• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool related transfer speculation

i'm expecting max 2. I think we'll hold off on a CB if sepp seems half competent. Reckon a mid and a forward.

Repeating what's been said several times before. We need to bring in one CB for definite (replacement for Joel), I suspect Sepp will get a chance to be the mix this season (VVD, Ibou, JoeGo, Jarrell, New Guy)

• Right wing forward as back-up for Salah. Or two if he goes!
  • Left wing forward if Diaz moves on
  • Keeper if Irish Kev goes
Possibly a DM as backup for Endo unless Bacjetic is the answer, possibly a LB if Beck isn't the one

It will be determined by who leaves. We will get in someone to replace those we sell. Most of the side will get an opportunity to impress Slot. Other than Diaz’s apparent desire to leave, I don’t think there are rumours of anyone else leaving.
Logically. However I'm sure every new manager has a budget and Slot will have told Edwards what he wants in terms of player profile. 2-3 aside from Sepp and Rio is my guess.

Repeating what's been said several times before. We need to bring in one CB for definite (replacement for Joel), I suspect Sepp will get a chance to be the mix this season (VVD, Ibou, JoeGo, Jarrell, New Guy)

Possibly a DM as backup for Endo unless Bacjetic is the answer, possibly a LB if Beck isn't the one

It would be nice, i just can't see it. I think excuses will come in early. Every CB we're linked to would cost the earth. There's value to be found in other positions, but CB is definitely one that cant be fucked about with

It would be nice, i just can't see it. I think excuses will come in early. Every CB we're linked to would cost the earth. There's value to be found in other positions, but CB is definitely one that cant be fucked about with
If that's true then keeping Sepp is a cert.

Since we have only two obvious gaps (CB & RWF) then we should have the budget. We certainly have a lot of wages slack

Logically. However I'm sure every new manager has a budget and Slot will have told Edwards what he wants in terms of player profile. 2-3 aside from Sepp and Rio is my guess.
That would be nice but adding more to this squad could make it feel all a bit bloated.

Ali
Kev (probably will leave)
That kid who I can’t remember his name

Trent
Bradders

VVD
Kotane
Quasi
Gomez
Sepp

Robbo
Tsimikas (may leave but no rumours)

Endo
Badger

Elliott
Mac
Slobby
Ketwig
Gravy

Salah
Gakpo
Nunez
Jota
Diaz (probably will leave)

Fab C too who will probably leave too.

Then the kids.

That would be nice but adding more to this squad could make it feel all a bit bloated.

Ali
Kev (probably will leave)
That kid who I can’t remember his name

Trent
Bradders

VVD
Kotane
Quasi
Gomez
Sepp

Robbo
Tsimikas (may leave but no rumours)

Endo
Badger

Elliott
Mac
Slobby
Ketwig
Gravy

Salah
Gakpo
Nunez
Jota
Diaz (probably will leave)

Fab C too who will probably leave too.

Then the kids.
I think we may see 3-4 departures from that list. Including a potential surprise or two. Especially if we buy a (nominally) 'DM'.

Fully agreed. My main concern is CB. Someone needs to replace Matips minutes and place them in the squad.

Everything else is subject to departures or is more of a bonus than a necessity. I've now seen enough of Williams to welcome him over Diaz. If he prefers us to Barca then we can shunt Diaz out the door. Williams looks comfortable on either side, too. Nobody would turn their nose up at a decent, aggressive midfielder to play 6 or 8, but we can wait for the right target there. If that is Gomes then we should act now.

See i'm gonna disagree with a few points here
We already have a big squad with top quality players.
We have a bloated squad and i disagree its with top quality players. There s a handful i'd sell in a heartbeat and never look back. I'm all for giving some a chance, but i also think that some are very clearly not good enough for what we need.
If Salah and Diaz are staying put, I see no reason to sign another player.
Nah, not for me. Diaz still isn't the answer and is getting older so we need (ideally) to sell and buy a long term replacement for Salah. Gakpo/Nunez could in theory do well on the left under Slot. Mo still had high output last year, but the performances didn't match it. I think we might see a decent drop off. Not a cataclysmic one, but i wouldn't be surprised if he didn't break 20 in the league
The only weaknesses I see in the squad is at LB, RW and FW positions but it's not exactly an emergency situation.
I'd add in DM to that position. I like Endo, but our depth afterwards is Stefan, and i'm not even convinced he'll turn out like a 6. For me, theres not point in buying backups when we're this close to the top. You buy to improve on players; so for me we buy a DM to oust Endo long term, we buy a RW to oust Salah long term, we buy a CB to oust VVD/Konate long term.

when was the last time someone stepped up preseason when it was somewhat unexpected and made a big difference to the season?

not being an arsehole, i just can’t remember if it has happened before

I'm usually in the "can't be arsed if we don't sign anyone" camp, but I respectfully disagree this season.

The fact that Arne Slot hasn't had the chance to assess any player is precisely why we should go ahead and get rid of those that haven't been up to the mark.

Since a new manager is coming in, a new player would be in the same position as one of the older ones. Everyone is on an equal footing. There's no need to worry about players "needing time to adapt" or altering the squad dynamics.

Arne: "Oh man why did you sell that Diaz guy, I haven't had the chance to assess him yet..."
Hughes: "Diaz? who...? We've never had a player named Luis Diaz. Did someone introduce you to him??"

We have a bloated squad and i disagree its with top quality players. There s a handful i'd sell in a heartbeat and never look back. I'm all for giving some a chance, but i also think that some are very clearly not good enough for what we need.

Nah, not for me. Diaz still isn't the answer and is getting older so we need (ideally) to sell and buy a long term replacement for Salah. Gakpo/Nunez could in theory do well on the left under Slot. Mo still had high output last year, but the performances didn't match it. I think we might see a decent drop off. Not a cataclysmic one, but i wouldn't be surprised if he didn't break 20 in the league

I'd add in DM to that position. I like Endo, but our depth afterwards is Stefan, and i'm not even convinced he'll turn out like a 6. For me, theres not point in buying backups when we're this close to the top. You buy to improve on players; so for me we buy a DM to oust Endo long term, we buy a RW to oust Salah long term, we buy a CB to oust VVD/Konate long term.
I agree with everything you say. I'd probably do the same thing if life was "Football manager".

But at the same time we've got a new manager and a few players like Bradley, Sepp, Q and Bajcetic who all deserve a chance.
Especially Bajcetic who spent the whole season on the sidelines in order to prepare for this one. Who knows, he might just oust Endo.

So from my point of view, if the club isn't selling, which I for the record am not that happy about, then let this be a season where Slot gets to familiarise himself with the cards he's been dealt.

when was the last time someone stepped up preseason when it was somewhat unexpected and made a big difference to the season?

I can't think of an example the way you put it, but isn't that what happens every time a youth player is on the verge of breaking into the first team? Sterling, Trent, Owen etc.

I agree with everything you say. I'd probably do the same thing if life was "Football manager".

But at the same time we've got a new manager and a few players like Bradley, Sepp, Q and Bajcetic who all deserve a chance.
Especially Bajcetic who spent the whole season on the sidelines in order to prepare for this one. Who knows, he might just oust Endo.

So from my point of view, if the club isn't selling, which I for the record am not that happy about, then let this be a season where Slot gets to familiarise himself with the cards he's been dealt.
Maybe some players will flourish under a new system (come on Trent) but every team needs to have new blood, competition and to rid itself of below par performers if it's going to progress and not become stale. We have a few.

I can't think of an example the way you put it, but isn't that what happens every time a youth player is on the verge of breaking into the first team? Sterling, Trent, Owen etc.

i’m not sure really, i think it’s often expected with the promising youths isn’t it?

as i type this @Squiggles has mentioned Quansah maybe that’s a good example. my interest in preseason and youth has definitely waned in recent years.

quansah did kind of come in and look much better than fans expected, did he impress preseason?

i’m not sure really, i think it’s often expected with the promising youths isn’t it?

as i type this @Squiggles has mentioned Quansah maybe that’s a good example. my interest in preseason and youth has definitely waned in recent years.

quansah did kind of come in and look much better than fans expected, did he impress preseason?
Its hard to really judge a CB in pre season; it's more consistent levels over the course of a few months, rather than 3 games looking good. With attackers you can judge them at their explosive peak, so that why they get the plaudits in preseason, whereas defenders its more about consistency.

Attacking wise, probably your sterlings is your best bet

Can't agree enough with this. My mind immediately cast back to when the club mouthpieces lauded Lazar Marokovic having skills beyond the planet, and also at one point suggesting that we might not need a new striker with an improved Christian Benteke. Club legends both.

Can't agree enough with this. My mind immediately cast back to when the club mouthpieces lauded Lazar Marokovic having skills beyond the planet, and also at one point suggesting that we might not need a new striker with an improved Christian Benteke. Club legends both.
I remember Ben Woodburn looking like a promising young goal scorer in pre-season a few years back. He has 5 league goals from 120 appearances, all in lower leagues.
Pre-season is about fitness, and making a bit of coin. That’s it.

The issue (as fans) is that, unlike in times past, we don't have any obvious dead wood so it becomes harder to figure out who would be best leaving.

Putting aside Nunez who is his own special case, it's not necessarily this player or that, it's just that the combination of players we have isn't quite right and as such we need to get rid of players who aren't necessarily bad but ya'know, someone has to make way.

Diaz, for example, would be fine if he was playing supporting cast in a functioning attacking line up, but he's not... we expect / need him to be a star man because the guys he's playing with are also not doing enough.

who was the record youth goal scoring striker from about ten years back or maybe more now? he scored from his own half and such but didn’t make it ultimately

Not sure what is there to assess, especially the current players from last season. If he doesn't already have the data or past videos of them playing under Klopp or internationally he shouldn't be in the job.

If he expected someone to rise up, then fair enough, but so far only Baj, SVDB, the keeper and to some extent Fabio is worth taking another look.

I don't have a clue what's taking them so long or if they even planned to or have any funds to bring in any new players. It should have happened already.

I think the season is starting in 4.5 weeks?

Back
Top Bottom