• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

BENITEZ BACKS BABEL TO STEP UP

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingDing

Very Active
Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has tipped Ryan Babel to become a major force at Anfield this season.

Benitez paid over £10million to bring the 22-year-old winger to England from Ajax in July 2007 but Babel has since struggled to hold down a permanent first-team place.

But having now spent two years in England, the Spaniard feels Babel is ready to step up and make his mark in the coming campaign.

"We are really impressed with him this year because he came back after the summer really fit, he's trying to do his best and it is very positive when you have a player with talent," Benitez said.

"The first two years is always difficult in another country but I think if you have the right mentality like he has now, he will improve."

Liverpool face Thailand in Bangkok tomorrow in the first leg of a two-match tour that also takes in Singapore.

Xabi Alonso, who has been heavily linked with a move to Real Madrid, has travelled with the squad and Benitez refused to be drawn on speculation a reported £30million move to the Spanish capital was imminent despite the player being quoted in the Spanish press indicating he would welcome a return to his homeland.

"Xabi Alonso is here with us so he will be available," he stressed..

"One thing that you need to understand is the Spanish press. The future of Xabi Alonso is to enjoy being here with the people of Thailand and the weather and the game. The next week he will be here."

Rather than viewing an arduous trip to the Far East as an unwanted distraction, Benitez feels it will prove beneficial for their title assault over the coming season.

"You need to know the players, the understanding between them, the fitness levels, you always have to analyse what happened last year and how you can improve," he said.

"The preparation in pre-season is really crucial so this week will be important for us, we'll try to train properly and try to play well if we can. It is a key part of the season."

Nah.. sell he is shite... Hope he proves me wrong though...

somehow though I get the feelin.. this will turn into yet another Xabi thread...

Well that's 7m I booked in my cashflow to fund the Silva purchase - out the window.

*Angrily rips up paper*

[quote author=jono@home link=topic=34828.msg909433#msg909433 date=1248162638]

somehow though I get the feelin.. this will turn into yet another Xabi thread...
[/quote]

I doubt that. It'll just be Spiderneil nodding along to Benitez's comments like a Churchill dog, while the rest of us wonder where's the funds for our new LW or back-up striker.

As for Babel, I do hope Benitez is right. Last season was effectively a write off for him. He may feel he wasn't given the chances, and he may have a point. But he choose to go to the Olympics and clearly didn't return in the right state. I reckon that pissed Benitez off something chronic and that was that.

From our managers comments there, it sounds as the attitudes improved, however Benitez does say the right mentality is important in succeeding in another country, suggest he, like the rest of us, still has doubts whether the Dutchman will make it.

The idea of Babel is much better than the reality.

I couldn't give a fuck about him to be honest. He wouldn't even make the bench in my best set-up.

The way he plays for Holland is real impressive. However they push the wide men further up the field than we do, and he is allowed to use his power and pace to cut in between full backs and CDs and the Alonsos of this world would have the easiest job in the world playing a short pass in between there... (If Van der Vaart can then Alonso can!!!).

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=34828.msg909450#msg909450 date=1248164089]

I couldn't give a fuck about him to be honest. He wouldn't even make the bench in my best set-up.
[/quote]

Saved me the trouble.

Pace, power, great shot at times, why isn't he performing? Cos he's not good enough.

Has a few great physical attributes but cant play footy at this level despite them. Give it up Rafa.

Powerful, pacy, kick and run merchant who looks good powering his way behind defences but his final ball is usually piss poor. We can do much better and hopefully will.

IMO what we have here is a "needs must" situation, much like the return of Voronin.  Not enough (if any) interest has been expressed in the player by other clubs, while we're not exactly awash with money to buy a replacement, so all parties are trying to put a brave face on things.

The one slight glimmer of hope is that, provided we can carry on this season where we left off last, Babel would be coming into a side high on confidence, playing some lovely stuff in a style which might suit him.  The difference between him and Voronin is that, IMO at least, he does have the talent to do quite a bit better than before IF we can find a way of setting it free.

"I feel after a turbulent spell in and out of the team, as well as finally feeling 100% fit, I'm getting back to my best after a really good pre-season, and can't wait to show the Liverpool fans the real Christian Ziege Harry Kewell Ryan Babel."

In a few years time, it'll be some other cunt.

I think he's shown enough to be worth keeping faith with.

Amidst everything, he has shown the ability to turn games on their head, as well as scoring vital goals.

I'm with him for now, but it's very much last chance saloon time for Ryan.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=34828.msg909474#msg909474 date=1248166605]
"I feel after a turbulent spell in and out of the team, as well as finally feeling 100% fit, I'm getting back to my best after a really good pre-season, and can't wait to show the Liverpool fans the real Christian Ziege Harry Kewell Ryan Babel."

In a few years time, it'll be some other cunt.
[/quote]

The perennial underachiever eh! I hope he proves us wrong though, but I doubt it.

[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=34828.msg909445#msg909445 date=1248163913]
[quote author=jono@home link=topic=34828.msg909433#msg909433 date=1248162638]

[/quote]

I doubt that. It'll just be Spiderneil nodding along to Benitez's comments like a Churchill dog, [/quote]

*nods*
*nods*
*nods*
yes...oh, yes...
*nods*
*nods*
*nods*

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=34828.msg909481#msg909481 date=1248167364]
I hope everyone will be willing to eat humble pie come end of the season ...
[/quote]

So you don't think we should be critical of someone who cost 11.5M and has been here for over 2 years, and can just about make it onto the subs bench?

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=34828.msg909450#msg909450 date=1248164089]

[/quote]

I'd always have babel on the if he didn't make the first team, it's funny how things seem to happen when he comes of the bench, but it's all despite him obviously.
case in point, fulham away, we are struggling to break down a resolute defense, babel picks up the ball goes past one player and drives into the final third, plays a ball to gerrard to plays a ball to yossi and the rest is history.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=34828.msg909485#msg909485 date=1248167554]
[/quote]

So you don't think we should be critical of someone who cost 11.5M and has been here for over 2 years, and can just about make it onto the subs bench?
[/quote]

I love how you're all over ryan but defend lucas who has done FUCK ALL since being here, oh wait, his attitude is spot on. well, that a relief.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=34828.msg909491#msg909491 date=1248167698]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I love how you're all over ryan but defend lucas how has done FUCK ALL since being here, oh wait, his attitude is spot on. well, that a relief.
[/quote]

Lucas is underrated, Babel's overrated.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=34828.msg909492#msg909492 date=1248167747]
[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=34828.msg909491#msg909491 date=1248167698]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I love how you're all over ryan but defend lucas how has done FUCK ALL since being here, oh wait, his attitude is spot on. well, that a relief.
[/quote]

Lucas is underrated, Babel's overrated.
[/quote]

overrated by whom? you can't include me in the list 😉

And in Voronin we also have one of the best players in Germany. Any time Rafa starts a sentence with "he is one of the best players...", you know you're fucked.

This summer is fucking shit.

[/quote]

Come on LTW, you probably said that last Summer too.

If he proves us wrong it'll more likely be an "about fucking time", rather than an "oh, you lot were right after all".

personally I think he has looked sharp and is doing a lot more tracking back, something I'm sure was annoying rafa. well if ryan fucks up this season no one will be surprised so ryan has nothing to lose by going all out.

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=34828.msg909499#msg909499 date=1248168015]
[/quote]

If he proves us wrong it'll more likely be an "about fucking time", rather than an "oh, you lot were right after all".
[/quote]

fuck that, if ryan comes good you all wont hear the last of it from me ;D

[quote author=keniget link=topic=34828.msg909495#msg909495 date=1248167960]
And in Voronin we also have one of the best players in Germany. Any time Rafa starts a sentence with "he is one of the best players...", you know you're fucked.

[/quote]

To be fair Rafa's comments a couple of days back admitted that he was pretty much stuck with him, but acknowledged his willingness to work hard and earn a place. He talks up players like this all the time, it's just public backing that's all for players who are putting in a shift. I'm sure if things go pair shaped for both players once the real action starts, then we'll hear different comments from Benitez.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=34828.msg909503#msg909503 date=1248168133]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just so we're clear, which Ryan are you talking about? 😉

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=34828.msg909510#msg909510 date=1248168255]
[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=34828.msg909503#msg909503 date=1248168133]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just so we're clear, which Ryan are you talking about? 😉
[/quote]

Was gonna make that gag myself actually.

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=34828.msg909507#msg909507 date=1248168171]

[/quote]

To be fair Rafa's comments a couple of days back admitted that he was pretty much stuck with him, but acknowledged his willingness to work hard and earn a place. He talks up players like this all the time, it's just public backing that's all for players who are putting in a shift. I'm sure if things go pair shaped for both players once the real action starts, then we'll hear different comments from Benitez.
[/quote]

each to their own but there are definately signs (to me at least) he is working harder. that's the first thing we can't expect players, it will be up to him to then build on that work rate.
in rafa's five years in charge it's patently obvious work rate keeps people in the team even when they are in horrendous slumps.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=34828.msg909513#msg909513 date=1248168377]
[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=34828.msg909507#msg909507 date=1248168171]

[/quote]

[/quote]

each to their own but there are definately signs (to me at least) he is working harder. that's the first thing we can't expect players, it will be up to him to then build on that work rate.
in rafa's five years in charge it's patently obvious work rate keeps people in the team even when they are in horrendous slumps.
[/quote]

I was talking about Voronin, Neil.

Voronin and Babel wouldn't still be here if we weren't skint. I don't mind either as bench options but neither is good enough for a start.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Some of the criticism has been especially harsh - Babel had a very solid debut season. To score 11 goals says something about his talent. THis past year was a very poor one. He got injured before pre-season, went to the Olympics and then couldn't get his game into gear.

I think even Neil mentioned how going to the Olympics and his pre-season injury will screw him ...

I think the talent and desire is there - Whether or not that translates into success on the pitch is up to two people to decide. I for one hope every here who continually rips into the player will also take the other tone if when the player turns it around this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom