• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre match - Rangers - 8pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nunez is a dud. Klopp will start Milner against Arsenal. Arsenal are gonna rip us a new one whilst TAA is to blame for at least 4 of their goals. Your welcome.

Napoli are the only team to have ripped us a new 1 in about 2 years.

Don't let their near perfect start to the season fool you, they've played a bunch of pub sides and were beat the first time they played a top half Prem side.

The problem with Darwin is that off the ball he's got the body language of Torres. That used to piss me off about Torres, stomping about like a child, but he made up for it by being fucking boss when someone found him.

I heard some shit about Eddie Jones the England rugby coach the other day, and he was getting talking about how he picks new players into the squad, when he goes to have a look at someone he's thinking about getting into the side. He said by then he's already realised if he's good enough to play for the team, but he gets there a few hours before. He likes to see how the kid gets on with the staff at the club, how polite he is with the drivers, what his body language is like when they're winning, how he operates when they're getting beat. He already knows the player is good enough, it's whether they fit.

I think this is the bit you can't do by spreadsheet, and it's why there's still questions about Nunez

It was almost like he was consciously going OTT to visibly beat himself up over everything that didn't go right. There's just a distinct lack of composure, quality and looking like he fits the general mentality of the squad. Some of his passes are laughably bad, like REALLY bad. I'm hoping it's a case of us seeing a lot of raw potential with him, that will be sculptured into something special, because right now he's looking every inch the overpriced donkey. His positioning and anticipation are good, but his control and incisiveness just aren't there.

I know it's early days and I never rip into players this early, but I think you know a good player when you seen one, particularly under Klopp. This lad just sticks out like a sore thumb.

I'm not that bothered about his mentality. Not yet anyways. To me he just seems anxious and over-eager to impress.

It's more that for 60 odd million, you want to see that a player has that bit of something special... and with Nunez, we're kinda struggling on that front.

If he doesn't have the kind of all-round game we've come to expect from our forwards in recent years, his finishing is going to need to be pretty excellent to compensate.

I think hes just trying to overimpress. The berating of himself is no doubt due to the fact last year he was scoring those chances, or making those passes. Hell, even his close control is probably suffering due to the extra tension in his body

I think he'll be like crouch. Take a while to get going, but when he does he'll be great. Sadly, we really needed him to come in and be great immediately, especially with jota out and salahs form

That’s why the chaves
The problem with Darwin is that off the ball he's got the body language of Torres. That used to piss me off about Torres, stomping about like a child, but he made up for it by being fucking boss when someone found him.

I heard some shit about Eddie Jones the England rugby coach the other day, and he was getting talking about how he picks new players into the squad, when he goes to have a look at someone he's thinking about getting into the side. He said by then he's already realised if he's good enough to play for the team, but he gets there a few hours before. He likes to see how the kid gets on with the staff at the club, how polite he is with the drivers, what his body language is like when they're winning, how he operates when they're getting beat. He already knows the player is good enough, it's whether they fit.

I think this is the bit you can't do by spreadsheet, and it's why there's still questions about Nunez
Eddie talks too much. He almost believes his own hype.

I dunno anything about rugby. Just thought it was the exact opposite of our 'i don't even watch the player' ai system that buys our players now

I dunno anything about rugby. Just thought it was the exact opposite of our 'i don't even watch the player' ai system that buys our players now
I thought Klopp spoke to players before they eventually sign? I could have sworn he said we look at the player’s attitude and mentality before bringing him in.

It was almost like he was consciously going OTT to visibly beat himself up over everything that didn't go right. There's just a distinct lack of composure, quality and looking like he fits the general mentality of the squad. Some of his passes are laughably bad, like REALLY bad. I'm hoping it's a case of us seeing a lot of raw potential with him, that will be sculptured into something special, because right now he's looking every inch the overpriced donkey. His positioning and anticipation are good, but his control and incisiveness just aren't there.

I know it's early days and I never rip into players this early, but I think you know a good player when you seen one, particularly under Klopp. This lad just sticks out like a sore thumb.
This is it for me. Its his. Poor first touch/control that I find worrying. We can make excuses for other stuff being down to not understanding our System and bla bla he's young ect.... He's 23 and if you compare his control to younger attackers in our team then the gulf between them is massive. The space he got in Portuguese lge probably was a lot more that what he will get in the prem lge us the Prem is faster paced so that first touch becomes so important.

After over a month out from club football, Nunez was decent enough yesterday, rotating nicely in a fluid attacking quartet, always threatening, never gave up, his link up play started poorly but he was also firing off some nice crisp passes, and was unfortunate to not get a goal or assist.

There's loads of positional intelligence, speed, desire, and nicely timed runs on display.

I'm keeping the faith.

Sent from my 2201116PG using Tapatalk

After over a month out from club football, Nunez was decent enough yesterday, rotating nicely in a fluid attacking quartet, always threatening, never gave up, his link up play started poorly but he was also firing off some nice crisp passes, and was unfortunate to not get a goal or assist.

There's loads of positional intelligence, speed, desire, and nicely timed runs on display.

I'm keeping the faith.

That's what I saw. I'm struggling to recall a "shocking first touch".

Last edited:
[article]
Liverpool striker Darwin Nunez says he has found adapting to English football difficult but the Uruguayan accepts that has been partly self-inflicted.

Signed for an initial £64m, he scored on his Premier League debut, only to be sent off in the next game.

And if it wasn't for two members of Jurgen Klopp's coaching team, Nunez, 23, says he would have "no idea" what the Reds' German boss was saying.

"We don't talk much," he said. "I don't know English, he doesn't know Spanish."

Nunez has spent the last two seasons in Portugal with Benfica and two of Klopp's coaches - Pep Lijnders and Vitor Matos - speak Portuguese.

"They are the translators when Klopp talks to the group," Nunez told TNT Sports Brasil. "They sit next to me and explain what I have to do.

"If they didn't explain it to me, I'd enter the field with no idea what to do.

"But the relationship with the coach is that he supports me, gives me confidence and I have to repay that on the field."

'I have to calm my nerves and talk less'
After serving a three-match ban for his red card against Crystal Palace, Nunez has failed to score in five appearances for Liverpool.

But he made his first start for the Reds in a month on Tuesday, helping them beat Rangers 2-0 in the Champions League.

"The truth is that it was a little difficult to adapt but I believe that, as training and games go by, I will adapt little by little," Nunez added.

"[After the red card] was a very tough time. I know I made a big mistake and now I'm aware that it won't happen again.

"I have to calm my nerves during the games, talk less. We all make mistakes and I know it will serve as a learning experience.

"The important thing is to leave my mark on the team, be someone who can always contribute by playing well and, if I don't score, I have to be calm.

"When the first [goal] goes in, more will go in. I've been through that [before] and it's a little uncomfortable because, in the end, as forwards we live on goals.

"But I'm calm, the coach has always supported me. My team-mates also support me at all times and I will always try to help the team by scoring goals or, even without a goal, try to help the best I can."

[/article]
Nunez is having pretty much the same first season he had with Benfica. Fans were questioning his ability there, too, initially. You can tell from this interview that he's over eager and putting too much pressure on himself. He's a bit highly strung, he's in a completely new environment and he doesn't speak the language - clearly, he just needs to settle down a bit. I have no doubts he'll improve once he bags a few goals. Whether he'll improve enough, I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be writing him off yet.

I'm keeping the faith.

yeh that’s a good point about not giving up. Showed great desire.

The only time I saw Nunez prior to him joining was when he played against us and for the most part, he looked great. Strong, fast and lethal.

Now that he's here, I don't really understand what it is that we've bought. He's got good physical attributes but beyond that there isn't one aspect of his game where I'm thinking, yeah, he's great at that.

I'm holding onto hope that it's a case of confidence, bedding in, all that shit and we get more of the player we saw last season for Benfica.
Then go and look at all his goals from last season. What he's good at should then be obvious (hint. 50% of his goals come from inside the 6 yd box + heading + pace). Just because we haven't seen it yet isn't because he's not capable (do you really think LFC would spend that much on a player and not have done their homework)? It's because he's only played 340 mins for a new team in a new country/league.

Then go and look at all his goals from last season. What he's good at should then be obvious (hint. 50% of his goals come from inside the 6 yd box + heading + pace). Just because we haven't seen it yet isn't because he's not capable (do you really think LFC would spend that much on a player and not have done their homework)? It's because he's only played 340 mins for a new team in a new country/league.

It's not necessarily a case of not doing their homework. Sometimes transfers don't work out... as we've seen on many an occasion.

I've done the "early days" caveat in most posts. He'll get time to settle and improve. I can't speak for others but I'm just commenting on what I've seen thus far.

And to be honest, it's not a million miles off a lotof the reports / opinion pieces that we heard coming out of Portugal when we signed him - that he's still a developing player, rough around the edges etc.

It's not necessarily a case of not doing their homework. Sometimes transfers don't work out... as we've seen on many an occasion.

I've done the "early days" caveat in most posts. He'll get time to settle and improve. I can't speak for others but I'm just commenting on what I've seen thus far.

And to be honest, it's not a million miles off a lotof the reports / opinion pieces that we heard coming out of Portugal when we signed him - that he's still a developing player, rough around the edges etc.
Whilst some of that is true to some extent how many big money signings have not worked out under FSG and their statistical analytical system? Because I'd think that's more relevant than under previous regimes.

Of course he may be the first player in that most expensive bracket (for us) to fail, but after 340 mins and all the caveats that apply I'd suggest it's way too early to pass any sort of judgement on his skills and suitability, though some here have already made their minds up. I hope it doesn't take a season to integrate and get the best out of him but as we know not every player will hit the ground running.

N.B. I tend not to take too much notice of "reports / opinion pieces" because we've seen negativity for everyone from Salah to Mane to Robbo.

The key issue here is also that he doesnt speak the language yet. The sooner he learns English the better for him and his development.

No point in writing him off already, thats just stupid.

I'm not going to make any judgement on Nunez just yet.

I thought Firmino was dog shit until Klopp came in - then he was a completely different player afterwards.

Majority of the side is struggling at the moment - its unfair to be singling out Nunez at this point.

He's a willing runner, and more importantly, he's always on the move and seems to be quite elusive inside the penalty area. It gives me hope he'll come good with time.

I'm not going to make any judgement on Nunez just yet.

I thought Firmino was dog shit until Klopp came in - then he was a completely different player afterwards.

Majority of the side is struggling at the moment - its unfair to be singling out Nunez at this point.

Whereas Trent is fair game.

SCM loves a lynching

Whereas Trent is fair game.

SCM loves a lynching

TBF the same criticisms have been levelled against trent for years. I don't think it's particularly kneejerk. As his contributions going forward have diminished, it's harder to forgive his limitations

"We don't talk much..." "If they didn't explain it to me, I'd enter the field with no idea what to do..."

Am I reading too much into this or does he show hints of frustration with Klopp? Or is it finding excuses? Almost half of the team is South Americans and they are presumably doing everything to make him feel at home; 2 coaches speak Portuguese – seems like as good of an environment as one can hope to find in England. And it's his responsibility to learn English after all.

"We don't talk much..." "If they didn't explain it to me, I'd enter the field with no idea what to do..."

Am I reading too much into this or does he show hints of frustration with Klopp? Or is it finding excuses? Almost half of the team is South Americans and they are presumably doing everything to make him feel at home; 2 coaches speak Portuguese – seems like as good of an environment as one can hope to find in England. And it's his responsibility to learn English after all.
I think he's trying to explain his own excuses rather than blame Klopp. Hopefully he's pissed that Haaland is making him look shit and he's going to become a machine

We just need to start a war between Uruguay and Norway and he can bounce out like Rocky

Man that is like a newspaper editing a quote to best create a headline. It means nothing like that if taken into context and the whole quote.

Nunez is nothing more than a more mobile Carroll. I’ve seen enough and my mind is made up.

Haaland is 100 times the striker Nunez’ll ever wish he could be.

#ngmi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom