• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=35270.msg925906#msg925906 date=1250451162]
who has moaned about zonal marking? (other than Andy Gray)
[/quote]

I'm sure it will raise it's ugly head, my rant was a preemptive strike 😉

come on neil, taking kuyt off with 10 minutes to go was a mistake. nothing wrong with bringing voronin on but we should have subbed lucas or dare i say gone 3 at the back.

Firstly, the Babel thing:
He wasn't great admittedly. I'm not a huge fan, so I didn't really expect him to be. That said, he saw plenty of the ball and did little with it. There just has to be more from an 11M player in his third season at the club, cos the excuses are starting to wear thin. To contrast his performance to that of Benayoun's is easy, but unfair. Firstly, Yossi didn't have to track back, a luxury Babel wasn't afforded. Secondly, the game was stretched, and Benayoun was always going to get room on a hot day against a tiring Spurs side. His cameo role was exactly the sort of thing we've seen from Babel when he's come off the bench in similar circumstances over the years. Still, I liked Benayoun's effort, he's really gone up a level over the last year, and should start more games.

Our effort wasn't great. I thought we looked ponderous, unimaginative, slow, and tellingly - second to every ball. Spurs won by virtue of trying to make things happen. Yes we turned it on for the last 30 odd minutes, but that's not enough to win you games, especially when you've only really got one or two players capable of winning the damn thng for you. Our effort overall was typified in our reluctance to up the ante in the first half. The warning signs were there; Keane should have had a hat-trick and buried the game, but we were still 0-0 right up to half-time. If you get a chance, watch the second efforts of Kuyt and Gerrard once the initial free-kick that led to the goal had been blocked - minimal. That embodied everything we did.

So what to make of the result? I thought there were some encouraging performances, Johnson looked sharp, Mascherano got better as the game went on, ditto Gerrard, and Benayoun's now a first 11 player. On the flipside, we got overran in midfield, offered nothing from the left flank, looked ropey from set-pieces, and Torres had another one of those days where he spends the majority of his time on his arse, or walking around muttering to himself about the injustice of his opponent's rough tactics. Those performances are becoming a bit too frequent for my liking. It's not all about you Fernando.

Still, a loss isn't the worst thing. A lucky draw might have masked over the deficiencies, whereas now we know we can't just turn up and expect. Maybe this'll help Rafa's argument for loosening the owner's pursestrings, who knows? Whatever happens we need an intensity lift come Wednesday.

A word on Spurs who've come on leaps and bounds from the rabble that we humped on the last day of the season 3 months ago. Redknapp's bought well - Palacios was excellent, so too Bassong, and he's got two good full-backs there. I thought Defoe was marvellous, no goal to show for his efforts, but a threat all afternoon. Running the channels, presenting for it everywhere, and highlighting that you don't have to be 6 foot 7 to hold the ball up and bring others into the game.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=35270.msg926125#msg926125 date=1250468228]
He wasn't great admittedly. I'm not a huge fan, so I didn't really expect him to be. That said, he saw plenty of the ball and did little with it. There just has to be more from an 11M player in his third season at the club, cos the excuses are starting to wear thin. To contrast his performance to that of Benayoun's is easy, but unfair. Firstly, Yossi didn't have to track back, a luxury Babel wasn't afforded. Secondly, the game was stretched, and Benayoun was always going to get room on a hot day against a tiring Spurs side. His cameo role was exactly the sort of thing we've seen from Babel when he's come off the bench in similar circumstances over the years. Still, I liked Benayoun's effort, he's really gone up a level over the last year, and should start more games.

Our effort wasn't great. I thought we looked ponderous, unimaginative, slow, and tellingly - second to every ball. Spurs won by virtue of trying to make things happen. Yes we turned it on for the last 30 odd minutes, but that's not enough to win you games, especially when you've only really got one or two players capable of winning the damn thng for you. Our effort overall was typified in our reluctance to up the ante in the first half. The warning signs were there; Keane should have had a hat-trick and buried the game, but we were still 0-0 right up to half-time. If you get a chance, watch the second efforts of Kuyt and Gerrard once the initial free-kick that led to the goal had been blocked - minimal. That embodied everything we did.

So what to make of the result? I thought there were some encouraging performances, Johnson looked sharp, Mascherano got better as the game went on, ditto Gerrard, and Benayoun's now a first 11 player. On the flipside, we got overran in midfield, offered nothing from the left flank, looked ropey from set-pieces, and Torres had another one of those days where he spends the majority of his time on his arse, or walking around muttering to himself about the injustice of his opponent's rough tactics. Those performances are becoming a bit too frequent for my liking. It's not all about you Fernando.

Still, a loss isn't the worst thing. A lucky draw might have masked over the deficiencies, whereas now we know we can't just turn up and expect. Maybe this'll help Rafa's argument for loosening the owner's pursestrings, who knows? Whatever happens we need an intensity lift come Wednesday.

A word on Spurs who've come on leaps and bounds from the rabble that we humped on the last day of the season 3 months ago. Redknapp's bought well - Palacios was excellent, so too Bassong, and he's got two good full-backs there. I thought Defoe was marvellous, no goal to show for his efforts, but a threat all afternoon. Running the channels, presenting for it everywhere, and highlighting that you don't have to be 6 foot 7 to hold the ball up and bring others into the game.
[/quote]

Good post.

Agree with Ryan re: Defoe - thought he was excellent yesterday. First touch was superb and lead the line well.

[quote author=doctor_mac link=topic=35270.msg926213#msg926213 date=1250495771]

[/quote]

Good post.
[/quote]

Yes it was.

[quote author=doctor_mac link=topic=35270.msg926213#msg926213 date=1250495771]

[/quote]

Good post.
[/quote]

Ryan's observations are good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom