• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post Match Man United (A) - Sunday 1st September

Haven't been able to follow the match thread ( watched the game with 4 Man U supporters 🤣 ) just wanted to mention that our famous counter attacks are back!
Major props to Szobo who is thriving in that AM position.

Is the Sozbo comment banter? He didnt turn up.

What?!
What game were you watching...
To be honest first half he and Macca were very much on the periphery. The midfield was basically gravy, but that was fine as he put in a tremendous shift.

Szob improved second half with a lovely assist; but the decision to not shoot first time and try and step round mazroui was just fucking daft.

In my opinion he didn't run the game. 1st half I don't think he turned up

Szobo had a mixed game, but he was involved throughout and was critical to the opening goal and many other chances. He wasted a few attacks, including the chance he had to score when he tried to showboat - that would have sent us top of the league.

However he's critical to the way our press works. Slot even said after the game that one of the big tactical changes he made in this game was putting Szobo more focused on the left than the right, moving where our overload is.

To be honest first half he and Macca were very much on the periphery. The midfield was basically gravy, but that was fine as he put in a tremendous shift.

Szob improved second half with a lovely assist; but the decision to not shoot first time and try and step round mazroui was just fucking daft.

Diaz's goal came from a Szob interception, great pass out to Mo and actually a very well executed evasion of the cross. Many other players would have tried to compete with Diaz for the ball but he was selfless enough to get the hell out of the way.

I don't really remember the second half that well but Szob (though not alone) was pretty sloppy on the ball in the first half.

He's had some good periods so far this season but I think it goes without saying that he needs to improve and be more consistent.

It felt incredibly ironic that outside the box he very frequently tries to lash it in first time, but when it rolls to him nicely in the 6 yard box he tries to take multiple touches to compose himself. It's lucky we were 3 up, that was almost unforgivable and would be if we needed to score.

First half

Gravy 9 - Macca and Szobo 6
Second half

Gravy 9, Macca 8.5, Szobo 7

Was how I saw it.

Edit and yes I'm deducting a point for that criminal none shot from 5 yards out

View: https://x.com/BenBocsak/status/1830290108731535403

He wasn't one of top 3 performers yesterday but he does a lot good off the ball that goes unnoticed.

Biggest disappointment yesterday was Jota though. Barely got a sniff and was just too weak at times

Yeah, his finishing ability papers over a lot of cracks. He's probably one of our weaker starters in terms of pure ability, and certainly not really suited to the lone striker role. Personally I wish we'd signed Ivan Toney.

Szobo had a mixed game, but he was involved throughout and was critical to the opening goal and many other chances. He wasted a few attacks, including the chance he had to score when he tried to showboat - that would have sent us top of the league.

However he's critical to the way our press works. Slot even said after the game that one of the big tactical changes he made in this game was putting Szobo more focused on the left than the right, moving where our overload is.

Exactly this, it's also how involved he is in our counters. His pace in middle especially during counters causes the opposition a lot of problems.
It's not easy to catch him when he runs with the ball.

Biggest disappointment yesterday was Jota though. Barely got a sniff and was just too weak at times
Agreed but he made some intelligent runs during the game which opened up space for our wingers.
The two defenders were focused on him all game.
He would have scored if Salah passed him the ball after the third goal.

img-20240901-wa0009.jpg

Hard to explain how calm I felt during that game, to the point where I was disappointed we only scored three. Sat with a couple of Gooners who were silent for the whole match.

I never said anything - didn't have to.

I think as Slot alluded to there will be more difficult days when we have to start playing three games a week. Slot's and his backroom teams ability to rotate and keep things fresh will show us how ambitious we can allow ourselves to be.

Great start though!

Yeah, his finishing ability papers over a lot of cracks. He's probably one of our weaker starters in terms of pure ability, and certainly not really suited to the lone striker role. Personally I wish we'd signed Ivan Toney.

He's more suited to our set up than Nunez, and his link up play and intelligent running off the ball creates loads of chances. Our attack looks much more well rounded with him as the 9.

I struggle to see how Toney would be a better fit.

Szobo is one of the players that for some reason doesn't get the recognition he deserves so far this season.
I think he's having trouble winning over some considering his performances last season.
But people need to understand that he's now playing in his favoured position with less defensive responsibility. Just wait until he gets more comfortable in the Slot system. Today he could have scored two goals.

He's more suited to our set up than Nunez, and his link up play and intelligent running off the ball creates loads of chances. Our attack looks much more well rounded with him as the 9.

I struggle to see how Toney would be a better fit.

What's Nunez got to do with it? He's shit and should have been sold. Obviously Jota starts ahead of him.

What?!
What game were you watching...

I think picking our Dom as a star man in that game is madness. I think he bypassed 2-3 shooting opportunities on the edge of the box for a poor pass, and should have scored it he literally just kicked the ball towards the goal. Yes, lovely ball for the Salah goal, not disputing that.

Athletic, good on the ball, good long range of passing but not a 10 currently. I would like the see Wee Harvey given a go.

I think picking our Dom as a star man in that game is madness. I think he bypassed 2-3 shooting opportunities on the edge of the box for a poor pass, and should have scored it he literally just kicked the ball towards the goal. Yes, lovely ball for the Salah goal, not disputing that.

Athletic, good on the ball, good long range of passing but not a 10 currently. I would like the see Wee Harvey given a go.
He wasn't in my top three, just wanted to give him some props.
Grav, Diaz, Salah were better.

Back
Top Bottom