerrard a little bit deeper could be a solution. We will see for the next game - we have players with quality who can do the job.

[quote author=rage link=topic=35322.msg927731#msg927731 date=1250677364]
[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=35322.msg927713#msg927713 date=1250676230]
[/quote]

[/quote]

We have different levels in the squad. Players who have been training since the beginning are doing really well - you saw Lucas play well on Sunday - but some players are not 100 per cent fit or lack match fitness, so they will need more time. The majority of them are right, but some of them - maybe some of our most important players - need to improve a little bit.

I think he's just asking for some leadership on the pitch and for his best, established players to lead by example. Carra, Torres and Gerrard were shockingly below par on Sunday.

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=35322.msg927739#msg927739 date=1250678506]
I think he's just asking for some leadership on the pitch and for his best, established players to lead by example. Carra, Torres and Gerrard were shockingly below par on Sunday.
[/quote]

almost to a man the entire team were dreadful. it's like our preseasons are a waste of time because we always start the season like we haven't played for years.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=35322.msg927741#msg927741 date=1250678830]
[/quote]

almost to a man the entire team were dreadful. it's like our preseasons are a waste of time because we always start the season like we haven't played for years.
[/quote]

Yeah, but we consolidated our fan base in Asia. That's the important thing.

Very good article:
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/...pool-loss-blown-out-of-proportion-its-a-fact/

Reaction to Liverpool loss blown out of proportion - it's a fact

Rafa Benitez, famously, likes facts. He keeps detailed lists of them in his pocket, for use on a variety of social occasions. He is most probably aware, then, of the old truism – first outlined by that noted philosopher, Homer Simpson – that you can prove anything with facts.

Take the fact of Liverpool’s opening day defeat to Tottenham. According to misspelled sports analysis firm Bettorlogic, losing at White Hart Lane has left Benitez’s side’s title dreams in tatters. Apparently, over the last six seasons, only two of the Big Four have ever lost on the opening day. Fact. Neither of those sides – Manchester United in 2004 and Liverpool a season previously – went on to win the league that year. Fact.

“Rafa Benitez’s side will have to quickly get their act together to stay in the hunt for the title,†intones Bettorlogic’s CEO Mike Falconer, in his company’s press release. “If it’s not already too late.â€

To watch, listen to and read many of the obituaries drawn up in the name of Liverpool’s title challenge, even that bizarre extrapolation of a conclusion from arbitrary, coincidental statistics may be a mite optimistic.

To many, it is already far, far too late. Liverpool’s flat performance at White Hart Lane, it seems, has left them with just 37 games to claw back an all but unbridgeable three-point deficit on all their main rivals and nigh on extinguished their hopes of winning the league.

Rafa Benitez should not have sold Xabi Alonso, his only creative midfielder. Instead of wasting £40 million on Glen Johnson and Alberto Aquilani, he should have bolstered his squad, in case injury hits Fernando Torres or Steven Gerrard. Should that happen, Liverpool would struggle to qualify for the UEFA Cup, let alone the Champions League. All, after one game, facts.

It is doomsday punditry of the worst kind, and Benitez clearly has little time for it. Asked yesterday if he thought the critics had a point, the Spaniard genially enquired as to who the prime culprits were. Jamie Redknapp, for one, came the reply. A wry smile, a Hispanic shrug of the shoulders. “It’s easy to criticise on television,†he said. “They’ve never managed a team that’s lost a game.â€

It is unfair to single out Redknapp, but he is certainly one of the worst offenders of a breed of pundits who now litter our TV screens, airwaves, websites and newspapers, using the word “literally†when they mean “figuratively,†jerking their knees under both definitions and proving anything they want with facts.

The problem with such an approach is that it relies upon leaving out other facts. Facts like Alonso wanting to leave, informing Benitez that he would be returning home in May and going so far as handing in a formal transfer request in three months later.

Contrary to Tony Gale’s incredible assertion during the match at White Hart Lane that “Benitez never fancied Alonso,†not only did the Liverpool manager buy the Basque and turn him into one of the best midfielders in the world, he also sought to keep him until it became clear his appeals were falling on deaf ears.

Or the fact that Benitez has been roundly criticised for five years for buying squad players, yet the minute he chooses to add two thoroughbred options to his squad, he is informed he needed quantity rather than quality. Given the financial constraints placed upon his transfer activity by Liverpool’s owners – Benitez is operating a barter economy in a capitalist world, spending only what he raises – quality in quantity was simply not an option.

That, of course, has given free rein to critics wishing to advance that most specious of arguments when it comes to Benitez’s side, the over-reliance on Torres and Gerrard. Leaving aside the irony that, if it were true, it therefore contradicts the criticism of selling Alonso, it is also bunkum.

Yes, Liverpool are weaker without their two best players. But taking Cesc Fabregas and Robin Van Persie out of Arsenal’s side would have much the same effect. Even Chelsea and Manchester United would find life harder without Frank Lampard, Didier Drogba, Wayne Rooney and Rio Ferdinand.

Besides which, Liverpool finished second last season, just four points off United, in a season when Torres and Gerrard only started 14 league games together. Still, you can prove anything with facts.

The problem isn't the lack of competitive games; the problem is the lack of cohesion in the squad and the fact that we looked so disjointed in every single pre-season game against decent opposition; as Espanyol and Atletico and even fucking Thailand showed.

Spurs were in Asia too;they didn't look half bad on Sunday, did they?

[/quote]

[/quote]
Except for Ryan rapping Babel of course.

He made "intelligent runs".

Twat.

[quote author=koze link=topic=35322.msg927901#msg927901 date=1250695235]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Twat.
[/quote]

what the fucking HELL are you going on about? did I say everyone was rubbish except babel?

internet warrior with the name calling. I could retaliate but seriously who gives a shit?
read back what you wrote to me, did it make sense in your head as you were typing it? it certainly doesn't make sense when you read it.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Twat.
[/quote]
Goodbye Koze.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=35322.msg927932#msg927932 date=1250696350]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Twat.
[/quote]
Goodbye Koze.
[/quote]

cheers oncy, any time I can return the favor (none sexual of course 😉 ) just say the word 🙂

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=35322.msg927933#msg927933 date=1250696435]
[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=35322.msg927932#msg927932 date=1250696350]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Twat.
[/quote]
Goodbye Koze.
[/quote]

cheers oncy, any time I can return the favor (none sexual of course 😉 ) just say the word 🙂
[/quote]I wasnt doing you a favour lid. he's been warned and doesnt listen. Shame really.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=35322.msg927938#msg927938 date=1250696653]
[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=35322.msg927933#msg927933 date=1250696435]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Twat.
[/quote]
Goodbye Koze.
[/quote]

[/quote]I wasnt doing you a favour lid. he's been warned and doesnt listen. Shame really.
[/quote]

well it sure feel like a favour

[quote author=Avmenon link=topic=35322.msg927946#msg927946 date=1250696811]
Was he momo?

Didnt sound like him.

[/quote]

going round calling everyone names for no reason, sounds like momo to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom