• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

BENITEZ BACKS BABEL TO STEP UP

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=34828.msg909517#msg909517 date=1248168519]
[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=34828.msg909513#msg909513 date=1248168377]
[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=34828.msg909507#msg909507 date=1248168171]
[quote author=keniget link=topic=34828.msg909495#msg909495 date=1248167960]
And in Voronin we also have one of the best players in Germany. Any time Rafa starts a sentence with "he is one of the best players...", you know you're fucked.

This summer is fucking shit.
[/quote]

To be fair Rafa's comments a couple of days back admitted that he was pretty much stuck with him, but acknowledged his willingness to work hard and earn a place. He talks up players like this all the time, it's just public backing that's all for players who are putting in a shift. I'm sure if things go pair shaped for both players once the real action starts, then we'll hear different comments from Benitez.
[/quote]

each to their own but there are definately signs (to me at least) he is working harder. that's the first thing we can't expect players, it will be up to him to then build on that work rate.
in rafa's five years in charge it's patently obvious work rate keeps people in the team even when they are in horrendous slumps.
[/quote]

I was talking about Voronin, Neil.
[/quote]

I think we should hold on to him as well. I think suggests of loaning him out are daft, who are our senior strikers? I personally couldn't give a FUCK about the CC, fac and CL (yes, even the CL) but rafa obviously does do the bigger the pool of players to pick from the better meaning the likes of gerrard and torres get a proper rest when we aren't playing in the league.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=34828.msg909521#msg909521 date=1248168727]
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=34828.msg909485#msg909485 date=1248167554]
[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=34828.msg909481#msg909481 date=1248167364]
I hope everyone will be willing to eat humble pie come end of the season ...
[/quote]

So you don't think we should be critical of someone who cost 11.5M and has been here for over 2 years, and can just about make it onto the subs bench?
[/quote]

Some of the criticism has been especially harsh - Babel had a very solid debut season. To score 11 goals says something about his talent. THis past year was a very poor one. He got injured before pre-season, went to the Olympics and then couldn't get his game into gear.

Come on LTW, you probably said that last Summer too.

I think even Neil mentioned how going to the Olympics and his pre-season injury will screw him ...

I think the talent and desire is there - Whether or not that translates into success on the pitch is up to two people to decide. I for one hope every here who continually rips into the player will also take the other tone if when the player turns it around this year.
[/quote]

Did Kuyt go to the Olympics?

[/quote]

So you don't think we should be critical of someone who cost 11.5M and has been here for over 2 years, and can just about make it onto the subs bench?
[/quote]

Some of the criticism has been especially harsh - Babel had a very solid debut season. To score 11 goals says something about his talent. THis past year was a very poor one. He got injured before pre-season, went to the Olympics and then couldn't get his game into gear.

I think even Neil mentioned how going to the Olympics and his pre-season injury will screw him ...

I think the talent and desire is there - Whether or not that translates into success on the pitch is up to two people to decide. I for one hope every here who continually rips into the player will also take the other tone if when the player turns it around this year.
[/quote]

people underestimate the importance of preseason, if you miss it can fuck up your whole season as you are continually playing catch. if things fuck up this season for ryan, I'm out of excuses and I will redily hold up my hands and say I was wrong about the guy.

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=34828.msg909523#msg909523 date=1248168776]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Did Kuyt go to the Olympics?
[/quote]

no it was U21's. mash did and (imho) took ages to get back into his stride and he was playing week in week out when he returned.

Babel going to the Olympics shouldn't be used as a defence for him being poo last year as Benitez asked him not to go and to concentrate on a proper pre-season with the team. Ergo, it was his own fault.

Cheers, I couldnt remember who went, I know Masher and Torres have had their problems this season, it's a fair point, so Babel's got no excuses to fall back on this season.

[quote author=LarryHagman link=topic=34828.msg909529#msg909529 date=1248168983]
Babel going to the Olympics shouldn't be used as a defence for him being poo last year as Benitez asked him not to go and to concentrate on a proper pre-season with the team. Ergo, it was his own fault.

[/quote]

he shouldn't have gone, he'd just recovered from a bad injury.

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=34828.msg909531#msg909531 date=1248169026]
Cheers, I couldnt remember who went, I know Masher and Torres have had their problems this season, it's a fair point, so Babel's got no excuses to fall back on this season.
[/quote]

none.

If keeping isn't a big enough confidence boost for him, then I don't know what will be.

He just needs a good shake, a few slaps and to be told to man up.

[quote author=Anita link=topic=34828.msg909544#msg909544 date=1248169740]
If keeping isn't a big enough confidence boost for him, then I don't know what will be.

He just needs a good shake, a few slaps and to be told to man up.
[/quote]

Pretty much. Oh, and a first touch.

Well I can manage the shaking and slapping part if someone else is happy to sort out the first touch business?

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=34828.msg909487#msg909487 date=1248167626]
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=34828.msg909450#msg909450 date=1248164089]
The idea of Babel is much better than the reality.

I couldn't give a fuck about him to be honest. He wouldn't even make the bench in my best set-up.
[/quote]

I'd always have babel on the if he didn't make the first team, it's funny how things seem to happen when he comes of the bench, but it's all despite him obviously.
case in point, fulham away, we are struggling to break down a resolute defense, babel picks up the ball goes past one player and drives into the final third, plays a ball to gerrard to plays a ball to yossi and the rest is history.
[/quote]

Give me another three examples from last season.

[quote author=the_khl link=topic=34828.msg909557#msg909557 date=1248170517]
Babel will be a revelation this Season.

He's got to be.
[/quote]

I hope so to mate, but he has started this season like he finished the last, hot and cold.

Someone better kick him in his big arse and get him going..

[quote author=Hansern link=topic=34828.msg909563#msg909563 date=1248170671]
[quote author=the_khl link=topic=34828.msg909557#msg909557 date=1248170517]
Babel will be a revelation this Season.

He's got to be.
[/quote]

I hope so to mate, but he has started this season like he finished the last, hot and cold.

Someone better kick him in his big arse and get him going..
[/quote]
Those first pics of him during Pre-Season training gave me hopes - he looked more fit than ever to be honest. That has got to be a great sign.

[quote author=Delinquent link=topic=34828.msg909555#msg909555 date=1248170197]

I couldn't give a fuck about him to be honest. He wouldn't even make the bench in my best set-up.
[/quote]

I'd always have babel on the if he didn't make the first team, it's funny how things seem to happen when he comes of the bench, but it's all despite him obviously.
case in point, fulham away, we are struggling to break down a resolute defense, babel picks up the ball goes past one player and drives into the final third, plays a ball to gerrard to plays a ball to yossi and the rest is history.
[/quote]

[/quote]

1. off the bench to score the winner v manu
also absolutely destroys brown on the touch line and then plays the ball to kuyt who hits it at the keeper.

2. off the bench v SL
lots of huffing and puffing from liverpool, on comes babel who makes argubly the cross of the season for kuyt to score the winner.

3. off the bench v chelsea away
does a terrific job of holding up the ball, shrugs off alex and terry to almost score a peach of a goal.

I would have thought it was obvious that babel is one of the most effective players from the bench we have seeing as he is the 2nd highest scoring sub in the history of the club (since subs were introduced after the war).

I like Babel, but like Ryan said, maybe I like the idea of Babel more than I actually like Babel. All I know is I'm glad he's here, if anything he's a good squad member option, I hope he can get a few starts to his name though. Ideally if we signed Silva, in Babel, Silva, Reira, Torres, Gerrard, Kuyt and Yossi we have 7 players good enough filling in our front 4, each position being able to be played by at least 2 of the players. Strength in depth.

from Futurenews.com............

Liverpool's Ryan Babel was in confident mood at today's pre season press conference and claimed that this is the season that he will finally deliver on the promise he showed in his early career. He said..
"I know that previously I haven't consistently played to the required standard but I am confident that this season I will cement my place in the first team and play to the best of my abilities. I can no longer be considered a young prospect, I am at the age now where I have to preform to my highest level. And after a really good preseason and with a little bit more self belief I believe this will be the season where I finally arrive.

Ryan will be thirty three next December!

www.futurenews/ryanbabelwillneveramounttomuch.com

[quote author=the count link=topic=34828.msg909652#msg909652 date=1248177448]

Liverpool's Ryan Babel was in confident mood at today's pre season press conference and claimed that this is the season that he will finally deliver on the promise he showed in his early career. He said..
"I know that previously I haven't consistently played to the required standard but I am confident that this season I will cement my place in the first team and play to the best of my abilities. I can no longer be considered a young prospect, I now have to preform to my highest level. And after a really good preseason and with a little bit more self belief I believe this will be the season where I finally arrive.

[/quote]

33?! FUCK!!!

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=34828.msg909585#msg909585 date=1248172017]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

also absolutely destroys brown on the touch line and then plays the ball to kuyt who hits it at the keeper.

2. off the bench v SL
lots of huffing and puffing from liverpool, on comes babel who makes argubly the cross of the season for kuyt to score the winner.

does a terrific job of holding up the ball, shrugs off alex and terry to almost score a peach of a goal.
[/quote]

You're struggling, aren't you? Two of your examples you picked out from the WHOLE season resulted in us nearly scoring. Big wow.

Babel is right - he can no longer fall back on the 'young prospect' tag. Failure this season and he's off.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=34828.msg909657#msg909657 date=1248177803]
[quote author=the count link=topic=34828.msg909652#msg909652 date=1248177448]

"I know that previously I haven't consistently played to the required standard but I am confident that this season I will cement my place in the first team and play to the best of my abilities. I can no longer be considered a young prospect, I now have to preform to my highest level. And after a really good preseason and with a little bit more self belief I believe this will be the season where I finally arrive.

[/quote]

33?! FUCK!!!
[/quote]

Either they were joking or they need to revise nursery-level arithmetic. They've given him an extra 10 years there.

[quote author=Delinquent link=topic=34828.msg909718#msg909718 date=1248181821]
[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=34828.msg909585#msg909585 date=1248172017]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

2. off the bench v SL

[/quote]

You're struggling, aren't you? Two of your examples you picked out from the WHOLE season resulted in us nearly scoring. Big wow.

Babel is right - he can no longer fall back on the 'young prospect' tag. Failure this season and he's off.
[/quote]

I'm struggling because I'm not really thinking about it hard. I thought babel gave several good performance either starting or from the bench and then found himself out of the team again. I thought babel was terrific against OM away and was on the bench the very next game.

babel needs a run of games - if we buy silva and have as options silva, riera, dirk and yossi as our wide players i have no idea how babel is going to be given an opportunity to get that run of games.

maybe he'll get rotated with torres if that px for the striker with arbeloa doesn't happen.

infact the only way babel will get a chance to establish himself is if we don't buy another offensive player this window.

If a Dutch player can get to Babel's age & still have the first touch of a rapist then he simply hasnt got what it takes.

Oh, & he wont get played upfront, cos Rafa rates possession as one pf the main attributes a striker should have, rightly or wrongly.

[quote author=KingDing link=topic=34828.msg909431#msg909431 date=1248161370]
Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has tipped Ryan Babel to become a major force at Anfield this season.

Benitez paid over £10million to bring the 22-year-old winger to England from Ajax in July 2007 but Babel has since struggled to hold down a permanent first-team place.

But having now spent two years in England, the Spaniard feels Babel is ready to step up and make his mark in the coming campaign.

"We are really impressed with him this year because he came back after the summer really fit, he's trying to do his best and it is very positive when you have a player with talent," Benitez said.

"The first two years is always difficult in another country but I think if you have the right mentality like he has now, he will improve."

Liverpool face Thailand in Bangkok tomorrow in the first leg of a two-match tour that also takes in Singapore.

Xabi Alonso, who has been heavily linked with a move to Real Madrid, has travelled with the squad and Benitez refused to be drawn on speculation a reported £30million move to the Spanish capital was imminent despite the player being quoted in the Spanish press indicating he would welcome a return to his homeland.

"Xabi Alonso is here with us so he will be available," he stressed..

"One thing that you need to understand is the Spanish press. The future of Xabi Alonso is to enjoy being here with the people of Thailand and the weather and the game. The next week he will be here."

Rather than viewing an arduous trip to the Far East as an unwanted distraction, Benitez feels it will prove beneficial for their title assault over the coming season.

"You need to know the players, the understanding between them, the fitness levels, you always have to analyse what happened last year and how you can improve," he said.

"The preparation in pre-season is really crucial so this week will be important for us, we'll try to train properly and try to play well if we can. It is a key part of the season."
[/quote]

Translation: After trying to hawk him out to anyone and everyone, it seems nobody is interesting, so I better start bigging him up in the hope he'll play with belief

[quote author=singlerider link=topic=34828.msg909851#msg909851 date=1248200578]
[quote author=KingDing link=topic=34828.msg909431#msg909431 date=1248161370]
Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has tipped Ryan Babel to become a major force at Anfield this season.

Benitez paid over £10million to bring the 22-year-old winger to England from Ajax in July 2007 but Babel has since struggled to hold down a permanent first-team place.

But having now spent two years in England, the Spaniard feels Babel is ready to step up and make his mark in the coming campaign.

"We are really impressed with him this year because he came back after the summer really fit, he's trying to do his best and it is very positive when you have a player with talent," Benitez said.

"The first two years is always difficult in another country but I think if you have the right mentality like he has now, he will improve."

Liverpool face Thailand in Bangkok tomorrow in the first leg of a two-match tour that also takes in Singapore.

Xabi Alonso, who has been heavily linked with a move to Real Madrid, has travelled with the squad and Benitez refused to be drawn on speculation a reported £30million move to the Spanish capital was imminent despite the player being quoted in the Spanish press indicating he would welcome a return to his homeland.

"Xabi Alonso is here with us so he will be available," he stressed..

"One thing that you need to understand is the Spanish press. The future of Xabi Alonso is to enjoy being here with the people of Thailand and the weather and the game. The next week he will be here."

Rather than viewing an arduous trip to the Far East as an unwanted distraction, Benitez feels it will prove beneficial for their title assault over the coming season.

"You need to know the players, the understanding between them, the fitness levels, you always have to analyse what happened last year and how you can improve," he said.

"The preparation in pre-season is really crucial so this week will be important for us, we'll try to train properly and try to play well if we can. It is a key part of the season."
[/quote]

Translation: After trying to hawk him out to anyone and everyone, it seems nobody is interesting, so I better start bigging him up in the hope he'll play with belief
[/quote]

or he could just be telling the truth. weird for a manager I admit

[quote author=FoxForceFive link=topic=34828.msg909850#msg909850 date=1248200560]
If a Dutch player can get to Babel's age & still have the first touch of a rapist then he simply hasnt got what it takes.
[/quote]

Dirk's done alright don't you think?

[quote author=ibromurph link=topic=34828.msg909871#msg909871 date=1248204111]
[quote author=FoxForceFive link=topic=34828.msg909850#msg909850 date=1248200560]
[/quote]

Dirk's done alright don't you think?
[/quote]

anyway, how many people in our squad have a good first touch? five? less?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom