• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre match - Rangers - 8pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
100% match thread record lads, set pieces or not

The jobs yours until you fuck it up!!!!

Anyway - I want Nunez to succeed so much, but he should have scored tonight - finishing wasn’t great.

I love Diaz as well, but he needs to stop cutting in and shooting every time - 1 in 20 flies in, but mostly they’re either sailing over or tame - we particularly don’t need it when Salah does the exact same every time from the right.

I still feel like he’s too wide and we don’t get the runs that Mzne did as much - which probably led to loads more goals than we thought it did.

Felt more compact - which is good - less exposed and the pressing intensity looked much better.

However it was more like a 424 than a 4231 - and I thought they sometimes got in each others way and no-one really dropped deep enough between s defence and midfield to pull Rangers out of shape - maybe Carvalho or Harvey instead of Jota or Nunez.

In saying that, Jota is just playing his way back into form after injury, so maybe not.

Seriously though - I’m starting to believe the stories that Klopp has given up on Arthur already and he’ll be sent packing in Jan.

This was the chance which Kostas cleared off the line.

In the first phase, Trent was alright, 3v3 on our right.

Trent then, for some reason, instead of keeping back holding the line, he moves up, giving their player the entire space behind him to pass and run into. This happened alot against Brighton too, which costed us goals.

Not on a witchhunt here but when I see defenders effectively defending Diaz and Salah by just holding their position, I wonder why Trent always had to make it easy for the opponent.

We were defending a 2 goal lead, there is no need to press in this situation. Stay back and let them work hard to beat us.

Or am I reading this wrong?

Screenshot-20221005-110431-You-Tube.jpg

Screenshot-20221005-110452-You-Tube.jpg

Doesn't this look strangely familiar? Hint: Brighton
Screenshot-20221005-112238-You-Tube.jpg

Last edited:
4-4-2

I'll be surprised if we use it vs. Arsenal but we looked much much better, aggressive pressing and winning the ball higher up the pitch and but for the GK we could have had 5 or 6.
Mcgregor made 2 quality saves but the rest were all saves any half decent should save.
It was a decent preformance but it was against a poor rangers so not really easy to judge. Both goals were from dead balls, so disappointing to not score from open play.
Thiago wasn't great last night and Diaz too though he always gives 100%. Nunez was decent, especially in the 1st half, disappeared as the game went on.

Mcgregor made 2 quality saves but the rest were all saves any half decent should save.
It was a decent preformance but it was against a poor rangers so not really easy to judge. Both goals were from dead balls, so disappointing to not score from open play.
Thiago wasn't great last night and Diaz too though he always gives 100%. Nunez was decent, especially in the 1st half, disappeared as the game went on.
Three quality saves for me but he was still otherwise impeccable. Other teams score from keeper or defensive errors and most here don't acknowledge that. We weren't gifted that last night.
Whilst I agree with your general assessment I also take issue with your Nunez comment - he didn't disappear at all and frankly was unlucky not to score. The midfield however dropped off in chance creation with the introduction of Elliott and for the last 15 mins Milner. That's not on Nunez.

But no matter how poor the opposition that doesn't materially affect pressing per se - that is all on the team and last night there was a marked improvement on the lackadaisical, lazy and uncoordinated recent efforts.

Nunez is slowly improving, but has a long long way to go to fit into this system. I’m not quite sure why we signed such an expensive “another option”. I’m sure there are players out there who would fit our usual front three style of play an awful lot better than Nunez does, so I can only assume he was bought in to offer something different. I’m sure he can be coached to some degree, but it just seems a very strange way of doing things. Early days though…

Two set piece goals against a league one side. Cosmic.

Ha, yeah. It was definitely an improvement but Rangers were miles off quality wise.

They might be a different proposition at home with the crowd behind them but last night we probably should've spanked them about by about 4-5.

I really wanted Nunez and Salah to get on the scoresheet (properly).

Ha, yeah. It was definitely an improvement but Rangers were miles off quality wise.

They might be a different proposition at home with the crowd behind them but last night we probably should've spanked them about by about 4-5.

I really wanted Nunez and Salah to get on the scoresheet (properly).
I suspect they’ll be a little more open with the crowd behind them and adrenaline pumping.
Next week you’ll get your 0-4 or 0-5

hendo was really good, while thiago has been average the last two games

hope we start nunez against arsenal, with Firmino behind him to link play

I’m glad @Woland broke the ice there

meh, the team knew they were better than rangers and it feels like we played a side to dominate / demolish them but that didn’t really materialise at all.

Yep - this was the case, they hardly pressed us in that first half when we had the ball, they were attempting some kind of park-the-bus routine with the hope of hitting us on he break - probably wanting to try the TAA route like everyone else but our change of formation prevented them somewhat. However, have to say that their chances came as soon as we put Elliot and Milner on the pitch late one. Immediately the dynamic of the midfield was altered, and to be clear there is no way I would ever play Elliot in that right of midfield so long as we have more experienced established midfielders who can play that position.

After last night performance vs Rangers I have many concerns about the Arsenal game at the weekend...
Our performance was not great.

The 4-2-4 formation (and yes that was the way we played) seemed to cause congestion for our strikers and I feel hamper us more than help us in and around the Rangers box. This was evident from corners. Our players were getting in each others way

We seem to create fewer chances with 4 attackers than with 3, and someone here pointed out that we scored our goals from set pieces and nothing fron open play against average opposition that spent most of the game sitting back.
When they did come forward the created problems and so nearly scored...

TAA for me still remains a problem. His reluctance to break his neck to get back and defend. The gapping holes he leaves in defence in means Matip has to try and cover both his and TAA position, that means VVD is also pulled out of position and Tsimikas too.

Last night exposed more problems than it solve.It would have been better for us if Klopp stuck to his normal set up and just replace TAA with Gomez

Here's my take on it.

Our formation last night was changing throughout, probably didn't help we only had 1 session to prepare it so whether it was intentional or is up for debate.

Whatever it was meant to be it certianly suited Darwin, he was heavily involved popping up a lot on the left then moving over on the right before having spells centrally.

Diaz was also interchanging between the left flank and centrally.

Only 1 who looked out of sorts was Jota but maybe he's still looking for that match sharpness.

Also the midfield 2 looked much better, I get it was Rangers and their midfield never really got close to us all night but Hendo's position was great....was never behind the ball which is what's been happening a lot lately and why we've been so easy to get past.

We did what we needed to do last night, couldv'e won by a bigger margin but who cares Mcgregor put in 1 hell of a performance. You're never gonna not concede chances in games....Rangers had 2 all night.

"La verdad que yo, sinceramente, en las charlas que él habla, no entiendo nada. Les pregunto a mis compañeros lo que dice. Creo que tiene muy claro su juego. Él nos pide que hagamos las cosas simples, que no tengamos miedo de jugar, que nos tengamos confianza y que a la hora de perder un balón presionemos. Es eso lo que pide siempre"

I don't know what the question exactly was, but if he's saying that in a few months it'll be more annoying to me that he has to ask others to translate. No one is annoyed at Bobby though and he's been here for ages. Plus, in return tens of thousands sing to him as If he's a native Spanish speaker.

If Nunez starts finishing the good positions he finds himself in, we won't give a shit, as we desperately need an attacker who scores consistently as none of the others are.

Klopp is giving him the typical treatment of keeping it simple and allowing the newer players to find their game a bit and some confidence, but I expect it'll be longer with him, because he's a bimbo.

The only time I saw Nunez prior to him joining was when he played against us and for the most part, he looked great. Strong, fast and lethal.

Now that he's here, I don't really understand what it is that we've bought. He's got good physical attributes but beyond that there isn't one aspect of his game where I'm thinking, yeah, he's great at that.

I'm holding onto hope that it's a case of confidence, bedding in, all that shit and we get more of the player we saw last season for Benfica.

I wasn't impressed with him at all, even after he played against us. He broke the offside trap and scored, but even average players have done that and we were quite comfortably up by then if i remembered correctly. Another one was off a Konate mistake, meh.

Hope i am wrong.

Nunez is a dud. Klopp will start Milner against Arsenal. Arsenal are gonna rip us a new one whilst TAA is to blame for at least 4 of their goals. Your welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom